Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > Handicapping Library

Old 01-20-2009, 08:30 PM   #1
goforgin
goforgin

The Winning System by Guy Michaels

Was looking through my old handicapping books and came across the first book (e.g. system, manuscript) that I ever purchased. It's Copyright (C) 1975. I believe that I purchased about 1976. So it's about 30 years old. I had picked up a Star magazine or some other tabloid at work, and then sent in the $20 check. Page 1 has a picture of Guy holding a racing program. Says he had a weekly racing special on NY's WOR-TV. Also, called races at Bowie in MD. No cable or simulcast at the time, so I never saw him. Several chapters on racing and handicapping, and then his 13 winning rules along with Past Performances and Result Charts. Most wins, latest date, same jockey, speed dropping back, push pace stretchout, out of the money w/i 4 3/4 lengths, closing at 6 1/2 or 7 furlongs, sprinter going the distance, won last by 2 lenghts or more, best closing quarter, best closing 1/2 mile, workout patterns and finally 7 furlong workout. Give 1 point for each horse that qualifies for a point and add them up. Most points is the horse. 5 or more is a solid bet. Also, has tie breakers.
Curious if anyone knows if Guy is still around or has met him? A nice little paper & pencil system for the time with racing and handicapping history.
Thx GoForGin.
Old 01-20-2009, 08:34 PM   #2
BELMONT 6-6-09

Didn't he have a money management or parlay meyhod with that book? I saw the book so many years ago and was interested in the parlay and mm method
BELMONT 6-6-09 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-20-2009, 08:54 PM   #3
goforgin
goforgin

No, there is no money management or parlay method in the book.
Old 01-20-2009, 09:03 PM   #4
BELMONT 6-6-09

I remember the 1:25 7 furlong workout factor as I recall you rarely saw that work on the east coast tracks mainly west coast
BELMONT 6-6-09 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-20-2009, 09:15 PM   #5
goforgin
goforgin

You have a good memory. Yes, 1.25 or less 7 furlong workout, razor sharp. Also, the one or two day-apart workouts. Don't see those too often anymore either.
Old 01-20-2009, 11:52 PM   #6
plainolebill

Good angle: A few years ago Jose Delima worked a couple of horses in company @ 7f; they both went fast - Resolve and Intrepid Hero - both won their next starts at pretty good odds.
plainolebill is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-02-2009, 10:17 PM   #7
clore1030

You've just brought back a long-forgotten memory. My brother-in-law gave me a copy of that for Christmas one year, maybe around 1976 or 77. I was hesitant right off as I had been watching the weekly racing show on WOR-TV for several years and never saw Guy Michaels on it at all.

I tried the system, and like any mechanical system, it seemed to work for the first few days, but eventually proved worthless.

The seven furlong workout was a good tip though, I seem to recall another author, I think it was Al Illich, had included it in his book which was published earlier.
clore1030 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-03-2009, 09:50 AM   #8
dartman51

Boy, talk about a flashback. I have the GUY MICHAELS WINNING SYSTEM II, copyright 1985. It was among many I purchased back then. Even autographed. Does that make it worth more?
dartman51 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-03-2009, 10:47 AM   #9
saevena

Guy Michaels (not his real name) wrote several books and had a Bronx address at one time.
saevena is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-03-2009, 07:36 PM   #10
wonatthewire1

found this from 1999 - came back from a yahoo search

Guy Michaels

http://www.nydailynews.com/archives/...ting_life.html
wonatthewire1 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-03-2009, 08:04 PM   #11
goforgin
goforgin

[QUOTE=wonatthewire1]found this from 1999 - came back from a yahoo search

Guy Michaels

Thanks for the reply. I never would have guessed that a 1970's handicapper and system writer would 20 years later write a book about Judas.