Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 11-19-2014, 04:25 PM   #1
raybo
EXCEL with SUPERFECTAS

Why was this thread locked?

Sometimes it takes a while for me to get to older threads that I become interested in, due to my having a full plate of stuff to do myself. So, today I ran across this thread, http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/s...d.php?t=118142

For some reason the thread was "locked". So, after reading over 4 pages of posts and finally starting to get something out of it all, I find that I can't post in that thread, can't ask questions or offer my own thoughts. Yes, normally I find TM's "teaching" threads boring and officious, but this time I was pleasantly surprised that I actually understood what he was getting at (I think). I also think that some of the detractors in that thread were also coming to some understanding of what Mike was getting at, but just didn't want to admit that they actually gained something from the topic. And yes, the topic of the thread conflicted with the original post, but some pointed that out, that the topic was about predicting a future "figure" from past ones, while the first post mentioned predicting "winners". They are not the same of course, but predicting future speed figures can help you predict future winners, so there is some correlation there.

Anyone else want to try to resurrect that thread besides me?

I still don't know why the thread was locked, as many others here have gotten much more out of control than this one, and they just eventually ended but weren't locked by any of the admins here.

Excel Spreadsheet Handicapping Forum

Charter Member: Horseplayers Association of North America
raybo is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-19-2014, 04:27 PM   #2
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

I thought I made that clear in the last post in the thread.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-19-2014, 04:38 PM   #3
ReplayRandall
Buckle Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by raybo
Sometimes it takes a while for me to get to older threads that I become interested in, due to my having a full plate of stuff to do myself. So, today I ran across this thread, http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/s...d.php?t=118142

For some reason the thread was "locked". So, after reading over 4 pages of posts and finally starting to get something out of it all, I find that I can't post in that thread, can't ask questions or offer my own thoughts. Yes, normally I find TM's "teaching" threads boring and officious, but this time I was pleasantly surprised that I actually understood what he was getting at (I think). I also think that some of the detractors in that thread were also coming to some understanding of what Mike was getting at, but just didn't want to admit that they actually gained something from the topic. And yes, the topic of the thread conflicted with the original post, but some pointed that out, that the topic was about predicting a future "figure" from past ones, while the first post mentioned predicting "winners". They are not the same of course, but predicting future speed figures can help you predict future winners, so there is some correlation there.

Anyone else want to try to resurrect that thread besides me?

I still don't know why the thread was locked, as many others here have gotten much more out of control than this one, and they just eventually ended but weren't locked by any of the admins here.
Raybo, it was as clear as day why that thread was closed by CJ. I would ask why you question the decision, but after re-reading your post, why don't you just PM Trifecta Mike and ask him for his opinion? Other than that, your post has no positive value........
ReplayRandall is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-19-2014, 04:43 PM   #4
raybo
EXCEL with SUPERFECTAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
I thought I made that clear in the last post in the thread.
Because I was unable to get to page 5 of the thread. I see now that page 5 can be accessed, and I see your post regarding TM, but why close the thread? Just delete TM's post.

Old 11-19-2014, 04:44 PM   #5
raybo
EXCEL with SUPERFECTAS

Jeez! I give up!!

Old 11-19-2014, 04:50 PM   #6
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by raybo
Because I was unable to get to page 5 of the thread. I see now that page 5 can be accessed, and I see your post regarding TM, but why close the thread? Just delete TM's post.
The thread starter stopped responding for days, then when he returned, replied in that manner. That was enough for me. Like I said there, PA can re-open it if he disagrees.
Old 11-19-2014, 06:09 PM   #7
raybo
EXCEL with SUPERFECTAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
The thread starter stopped responding for days, then when he returned, replied in that manner. That was enough for me. Like I said there, PA can re-open it if he disagrees.
Your call. I got the impression that PA was interested in the thread continuing, via the posts he made.

Old 11-19-2014, 07:08 PM   #8
Jeff P

Location: JCapper Platinum: Kind of like Deep Blue... but for horses.
I'm with Raybo on this one...

I actually did pick up something from one of TrifectaMike's posts in the aforementioed thread that shows a bit of promise - albeit in early testing.

FWIW I'd prefer to see the aforementioned thread (and threads like it) kept open.

-jp

Old 11-20-2014, 09:32 AM   #9
barn32
tmrpots

Like the OP of this thread I don't get to some threads until they have been out there a while. I just read the original thread myself. I found it interesting. A one word response from Trifecta Mike gets the thread closed from someone, it would appear, who got their nose bent out of shape.

Can't understand the logic. If you don't like the thread, don't read or participate. There were some who obviously did like it and wanted it to continue.

How about this: instead of closing the thread how about "giving a vacation" to those who try to tear it down with their constant browbeating. Maybe that would have the effect of keeping things positive.

[I'll be the first to admit that some of the subject matter was over my head, but I got a few nuggets of information from some of the posts (and links) that got me to thinking.]
barn32 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-20-2014, 10:25 AM   #10
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Nobody's nose was bent out of shape.

