Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 12-19-2009, 11:36 AM   #1
Moyers Pond
Veteran

Mott to replace Frankel for Juddmonte

Well I think that was the best choice available. It is good to see Juddmonte still will have a major presence in the states.
Moyers Pond is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-19-2009, 12:04 PM   #2
Fingal

PR move to go to a " name ". When Frankel was in New York, who took care of & oversaw the string that was in California ? Sure Frankel was on the phone telling Ascanio what he wanted, but who actually carried it out ? When the one of the many stars in the stable maybe turned an ankle or whatever, who took care of it ? Who dealt daily with the help, the jocks & their agents ? How long was he the assistant for Frankel, a guy that would get rid of jocks or anyone that he didn't approve of without a 2nd thought ?

It's their stable, & they can do what they want.
But just because you can doesn't mean you should.
Fingal is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-19-2009, 12:10 PM   #3
Moyers Pond
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fingal
PR move to go to a " name ". When Frankel was in New York, who took care of & oversaw the string that was in California ? Sure Frankel was on the phone telling Ascanio what he wanted, but who actually carried it out ? When the one of the many stars in the stable maybe turned an ankle or whatever, who took care of it ? Who dealt daily with the help, the jocks & their agents ? How long was he the assistant for Frankel, a guy that would get rid of jocks or anyone that he didn't approve of without a 2nd thought ?

It's their stable, & they can do what they want.
But just because you can doesn't mean you should.
You can't really believe these guys are on par with Mott. Those guys always had Frankel to go to with problems.

These guys need to go out on their own with some claiming/allowance level horses before being trusted with the best horses in the world. You have to prove yourself with decent ones before someone gives you great ones.
Old 12-19-2009, 12:26 PM   #4
Grits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moyers Pond
You can't really believe these guys are on par with Mott. Those guys always had Frankel to go to with problems.

These guys need to go out on their own with some claiming/allowance level horses before being trusted with the best horses in the world. You have to prove yourself with decent ones before someone gives you great ones.
Since you know so much.

Tell this to Frankel's former assistant, CHAD BROWN, bud!
Grits is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-19-2009, 12:40 PM   #5
Dahoss9698
Veteran

Humberto Ascanio will still be training Midships, although all of the rest are going to Mott. Maybe they are just kind of seeing how Ascanio will do on his own before giving them all to him.

http://www.drf.com/news/article/109626.html

"Bill Mott will be our number-one trainer," said O'Rourke. He added that Juddmonte is "down to a pretty small string already" in the United States.
Dahoss9698 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-19-2009, 01:13 PM   #6
bisket

for turf racing you want your runners in california more than other parts of the country. with mott that's not really possible. i thought they would stay with humberto, but hey i'm just a poor little handicapper trying to make my way in this world.
bisket is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-19-2009, 01:15 PM   #7
Saratoga_Mike
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grits
Since you know so much.

Chad Brown went out on his own. He's now proven, just what MP suggested. There are plenty of assistant trainers that have been great asst trainers then flopped on their own.
Saratoga_Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-19-2009, 01:20 PM   #8
Dahoss9698
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bisket
for turf racing you want your runners in california more than other parts of the country. with mott that's not really possible. i thought they would stay with humberto, but hey i'm just a poor little handicapper trying to make my way in this world.
Why would you want to be in California for turf racing? And did you read the article? Mott will have a string at Santa Anita this winter and he is thinking about keeping a string after that.
Dahoss9698 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-19-2009, 04:04 PM   #9
Moyers Pond
Veteran

Quote:
Since you know so much.

You mean the Chad Brown that went out on his own and got some maiden/allowance types and proved himself? Last I checked he won his breeders cup race with a claimer.

Thanks for making my point.

You don't get the good Juddmonte horses with absolutely no experience as a trainer. In fact, you don't even get them with a small resume like Chad Brown. The reason Juddmonte chose Frankel was because he proved himself for decades first.

These guys can go out on their own and prove themselves.
Old 12-19-2009, 06:11 PM   #10
Grits

Quote:
You mean the Chad Brown that went out on his own and got some maiden/allowance types and proved himself? Last I checked he won his breeders cup race with a claimer.

Thanks for making my point.

You don't get the good Juddmonte horses with absolutely no experience as a trainer. In fact, you don't even get them with a small resume like Chad Brown. The reason Juddmonte chose Frankel was because he proved himself for decades first.

These guys can go out on their own and prove themselves.
You started this thread without a link, choosing instead, one sentence of proclamation. Failing to note that Midships would remain in the care of Ascanio, and as DaHoss pointed out in the story, O'Rourke stating, the stable is down considerably in number. The large presence not being here.

I'd have a hard time claiming Humberto Ascanio as someone lacking trainer experience, or as someone who hasn't "proved himself," (lol) regardless, whether he holds a license in his own name or not.

Working as an assistant for Frankel for 36 years . . . .

Since 1973. 36 years is a mighty long time. Amazed someone would question whether this man's earned the qualifications to train well bred horses, or cheap bred. Doesn't matter. And don't care who is paying the feed bill. How much more knowledge might this man need to catalogue in order to train Juddmonte's greats, or So'nSo's 20K claimers?

Hoping to see him compete against Bill Mott all afternoon and respecting Mott greatly, still I'd love to see Ascanio kick his butt sideways.

Generally speaking, in this sport, people still like to see great things happen for those who've worked hard, maybe this is what Fingal was pointing to.

Again, that's 36 years next to Frankel, everyday!

http://www.insidesocal.com/horseraci...t-worried.html

"It didn't take long for Ascanio, who went to work as a groom for Frankel in 1973, to climb his way up the ladder in the Hall of Famer's barn. He was promoted to assistant about a year later, but not before some serious thought."
Grits is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-19-2009, 08:53 PM   #11
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
I'd say that pretty much proved himself.
Old 12-20-2009, 02:18 PM   #12
Moyers Pond
Veteran

Quote:
You started this thread without a link, choosing instead, one sentence of proclamation. Failing to note that Midships would remain in the care of Ascanio, and as DaHoss pointed out in the story, O'Rourke stating, the stable is down considerably in number. The large presence not being here.

I'd have a hard time claiming Humberto Ascanio as someone lacking trainer experience, or as someone who hasn't "proved himself," (lol) regardless, whether he holds a license in his own name or not.

Working as an assistant for Frankel for 36 years . . . .

Since 1973. 36 years is a mighty long time. Amazed someone would question whether this man's earned the qualifications to train well bred horses, or cheap bred. Doesn't matter. And don't care who is paying the feed bill. How much more knowledge might this man need to catalogue in order to train Juddmonte's greats, or So'nSo's 20K claimers?

Hoping to see him compete against Bill Mott all afternoon and respecting Mott greatly, still I'd love to see Ascanio kick his butt sideways.

Generally speaking, in this sport, people still like to see great things happen for those who've worked hard, maybe this is what Fingal was pointing to.

Again, that's 36 years next to Frankel, everyday!

http://www.insidesocal.com/horseraci...t-worried.html

"It didn't take long for Ascanio, who went to work as a groom for Frankel in 1973, to climb his way up the ladder in the Hall of Famer's barn. He was promoted to assistant about a year later, but not before some serious thought."
All this say is that Humberto Ascanio is a good assistant. The world is full of people that are good assistants that go out on their own and fail.

Last I checked more assistants that go out on their own FAIL than succeed.

Mott is already proven he is a great trainer. All Humberto Ascanio has proven is he can do well what Frankel told him to do.
Old 12-20-2009, 02:37 PM   #13
joanied

Location: Wyoming, near Yellowstone Park...born/raised in Brooklyn,NY
In agree with Grits...well said, by the way. I am a fan of Mott's, and have no problem with him getting the horses, but not all of them (sans Midships)...and I would bet our farm, that Bobby is up there on a cloud and is good and pissed off about this.
Over 35 years of education from the Master gives Humberto, IMO, the goods to be a top class trainer...and he deserves the chance to proove it...I hope there are owners that know what Humberto can do...and give him nice horses to train...and, IMO, shame on Juddmonte for taking them all away from Humberto...and IMO, it has something more to it than Humberto's being an assistant. You all must realize, that if Humberto keeps these horses, or, for that matter, gets other horses to train...he'll be doing it just like Bobby did...and that is a good thing.

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time that is given to us"
Gandalf the Grey
joanied is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-20-2009, 03:14 PM   #14
Spalding No!

Quote:
Originally Posted by joanied
...and IMO, it has something more to it than Humberto's being an assistant.
I think I know what you mean....those people...can't trust 'em.

By the way, no love for Eduardo Inda?
Spalding No! is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-20-2009, 04:43 PM   #15
tribecaagent
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spalding No!
I think I know what you mean....those people...can't trust 'em.

By the way, no love for Eduardo Inda?
Eduardo Inda was Ron McAnaly's assistant. No relation to Frankel.

I feel Mott was not a wise choice; he's lost a step. To me, Cristophe Clement or even Dick Manndella would've been smarter.
tribecaagent is offline   Reply With Quote Reply