Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 01-27-2014, 04:23 PM   #1
lamboguy

make no mistake about it

Taylor Rice is on her way to being a top rider, if she isn't already. she has guts, a brain and a good clock, and she has a nice manor to her.

if she goes back to Presque Isle, i have no problem putting her on 2 year olds.
lamboguy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-27-2014, 04:31 PM   #2
Stillriledup
Veteran

Loduca and Schrupp think Taylor is a man. Who's correct, you or them?
Stillriledup is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-27-2014, 04:39 PM   #3
PhantomOnTour
C'est Tout

Taylor is a female

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillriledup
Loduca and Schrupp think Taylor is a man. Who's correct, you or them?
That was bush league...I was watching
Old 01-27-2014, 04:44 PM   #4
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomOnTour
That was bush league...I was watching
Schrupp was the worst, he didnt even realize Nakatani was riding that boxing horse yesterday (who finished 2nd to the good Proctor Colt) either.
Old 01-27-2014, 05:00 PM   #5
letswastemoney

I don't like her as a rider. Like Andy Serling said, she has a good jockey agent.
letswastemoney is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-27-2014, 05:09 PM   #6
the little guy

This same thing happens every year with an apprentice, and more often than not, it's significant over-hype. With Manny Franco losing his bug, and Esuivel mostly in la-la land, unless on a speed, she is getting great mounts. I give her credit, she is absolutely making the most of her business. Whether or not she propels herself into a successful career as a journey(wo)man remains to be seen.

I don't mean to criticize her, and have no qualms betting her, but people tend to get carried away with bugs in the Winter. There was actually a time when people said Ariel Smith was going to be a great rider. Keep that in mind.
the little guy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-27-2014, 05:09 PM   #7
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by letswastemoney
I don't like her as a rider. Like Andy Serling said, she has a good jockey agent.
Is that what he said? I know she's no Junior Alvarado or Cornelio V, but you have to start somewhere, right?
Old 01-27-2014, 05:28 PM   #8
lamboguy

not to many bad riders in New York get good agents.
Old 01-27-2014, 05:39 PM   #9
lamboguy

Quote:
Is that what he said? I know she's no Junior Alvarado or Cornelio V, but you have to start somewhere, right?
she's as good as i have seen in a long time coming to New York as an apprentice.
Old 01-27-2014, 06:40 PM   #10
pele polo

Quote:
Originally Posted by the little guy
This same thing happens every year with an apprentice, and more often than not, it's significant over-hype. With Manny Franco losing his bug, and Esuivel mostly in la-la land, unless on a speed, she is getting great mounts. I give her credit, she is absolutely making the most of her business. Whether or not she propels herself into a successful career as a journey(wo)man remains to be seen.

I don't mean to criticize her, and have no qualms betting her, but people tend to get carried away with bugs in the Winter. There was actually a time when people said Ariel Smith was going to be a great rider. Keep that in mind.
4 wins in a day is impressive. But realistically she was a big on short, price speed horses on the inner track. That usually equates to success. She didn't screw it up, good for her but she is dehinately not on get to becoming a top rider (at least yet). She does not look good on a horse, not NY quality anyway. It helps that Linda Rice is her aunt.
Old 01-27-2014, 06:42 PM   #11
EMD4ME
NoPoints4ME

Quote:
Let's hope she's not. Cornelio is one of the worst riders that I have ever seen. Junior is your average 10% er who wins mostly by accident 1 out of 10 times

One perfect example of how bad Cornelio is his ride on Palace in December. He breaks well, has Strapping Groom buried (who broke really slow as the lone speed) and Cornelio chokes the life out of his mount to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

Let's hope he is not mentoring this poor apprentice.
EMD4ME is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-27-2014, 07:15 PM   #12
NJ Stinks

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMD4ME
Let's hope she's not. Cornelio is one of the worst riders that I have ever seen. Junior is your average 10% er who wins mostly by accident 1 out of 10 times

One perfect example of how bad Cornelio is his ride on Palace in December. He breaks well, has Strapping Groom buried (who broke really slow as the lone speed) and Cornelio chokes the life out of his mount to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

Let's hope he is not mentoring this poor apprentice.

Since Jose Santos retired, Cornelio is my favorite jockey on the grass. When I say "favorite jockey", I mean in the entire country.
Old 01-27-2014, 07:21 PM   #13
classhandicapper

I pay very little attention to jockeys other than if they are especially good/bad at something, but it's not unusual for apprentice riders to get hot and then have a lot of trouble when they lose the weight allowance. That's been happening for decades.

I'll never understand that.

If I was an owner/trainer, I'd take an experienced high level rider over a 5 pounds every day of the week. But apparently, a lot of people must think 5 pounds is worth more than finding and staying on the best paths, breaking well, getting good position, shaking loose with speed etc... With very few exceptions (Cauthen) I would never use an apprentice unless I knew my horse had no shot and I wanted to give some kid a break.
Old 01-27-2014, 08:29 PM   #14
jk3521
Registered Loser

Even M B Chen has had a couple winners this meet! Very poor jockey colony in N.Y. right now.

Saw an interview with Rice. She's got a good head on her shoulders. She might be okay, no Julie Krone, though.

Last edited by jk3521; 01-27-2014 at 08:31 PM.
jk3521 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-27-2014, 08:51 PM   #15
tzipi

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamboguy
Taylor Rice is on her way to being a top rider, if she isn't already. she has guts, a brain and a good clock, and she has a nice manor to her.

if she goes back to Presque Isle, i have no problem putting her on 2 year olds.
How many of her wins have been on Linda Rice horses?
tzipi is offline   Reply With Quote Reply