Here is the deal. The thread starter hadn't responded to lots of questions and comments for several days. When he did, the only response was a flippant comment to both a respectful and well respected poster. If this were just somebody responding in a thread, I would have deleted it and moved on. But, since it was the thread *starter*, I assumed he had no interest in furthering the topic. I didn't close it right away, I waited until the next day, but when he still didn't respond I thought that was enough.

Moderating is not as easy as many believe. I'd say about 1 in every 100 things I delete or close ever gets questioned, so that isn't a bad batting average.
Old 11-20-2014, 10:36 AM   #11
DJofSD
Screw PC

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
Nobody's nose was bent out of shape.

Here is the deal. The thread starter hadn't responded to lots of questions and comments for several days. When he did, the only response was a flippant comment to both a respectful and well respected poster. If this were just somebody responding in a thread, I would have deleted it and moved on. But, since it was the thread *starter*, I assumed he had no interest in furthering the topic. I didn't close it right away, I waited until the next day, but when he still didn't respond I thought that was enough.

Moderating is not as easy as many believe. I'd say about 1 in every 100 things I delete or close ever gets questioned, so that isn't a bad batting average.
cj, I can imagine being a moderator is akin to being a parent at times.

Thanks to both you and Mike for "explaining yourselves" especially when you don't have to. It helps the education of the end users just that much more.
Old 11-20-2014, 12:55 PM   #12
raybo
EXCEL with SUPERFECTAS

Whether or not Mike responded to questions is neither here nor there. I believe it is our right to start threads, and then abandon them when we feel no further need to participate, if we wish. After all he did say that ML did answer correctly, so maybe he felt his portion of the thread was at an end. The post that was flippant, was just that, flippant (regardless if it was to sjk or CJ or PA or anyone else on this board, just because he is a well respected member doesn't mean he is immune to being attacked, we all have suffered that multiple times and we get over it). I too felt that deleting that post was the proper response, not totally ending a thread that several found interesting and thought provoking. It is true that many here don't like TM (personally I find most of his posts distasteful) but he's not the only one around here who drive people nuts, and their threads don't get shut down.

Personally, I think CJ needs to bite the bullet and reopen it. I would just hope the same posters who were engaged in healthy discussion come back to it.

Old 11-20-2014, 01:11 PM   #13
GameTheory

What's the philosophy here? (Real question, I'm curious.) Meaning, is the OP of a thread assumed to be the "owner" of it in some sense? TM starts a discussion, it has some interesting elements, TM doesn't really contribute anything of value to it himself that I could see beyond getting the ball rolling, but I guess that's something. And then he makes an asshole comment for no apparent reason. I would have no problem with banning TM from his "own" thread at that point but letting other people continue with it -- who cares that it is "his" thread? (Or is that important?) I don't know if that is technically possible or not with your moderation tools, I've seen it done on other forums (banning someone just a specific thread).

Another tactic that I've seen be effective on other forums is the actual re-editing of moderated posts, i.e. if someone makes an inappropriate comment, the offensive part would be removed (or just crossed out so you could still see it if it wasn't profanity-laced or too evil to leave up) by the moderator, and with red text added "[MODERATION: Comment violates TOS. Any more such comments and you will be suspended from forum.]" or something like that. Like a schoolteacher grading a paper with the red pen -- a little bit of shaming. Even if it doesn't always get the offender to reshape their habits, it sends a message to everyone else to be civil...
GameTheory is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-20-2014, 01:51 PM   #14
Magister Ludi

Read This Quickly Before It's "Moderated" Out of Existence!

I would have posted a similar question, but I knew that it would have been futile for me to do so. My respect for Mike (Mr. PA) has steadily increased since I've encountered this forum. I can't say the same for some of his other moderators.
Magister Ludi is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-20-2014, 02:53 PM   #15
mountainman

I'm a bit sarcastic by nature, and have crossed the line myself at times, but now bite my tongue (fingers?) before responding to a fellow poster in that tone, because I LIKE how the forum has evolved to foster civility and objective, non-personal discourse.

I remember when trolls ran amuck here and justified rude, aggressive postings with ridiculous drivel likening handicapping to a full contact sport and questioning the acumen of any poster unwilling to engage in some bloodbath shout-down.

Those days have been gone for quite some time, and pace advantage is all the better for it. My policy is to not communicate with impolite posters. And I have NO problem with the train being stopped due to mean behavior.

Hey, there are posters I don't like, and a few who reciprocate, but I'm a huge believer in civility. Without that, how can we enjoy our time here and truly learn from each other?

People can go anywhere online to argue or engage in snide putdowns, but what makes this forum unique is the wealth of knowledge and inspired opinions shared.

Maybe it's just me, but I'm not here to prove my manhood, make enemies, or become anybody's bff-I'm here to contribute and learn. And mean wording can only retard the process.

If you're not a gentleman, I don't want to debate you; I don't want to know you.

Last edited by mountainman; 11-20-2014 at 02:56 PM.
mountainman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply