Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 08-28-2018, 11:43 AM   #16
GMB@BP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Asaro View Post
dumb
GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-28-2018, 12:43 PM   #17
jay68802

Quote:
Originally Posted by VigorsTheGrey View Post
It could be Not-in-competition performance drugs administered prior to racing...maybe trainers are realizing that future races are “won” in training weeks prior to their actual running...I think the CHRB is trying to address out-of-competition drug issues as we speak...if the rules don’t address it, they aren’t doing anything wrong, I guess...

See the part on medication about half-way through this doc...good stuff they talk about here...http://www.chrb.ca.gov/Board/board_m...t_18-06-21.pdf starts at the bottom of page 58...
The sticking point on out of competition testing was that the owner and trainer were going to be held responsible if a horse failed a out of competition test. The CHRB caved, and will allow the owner or trainer to designate who is responsible for the horse when it is not in competition. This means that the owner and trainer can now say that "Joe", the farm manager, or "Jose" the groom, are responsible for the horse if it fails a test. Allowing them to point a finger somewhere else and avoid any fines or suspensions.

In the end the CHRB can thump its chest and say "Look how tough we are being by passing this rule." And the owners and trainers can go about their "business as usual" and not worry about any punishment.
jay68802 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-28-2018, 01:57 PM   #18
highnote

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay68802 View Post
The sticking point on out of competition testing was that the owner and trainer were going to be held responsible if a horse failed a out of competition test. The CHRB caved, and will allow the owner or trainer to designate who is responsible for the horse when it is not in competition. This means that the owner and trainer can now say that "Joe", the farm manager, or "Jose" the groom, are responsible for the horse if it fails a test. Allowing them to point a finger somewhere else and avoid any fines or suspensions.

In the end the CHRB can thump its chest and say "Look how tough we are being by passing this rule." And the owners and trainers can go about their "business as usual" and not worry about any punishment.
All the more reason to NOT be U.S. racing and switch to betting Hong Kong racing. HK has much stricter drug policies.
highnote is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-28-2018, 02:52 PM   #19
jay68802

What it comes down to is that the owners and trainers are what drive this sport. There is no doubt about that. Their importance to the sport should be greatly considered, in almost all areas of the sport.

The problem is that there are some areas where their interest should be put aside and the racing commissions should step up and put "integrity of the sport" first. This is one of those times. Giving them a loophole like this shows the lack of respect they have for the people who wager on horse racing, and thus give them the $$$'s to keep the sport alive.

Rules like this are promoted as a way to keep the "cheaters" out of the sport. Every owner and trainer should embrace this, because it is protecting the honest ones. Instead, as a group, they want the loopholes put in place, so the game stays the same, and the "status quo" is protected.
jay68802 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-28-2018, 04:09 PM   #20
highnote

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay68802 View Post
What it comes down to is that the owners and trainers are what drive this sport. There is no doubt about that. Their importance to the sport should be greatly considered, in almost all areas of the sport.

The problem is that there are some areas where their interest should be put aside and the racing commissions should step up and put "integrity of the sport" first. This is one of those times. Giving them a loophole like this shows the lack of respect they have for the people who wager on horse racing, and thus give them the $$$'s to keep the sport alive.

Rules like this are promoted as a way to keep the "cheaters" out of the sport. Every owner and trainer should embrace this, because it is protecting the honest ones. Instead, as a group, they want the loopholes put in place, so the game stays the same, and the "status quo" is protected.
How much can trainers and owners can drive the sport if no one wagers on the sport?
highnote is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-28-2018, 08:30 PM   #21
Andy Asaro

Andy Asaro is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-28-2018, 10:30 PM   #22
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

He looks to have few horses than some of the super trainers. Maybe he just spend more time hand on with his horses. He seems to know how to get a horse fit and fast. Other trainers should be taking notes.
Old 08-28-2018, 11:05 PM   #23
VigorsTheGrey
Veteran

I’ve often thought that Bob’s success is largely the result of EXTREME FOCUS...

it appears his team has gone through the training and race cycles of the thoroughbred in minute detail...extracted crucial components of these cycles and then superimposed a training regime and methodology that focuses on the top prizes/ top races in racing.

Like any good architect, he works “with the end in mind”...those principle ends being top Derby Trail events...and if allowed, a 4-year-old season with a top performer or two...he has identified all the elements that go into this narrowly defined arena of action...including obtaining the best young horses that he can find...or that owners bring to him....

He rarely races claimers as far as I know, and underperforming horses don’t seem to stay in his barn too long unless he has some real faith in them long term...

He’s dialed in tightly on what works and what doesn’t and i’ve heard him say something to the effect of a stated goal: To make steady progress year after year to keep gaining better and better results...

Over time...over many years, this extreme focus and consistent gradual improvement in total methodology, and hard work has paid off...

My shop teacher once told me that if I “put all of my energy and talent in one-place and in one time, I would become successful”...Bob seems to have done just that...

Anyway, that’s my take on it...

Last edited by VigorsTheGrey; 08-28-2018 at 11:07 PM.
VigorsTheGrey is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-29-2018, 04:10 AM   #24
TrackingTVG
Apprentice

You are delusional if you think he isn’t cheating
TrackingTVG is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-29-2018, 07:35 AM   #25
Andy Asaro

You guys are forgetting the 7 sudden deaths in 18 months.

https://www.paulickreport.com/news/r...sudden-deaths/
Andy Asaro is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-29-2018, 09:23 AM   #26
Fager Fan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by VigorsTheGrey View Post
I’ve often thought that Bob’s success is largely the result of EXTREME FOCUS...

it appears his team has gone through the training and race cycles of the thoroughbred in minute detail...extracted crucial components of these cycles and then superimposed a training regime and methodology that focuses on the top prizes/ top races in racing.

Like any good architect, he works “with the end in mind”...those principle ends being top Derby Trail events...and if allowed, a 4-year-old season with a top performer or two...he has identified all the elements that go into this narrowly defined arena of action...including obtaining the best young horses that he can find...or that owners bring to him....

He rarely races claimers as far as I know, and underperforming horses don’t seem to stay in his barn too long unless he has some real faith in them long term...

He’s dialed in tightly on what works and what doesn’t and i’ve heard him say something to the effect of a stated goal: To make steady progress year after year to keep gaining better and better results...

Over time...over many years, this extreme focus and consistent gradual improvement in total methodology, and hard work has paid off...

My shop teacher once told me that if I “put all of my energy and talent in one-place and in one time, I would become successful”...Bob seems to have done just that...

Anyway, that’s my take on it...
Give us exactly what he could be doing that other good trainers don’t that could make the difference. Do you really think his horses work or gallop or are fed great feed and water that much better than other good trainers?
Fager Fan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-29-2018, 02:10 PM   #27
VigorsTheGrey
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fager Fan View Post
Give us exactly what he could be doing that other good trainers don’t that could make the difference. Do you really think his horses work or gallop or are fed great feed and water that much better than other good trainers?
Other than what I wrote above, then I don’t know really all the details that go into the mystery of just how he has done it...

I do know that he is very intelligent and smart about how he goes about conducting his business, and the fact that success tends to breed more success plays into this greatly...he is now so very well capitalized and has a bevy of well-heeled and passionate owners behind him...he can afford to be more selective about which horses come into his barn...I would speculate that he has access to a larger network of talent scouts and confirmation experts manning the sales sites than other trainers...

IMO, Bob has identified the race running style that is the most successful, that Early types, or Early/ Pace types and most likely gravitates toward runners who he thinks would fit these two profiles...his training process builds upon speed and stamina...

He does also seem to employ similar race tactics during the running of important races and he repeatively employs one of the best riders who clearly understands how Bob’s horses are trained and repeatively positions and maneuvers them to give the horses their best shots for victory...clearly there is a pattern to all of this, and it is a very narrow set of parameters that are in play through the entire process that he, apparently, focuses intensely upon...

He has identified those few things in racing that REALLY MATTER...and focuses upon incorporating “those really important things” into his over-all racing regime, consistently...

Last edited by VigorsTheGrey; 08-29-2018 at 02:13 PM.
VigorsTheGrey is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-30-2018, 12:16 AM   #28
AskinHaskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fager Fan View Post
Give us exactly what he could be doing that other good trainers don’t that could make the difference.
One need do no more than review the entire work-tab for each of his individuals which has yet to pass January 1 of its 4yo season (aka 4th birthday ) to witness a glaring difference.

The rest is most assuredly a function of the resources to have so many on the treadmill at the same time that those which fall off are barely noticed.

Baffert's goals have been the same for decades, and everyone can figure out just what they are.

There aren't any secrets. It's all right there in front of your eyes should you choose to avail yourself of the data.
AskinHaskin is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-30-2018, 02:23 AM   #29
papillon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Asaro View Post
There was a similar article at Paulick this week, and an article from a week or two ago there, still featured, where the HOF spokesperson says he doesn't believe his fellow members will induct him because "6 races doesn't make a career." The fact that so many artilces are popping up, itself indicates his grasp on the championship is slippery.

Seems to me that being a top flight horse on both turf and dirt has to be far rarer than TC's. Even undefeated Derby winners are rarer and only about 3 exited with 8 or more, one being Nyquist. The BCJ/Derby double is proving to one of the hardest things in this sport, period.

June was a life time ago in this sport, by Nov it will have been 2 lifetimes ago. If CB wins the Hill Prince and the BCC in good times, with as fast or faster beyers, he absolutely deserves Champ 3yo. How far do we go back to find a true dual surface horse? John Henry? Plus, I don't think you can compare the pre-BC world to the post BC world.
papillon is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-30-2018, 11:11 AM   #30
GMB@BP

Justify will be 3YO champ and horse of the year.

of course they want to write otherwise, what else can you do if that is your profession, its hard to say in summer that something is decided, so might as well hypothesize differently....in the end he will win both in a landslide.
GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply