Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Sports

Old 01-09-2021, 12:55 AM   #1
barahona44

Location: Diez meses en Port St. Lucie, FL; two months in the Dominican Republic
NFL Super Wild Card Weekend

Yep, that's the OFFICIAL name the NFL is calling the 6 games being played this weekend.Sounds more like a promotion for an auto dealer's big clearance sale but I digress.

There have been changes.In past years only six teams from each conference got playoff spots with the top two getting byes.Now seven teams from the NFC and AFC get ducats to the dance and only one (Chiefs and Packers this year)gets the weekend off.Hence the need for three wild card games instead of just two.Wall-to-wall football!!

Here's where methinks the way the ball will bounce this weekend.All numbers are from when I am writing this courtesy of the friendly folks at vegasinsider.com which does a consensus of the Nevada sports books.For entertainment purposes only.

SATURDAY

Buffalo Bills (-6 1/2) over the Indianapolis Colts.The Bills have been on fire the past few weeks.With most of the starters on the bench in the second half, they still ran roughshod over Miami(seeking a playoff spot) last Sunday from start to finish.Josh Allen has really turned the corner at QB, although I wish he would shave off that sad little mustache.Dude, you're simply not hirsute! The Colts,at home, let the worse team in the league, the Jaguars, hang around last week, only sealing the game in the last couple of minutes.

Seattle Seahawks (-3) over the LA Rams.Russell Wilson vs John Wohlford (sp?) ''Nuff said.Hawks have been underachieving a bit this year,believe they can put up a good game.

Washington (+10) over Tampa Bay Buccaneers.TB should lead TB to victory but double digit home dogs in the playoffs make me nervous.Reds***s have an excellent front four on D and IF they can pressure the GOAT, things could get interesting in a hurry.Antonio Brown has played like the AB of old the past couple of weeks so the Bucs may not miss Mike Evans

Fleetwood Mac, Oh Well, Part 1 (1969)
barahona44 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-09-2021, 01:32 AM   #2
proximity

i hate almost half the league making the playoffs. really i feel that the top 3 division winners and one wild card should qualify per conference.

that being said, there was a post on colts.com that said josh allen struggles somewhat against the zone.....which the colts play the second most in the league. they don't play it well, lol, but maybe there's a chance?
proximity is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-09-2021, 03:44 AM   #3
ultracapper

Go Hawks.

Haven't heard if Adams is a go. Boy, he is one hell of a good football player. A great pick up by the Hawks. But, Adams is the heart and soul of the defense, and even though there is always Bobby Wagner and KJ Wright who had the best season of his career, I hate to see them out there without Adams. The offense might have to do a little more than they have been doing the past month. I can't tell you why the offense has been so sluggish this past month, but there's no reason they couldn't perk up real quick. All the key players are there. Let's see them put up a 30 this weekend.

With or without Adams, I'd be comfortable laying that 3 points. Hawks should figure out a way to win anyway, so that's half the battle. Stopping a team in the playoffs starting their backup QB for the first time this year should be worth a couple points anyway.

The Seahawks are at home laying 3. Doesn't that mean the line maker basically thinks they are equal teams on a neutral field? Man, If the Hawk offense hits on all cylinders, I feel like they're a much better team than the Rams. As it is, I think they're a measurable better team than the Rams anyway. Heck, I'd lay the 3 if the game where in LA.
ultracapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-09-2021, 02:46 PM   #4
Ray Donovon
Journeyman

Bill colts

Unbelievable bad coaching on display. Colts 3rd and goal at the 2.
What they should’ve done in the ball off to Taylor up the middle once or twice and get a touchdown.
What they did
Pitch wide and lose 2 yards, then foolishly go for it on 4th and goal from the 4 instead of taking the field goal to go up 6

To top it off the Bills on 4th and 4 on Indy 26 pretend like they are going for it, but instead hard count a dumb fuc on the colts into jumping offsides. How stupid can you be to get sucked in like that on such a key play. I would cut him at halftime and make him watch the second half in streetclothes.
Ray Donovon is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-10-2021, 01:43 AM   #5
barahona44

Location: Diez meses en Port St. Lucie, FL; two months in the Dominican Republic
Quote:
Originally Posted by barahona44 View Post
Yep, that's the OFFICIAL name the NFL is calling the 6 games being played this weekend.Sounds more like a promotion for an auto dealer's big clearance sale but I digress.

There have been changes.In past years only six teams from each conference got playoff spots with the top two getting byes.Now seven teams from the NFC and AFC get ducats to the dance and only one (Chiefs and Packers this year)gets the weekend off.Hence the need for three wild card games instead of just two.Wall-to-wall football!!

