Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 07-22-2019, 08:24 AM   #16
Zman179
Registered Wacko

This article is...devastating.

This piece will definitely make national news, prepare for the fallout.
Zman179 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-22-2019, 09:00 AM   #17
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulerider View Post
Grits, the story made the Drudge Report this morning.
It was up there yesterday...it's where I first saw it.
Old 07-22-2019, 12:38 PM   #18
Appy

With exception of FGX I have avoided all other La tracks for many years. Learned long ago they were drugpens, so trainers working there there are, for me, on 'auto suspicion' list. Also was an observer of several big horse buys from down there and what I saw was horses that were once very nice prospects, but obviously became victims of circumstance.
I've pretty much restricted my play to NY and Stronach tracks where it seems there is much greater tendency to look out for the horses first.
Old 07-23-2019, 12:27 AM   #19
davew

I suspect most bottom tier tracks are similar, although the ransom for rescue is a new twist. Is there a national adoption organization similar to greyhounds?
davew is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-23-2019, 01:03 AM   #20
TheOracle

Quote:
Ralph, for what it's worth in a little over a year NTWO has rescued roughly 200 horses directly from connections at EVD and DED. Two years ago those horses would no doubt have ended up at Thompson's Kill Pen.

I also would like to thank Eric Halstrom, the new Director of Operations at Louisiana Downs, for his proactive stance on this issue. This past Saturday, everyone walking through the doors at La. Downs had to pass by a booth manned by New Vocations Racehorse Adoption, a legit 501(c)(3) nonprofit, and the booth was drawing considerable interest from horseplayers. New Vocations just opened a facility outside New Orleans.

I've long been one of Louisiana racing's strongest critics. But I'll have to admit that progress has been made, albeit much slower than I'd like. Personally, what I'd like to see are wholesale changes at the Louisiana State Racing Commission with the exception of couple of good and decent -- but outnumbered --commissioners.
Hey Mulerider

Real Sports did a story on the kill pens right before the Preakness this year

Forbes article
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.for...ed-racing/amp/

HBO footage to stream
https://www.hbo.com/real-sports-with...sodes/may-2019

Very shocking and difficult to watch the whole piece

The reporter was at a farm where they tried to take away the video footage but they managed to salvage it so people could see what’s really going on for some horses

Last edited by TheOracle; 07-23-2019 at 01:12 AM.
TheOracle is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-23-2019, 01:34 AM   #21
The_Turf_Monster

When the national media takes hold of what happens to racehorses when they're done climbing down the class ladder, put a fork in the sport
The_Turf_Monster is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-23-2019, 02:58 AM   #22
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Turf_Monster View Post
When the national media takes hold of what happens to racehorses when they're done climbing down the class ladder, put a fork in the sport
What do you mean "when?"

It's been out there for years.
Old 07-23-2019, 05:08 AM   #23
clicknow

One would have to be deaf dumb and blind not to know about the situation down in louisiana. It's been like that for quite a while. I even keep 1 trainer in my equibase stable because I like to keep an eye on what happens to his horses.....he probably knows the meat truck guys better than his own stablehands.

As has been pointed out, outlawing slaughter in the U.S hasn't helped anything, cuz now the horses have to be loaded onto trucks and try to survive a hellish trip over the border........on the way they get kicked, hurt, sick, etc. and then face starvation and pain in the feedlots.

This should never happen to any racehorse, anywhere in the U.S. But tracks have been dumping horses and everyone already knows this.

I've said for a while now, here and other places, that EVERY horse who is registered at the Jockey Club and who has raced, who has carried someone on their back, deserves a FEE put aside for them, so that at the end of their career they can either be humanely euthanized, or if still well and not all crippled up from their life at the track, boarded at a rescue and retrained for a 2nd career.

That suggestion seems to get met with *crickets*.

Last edited by clicknow; 07-23-2019 at 05:11 AM.
clicknow is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-23-2019, 05:30 AM   #24
clicknow

So what do we do with the thousands of horses deemed unsuitable for racing---- after which only about 20% are able to do something else? I have friends who have rescued OTTBs, and had to pay to have them put down a few weeks later, because the extent of their "problems" are quite greater than was told. (of course, this could be solved by mandatory health histories and guarantees of soundness so people purchasing an OTTB aren't fleeced but we don't have that, either.......seems like a real free-for-all in many ways.

