Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 11-21-2014, 10:07 PM   #1
porchy44

TVG disgraceful

Taped delay of a $500,000 race at meadowlands for a 6 horse field at Los Alamitos
porchy44 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-21-2014, 10:15 PM   #2
GatetoWire

Contractually obligated to show the Los Al races live. They had to show the Meadowlands on tape when they went off at the same time. Been happening for years.
GatetoWire is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-21-2014, 10:16 PM   #3
porchy44

thanks I didn't know that
porchy44 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-21-2014, 10:32 PM   #4
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatetoWire
Contractually obligated to show the Los Al races live. They had to show the Meadowlands on tape when they went off at the same time. Been happening for years.
Nice contract they signed.
Stillriledup is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-22-2014, 05:27 AM   #5
tanner12oz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillriledup
Nice contract they signed.
some nights they really crap on meadowlands sometimes they don't..its hit or miss
you would think last night it would have gotten first run
tanner12oz is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-22-2014, 08:31 AM   #6
Canarsie

Quote:
Originally Posted by porchy44
thanks I didn't know that
sometimes they have to cut away from a race due to contractual obligations to the cable or satellite operator. TVG pays to be aired and they have to give "x" amount of time back to the carrier.

The number of people who watch are so low they have no recourse to sign on the dotted line. It's another reason they can't get on a high def tier even though they try their best. When you look how everything is stacked against them they are doing an excellent job (upper management) imo.

The one thing I would like to see them do is add the channel to xbox, roku, and other new forms of media if allowed. Horse Races Now does it so you can watch live video from a number of tracks. Sometimes I actually turn on Mountaineer to hear Mark and Nancy analyze an upcoming race.

http://www.horseracesnow.com/

Bombsaway Bob came up with an excellent idea to provide new customers with tablets that have tvg preinstalled with some sign up cash included after meeting terms. Sounds like a great idea to me maybe management is reading this. Obviously this would have to be done on the android side because of cost unless the customer was willing to fork up cash to make the difference in getting an ipad.

You could have also watched the race in high def here:
http://www.thebigm.com/video.aspx?id=252

It looks great on my Nexus tablet and there is no need to worry about the problem you wrote about even though your complaint is 100% legitimate.
Canarsie is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-22-2014, 08:51 AM   #7
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Anyone ever track the time spent on live races vs the time spent babbling by the talking heads?
Old 11-22-2014, 09:44 AM   #8
Robert Fischer
clean money

When contractual obligations create a scenario where feature races are likely to overlap, would communication and flexibility help to maximize revenue and viewer satisfaction?

hey... maybe it would, who knows...
Old 11-22-2014, 11:22 AM   #9
magwell

It's a shame that Dish Network has RTN locked in and cant be had on cable TV even if you want to pay the 50 bucks a month. Then everyone could get the live feed from any track without the commercials and clowns on TVG ....
Old 11-22-2014, 02:25 PM   #10
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom
Anyone ever track the time spent on live races vs the time spent babbling by the talking heads?
There's way too much talk, if any of these analysts had to pick winners to eat, they would starve in no time flat.
Stillriledup is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-22-2014, 07:32 PM   #11
Redbullsnation
THEY SEND IN THE MAN

Don't you got that OTB channel if you're in NY?? Watched that for years for my horse racing fix. Usually do a PIP when races overlap, tho..
Redbullsnation is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-22-2014, 07:54 PM   #12
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

No OTB around Western NY - we have WROTB here, not Capital.
Old 11-23-2014, 09:20 AM   #13
Canarsie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillriledup
There's way too much talk, if any of these analysts had to pick winners to eat, they would starve in no time flat.
Let's do something hypothetical here. I am the chairman and appoint you to head the entire U.S. operation which includes lobbying, exchange wagering, racing, poker and other other means of financial revenue.

Your main job is to CUT COSTS especially on the racing end. Is it viable to implement exchange wagering if NJ is the only state to start it? Grow poker against the competition, and make sure William Hill doesn't get too big of a jump on us in sports wagering if and when it gets approved.

TVG is hemorrhaging money that will be your biggest challenge. It needs to break even in two years which will be a hard task with increased competition, signal costs, lucrative sign ups, and a host of other issues.

The clock starts ticking now...............

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm not doing this to bust your chops one thing I know is you will put in the time and effort to answer this. I'm sure others will jump in you will see how many personal agendas come through stating what's best for them and not the company.

Have fun (if you do it) and GOOD LUCK
Canarsie is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-23-2014, 11:21 AM   #14
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
Your main job is to CUT COSTS especially on the racing end.
Fire most of the talking heads.
Show more races, have one guy talk.
Play a lot of music and have the one guy work part time.
Old 11-23-2014, 12:15 PM   #15
Marshall Bennett

The "talking heads" for the most part are entertainers. Their job first and foremost is to keep your attention and dialed in.
I would, however, challenge any of you to go up against their ROI with your own skills using the exact same races they have to handicap. My opinion is most of you would lose.
Marshall Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote Reply