Here's where methinks the way the ball will bounce this weekend.All numbers are from when I am writing this courtesy of the friendly folks at vegasinsider.com which does a consensus of the Nevada sports books.For entertainment purposes only.

SATURDAY

Buffalo Bills (-6 1/2) over the Indianapolis Colts.The Bills have been on fire the past few weeks.With most of the starters on the bench in the second half, they still ran roughshod over Miami(seeking a playoff spot) last Sunday from start to finish.Josh Allen has really turned the corner at QB, although I wish he would shave off that sad little mustache.Dude, you're simply not hirsute! The Colts,at home, let the worse team in the league, the Jaguars, hang around last week, only sealing the game in the last couple of minutes.

Seattle Seahawks (-3) over the LA Rams.Russell Wilson vs John Wohlford (sp?) ''Nuff said.Hawks have been underachieving a bit this year,believe they can put up a good game.

Washington (+10) over Tampa Bay Buccaneers.TB should lead TB to victory but double digit home dogs in the playoffs make me nervous.Reds***s have an excellent front four on D and IF they can pressure the GOAT, things could get interesting in a hurry.Antonio Brown has played like the AB of old the past couple of weeks so the Bucs may not miss Mike Evans
Only the Reds***s covered.

Old 01-10-2021, 01:51 AM   #6
barahona44

SUNDAY

Ravens (-3 1/2) over Titans. The way both these teams run the ball, this game might only take 2 hours.Ravens are my choice among the 6 wild card teams to make it to the Super Bowl, they seem to peaking at the right time,

Saints (-10) over Bears. Chicago back doored into the playoffs.Not holding out hope of an upset.

Steelers (- 6 1/2) over the Browns. Cleveland has some serious Covid-19 issues.Pittsburgh playing blah lately, could be due for a big game.Blowout possibilities.

PLAYOFFS. (1-2)

Last edited by barahona44; 01-10-2021 at 01:56 AM.
Old 01-10-2021, 10:56 AM   #7
Robert Fischer
clean money

Thumbs up

Quote:
SUNDAY

Ravens (-3 1/2) over Titans. The way both these teams run the ball, this game might only take 2 hours.Ravens are my choice among the 6 wild card teams to make it to the Super Bowl, they seem to peaking at the right time,

Saints (-10) over Bears. Chicago back doored into the playoffs.Not holding out hope of an upset.

Steelers (- 6 1/2) over the Browns. Cleveland has some serious Covid-19 issues.Pittsburgh playing blah lately, could be due for a big game.Blowout possibilities.

PLAYOFFS. (1-2)
Good luck.

Angles?
Line Movement: I've kept one eye on the money and line-movement. Nothing jumps out.

Marketing: Market prefers that Steelers advance, but the line has appropriately moved from -3 to -6--6.5, so no value in that guess.

Game of the Day
Ravens vs. Titans

Pick = Ravens -3.5. Go Maryland. Go Baltimore.

(long winded analysis) (serious fans only)
This is a very good battle. Both teams come in somewhat sharp.
Facing elimination, it actually helps Baltimore slightly. Baltimore may be less inclined to protect/more-willing-to-use Lamar Jackson on hard runs for key yardage. If Lamar Jackson can get into a few monkey-in-the-middle situations where a linebacker or safety has to balance coverage between Jackson and a receiving target, the opportunity is in Jackson's hands to capitalize with some winning plays. (The Reverse- Titans will 'bluff' coverage commitments in those situations coming off a game vs. Deshaun Watson who attempted a similar tactic)
Titans come in playing well. Team defense effort. Run oriented offense. Ravens will be ready to sacrifice some pain on defense to stop the run.
Tannehill has had a career year, and showed surprising foot speed in win over Texans with a few designed runs. Some doubt as to whether he can continue to shine, or whether he will revert to his baseline. He'll need to continue that roll, under pressure. The book on him is to send pressure. The pass rush and his ability to hang in there and throw a good safe pass are key.
Old 01-10-2021, 11:25 AM   #8
metro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Donovon View Post
Unbelievable bad coaching on display. Colts 3rd and goal at the 2.
What they should’ve done in the ball off to Taylor up the middle once or twice and get a touchdown.
What they did
Pitch wide and lose 2 yards, then foolishly go for it on 4th and goal from the 4 instead of taking the field goal to go up 6

To top it off the Bills on 4th and 4 on Indy 26 pretend like they are going for it, but instead hard count a dumb fuc on the colts into jumping offsides. How stupid can you be to get sucked in like that on such a key play. I would cut him at halftime and make him watch the second half in streetclothes.
I wish there was a way to do away with the hard count in football. Just a lame way to try to get an edge in a game. It's like the flop in basketball.
metro is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-10-2021, 03:25 PM   #9
barahona44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Fischer View Post
Good luck.