I think we all agree (or hope we do) that they certainly don't deserve a brutally horrible death. None should be sent on a truck to anywhere. They are U.S. racetrack horses. And there isn't enough room in beautiful pastures at rescue facilities just waiting for them.

They should be humanely euthanized, because they are OWED THIS KINDNESS. They are owed this kindness by anyone who sat on their back, anyone who owned them or trained them and hoped to make $$ off them, as well as by anyone who placed a wager on them and made even $0.40.

So the "who pays for this" is asked and answered, AFIAC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zman179 View Post
prepare for the fallout.
Oh boo-hoo.

The horses are, and have been, the ones suffering the "fallout."

Last edited by clicknow; 07-23-2019 at 05:35 AM.
Old 07-23-2019, 05:36 AM   #25
clicknow

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
Horrible stuff. Lets be honest here, Louisiana has long been a black eye on horse racing with all kinds of crazy, nefarious stuff going on there.
Don't forget Penn National.
Old 07-23-2019, 06:36 AM   #26
Mulerider

Quote:
Originally Posted by clicknow View Post

I've said for a while now, here and other places, that EVERY horse who is registered at the Jockey Club and who has raced, who has carried someone on their back, deserves a FEE put aside for them, so that at the end of their career they can either be humanely euthanized, or if still well and not all crippled up from their life at the track, boarded at a rescue and retrained for a 2nd career.

That suggestion seems to get met with *crickets*.
One of the comments after that article (was that you?) suggested that the JC require a $1,000 "deposit" upon registration. Upon the horse's retirement from the track, the owner would get the $1,000 back after showing proof that the horse had been transferred to a legit rehoming organization. If the horse required euthanization, the deposit could be tapped to cover the cost.

No crickets from me. No one else has proposed a better solution, IMO.

Mule
Mulerider is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-23-2019, 07:07 AM   #27
Fager Fan
Veteran

Quote:
One of the comments after that article (was that you?) suggested that the JC require a $1,000 "deposit" upon registration. Upon the horse's retirement from the track, the owner would get the $1,000 back after showing proof that the horse had been transferred to a legit rehoming organization. If the horse required euthanization, the deposit could be tapped to cover the cost.

Mule
Not a terrible idea, but where’s the funding for the rehoming .org?

They’d need to add another $1000 to go to the rehomer.

This wouldn’t be an easy sale.
Fager Fan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-23-2019, 02:06 PM   #28
clicknow

Quote:

Mule
nope, I never comment on blogs, articles, etc. I don't even write Amazon reviews on my purchases.

But providing for a horse's retirement has just always seemed like a no-brainer to me. (from both an ethical standpoint as well as a practical one).

They are what the entire sport is based upon, yet it's almost as if the racing industry considers them to be either meaningless widget-like commodities or a mere afterthought.

who should be out begging with a tin cup after their legs and muscles don't work right anymore. They didn't choose to become racers. They were bred FOR the track. They run for us every day. The notion that they have been left out of the loop is really quite atrocious in many respects.

Last edited by clicknow; 07-23-2019 at 02:08 PM.
Old 07-23-2019, 02:19 PM   #29
clicknow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fager Fan View Post
Not a terrible idea, but where’s the funding for the rehoming .org?

They’d need to add another $1000 to go to the rehomer.

This wouldn’t be an easy sale.
Then they don't get registered.

I was recently "told" about how I should admire (millionaires) who purchase race horses or there would be no sport for me to enjoy.

How about we make arrangements for their care and comfort and not treat them like used paper towels?

Does everyone here not have a fund set aside for their dog or cat so that they can have humane euthanasia and veterinary coverage for their companion animals when they reach the end? Or do they just put 'em in a plastic trash bag and head to the nearest dumpster?

Doesn't matter if it's a "business" or not. One is held to a higher standard when your product involves living, breathing (not to mention beautiful, resiliant, animals who have served mankind in so many ways) beings.
Old 07-25-2019, 02:25 AM   #30
nijinski

Maggi Moss has been exposing this sad and disgusting
treatment of racehorses in La for a whole now ! She has the
Jockey Club informed as well as the racing commission .
There has been no enforcement of the rules on track .
The slugs who send these poor horses to their torturous end
have not lost track privelidgrs or been charged !
The government needs to do something fast .
But if racing was shut down there .. so be it.
nijinski is offline   Reply With Quote Reply