Angles?
Line Movement: I've kept one eye on the money and line-movement. Nothing jumps out.

Marketing: Market prefers that Steelers advance, but the line has appropriately moved from -3 to -6--6.5, so no value in that guess.

Game of the Day
Ravens vs. Titans

Pick = Ravens -3.5. Go Maryland. Go Baltimore.

(long winded analysis) (serious fans only)
This is a very good battle. Both teams come in somewhat sharp.
Facing elimination, it actually helps Baltimore slightly. Baltimore may be less inclined to protect/more-willing-to-use Lamar Jackson on hard runs for key yardage. If Lamar Jackson can get into a few monkey-in-the-middle situations where a linebacker or safety has to balance coverage between Jackson and a receiving target, the opportunity is in Jackson's hands to capitalize with some winning plays. (The Reverse- Titans will 'bluff' coverage commitments in those situations coming off a game vs. Deshaun Watson who attempted a similar tactic)
Titans come in playing well. Team defense effort. Run oriented offense. Ravens will be ready to sacrifice some pain on defense to stop the run.
Tannehill has had a career year, and showed surprising foot speed in win over Texans with a few designed runs. Some doubt as to whether he can continue to shine, or whether he will revert to his baseline. He'll need to continue that roll, under pressure. The book on him is to send pressure. The pass rush and his ability to hang in there and throw a good safe pass are key.
You must have quite a crystal ball as you didn't mention Derrick Henry by name and so far thru 3 Q he has 28 yards on 14 carries.And actually Tannehill's foot speed isn't that surprising.He was a WR at Texas A & M , then switched back to QB(his HS position)

Last edited by barahona44; 01-10-2021 at 03:26 PM.
Old 01-10-2021, 04:09 PM   #10
Robert Fischer
clean money

Quote:
You must have quite a crystal ball as you didn't mention Derrick Henry by name and so far thru 3 Q he has 28 yards on 14 carries. And actually Tannehill's foot speed isn't that surprising. He was a WR at Texas A & M , then switched back to QB(his HS position)
Henry - I would've guessed closer to 100 yards for Henry, win or lose.
Wild-card/playoffs defenders are more willing to get run over on tackles.
I can't say whether predictable play calling, and/or the 34 carries that Henry had just a week ago played a factor.

Tannehill - Wow, didn't know he was initially a WR. Surprised they didn't try to establish Tannehill as a running threat.

Good game. Both teams had their moments. Lamar Jackson played as well as I've ever seen him play.
Old 01-10-2021, 06:28 PM   #11
ultracapper

I'm not sure how good the Rams are all around, but the Seahawks looked like a 6-10 team. That not only was disappointing, it made for a bad football game.
Old 01-10-2021, 07:59 PM   #12
thaskalos

I had the Bears +11 in today's game. The Bears scored a touchdown at the very end of the game to go down by 12, and there was no extra point attempt...causing me to lose my bet for no apparent reason. In this sports betting environment that we currently find ourselves...shouldn't the coaches at least know the pointspread? How can this sport be taken seriously from a betting standpoint?

Last edited by thaskalos; 01-10-2021 at 08:10 PM.
thaskalos is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-10-2021, 08:30 PM   #13
TJDave

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
How can this sport be taken seriously from a betting standpoint?
You expect the NFL to formally discuss the point spread?

There was a rules change in 2018:

“When a team wins a game with a touchdown as time expires in regulation, the team will no longer have to try an extra point or two-point conversion.”

I assume “losing team” is inferred as it would have no bearing on outcome.
Old 01-10-2021, 08:34 PM   #14
summersquall

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
I had the Bears +11 in today's game. The Bears scored a touchdown at the very end of the game to go down by 12, and there was no extra point attempt...causing me to lose my bet for no apparent reason. In this sports betting environment that we currently find ourselves...shouldn't the coaches at least know the pointspread? How can this sport be taken seriously from a betting standpoint?
Apparently the rule pertaining to mandatory PAT requirement irregardless of time remaining in the game was changed in 2018 so that "if the successful try would not effect the outcome of the game" then it would then be eliminated. That catch by Graham was indescribable! No worse way to not cash.

~ Lily Tomlin
summersquall is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-10-2021, 11:19 PM   #15
ultracapper

What do the Browns do with OBJ now? Nice season, a playoff win, in Pitt of all places, and an offense that seemed to really be heading in the right direction since his season ended.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: