Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Sports

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 3.40 average.
Old 11-16-2014, 06:23 PM   #61
ronsmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillriledup
NFL at Rock Bottom these days.

Cleveland is 6-4 and got embarrassed today by a .500 team and got humiliated by Jacksonville earlier in the year.

Washington, goes into Dallas and plays a great game against the team, at the time, was the best in the NFL so what happens? They come home a couple weeks later and lose by 20 to the Bucs?

You see this type of stuff every week, teams just don't perform at a high level back to back games, its really random when a team decides to try, any team, even the best teams. Back in the 70s and 80s and even into the 90s, you could count on the top teams playing great every week, they didn't mail in games...now, you have a very fragile product, mentally these guys just don't get up week in and week out, not sure why there's really no true great teams anymore.
Salary cap. Pittsburgh had Bradshaw,Franco,Swann,Stallworth,Ham,Lambert,Bloun t,Wagner,Greene,Greenwood,Kolb,Webster,Holmes,and others I'm sure I'm missing ,all on the same team. That couldn't happen today.

Last edited by ronsmac; 11-16-2014 at 06:25 PM.
ronsmac is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-16-2014, 06:54 PM   #62
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronsmac
Salary cap. Pittsburgh had Bradshaw,Franco,Swann,Stallworth,Ham,Lambert,Bloun t,Wagner,Greene,Greenwood,Kolb,Webster,Holmes,and others I'm sure I'm missing ,all on the same team. That couldn't happen today.
The Raiders are 0-9 and they're in SD today and every time they gain a yard, the crowd erupts like its the Super Bowl. Seems like more Raider fans than Charger fans there. That's wild.
Stillriledup is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-16-2014, 06:58 PM   #63
ronsmac

Quote:
The Raiders are 0-9 and they're in SD today and every time they gain a yard, the crowd erupts like its the Super Bowl. Seems like more Raider fans than Charger fans there. That's wild.
When I was in the military I was stationed in San Diego. It seemed like there were more fans of other teams than of the Chargers. It's a huge military area with thousands of transplants. Tjat would be my guess for the lack of fan support.
ronsmac is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-16-2014, 07:02 PM   #64
thaskalos

The NFL better get ready for the Green Bay Packers.
Old 11-16-2014, 07:29 PM   #65
tucker6

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos
The NFL better get ready for the Green Bay Packers.
peaking waaay too soon.
tucker6 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-16-2014, 07:57 PM   #66
Marshall Bennett

Teams in the NFL that get down 21+ pts early on the road nearly quit playing. Their attitude is "why get banged up we're gonna lose anyway, and I'm set financially for life". At least at home down 21 pts they hear the boos and may make some attempt to come back.
It's almost sickening. College football for me is 10X more exciting and rarely ever predictable with certainty. One thing predictable in the NFL for sure is, they'll only do as much as needed to impress their teammates and themselves.
The rest has already been given to them.

Last edited by Marshall Bennett; 11-16-2014 at 07:58 PM.
Marshall Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-18-2016, 01:24 AM   #67
Stillriledup
Veteran

The quality of play and the strength of the teams is at an all time low. The coaching and game mgmt decisions also at an all time low. The reffing isn't at an all time high if I'm being quite honest.
Old 01-18-2016, 09:24 PM   #68
MJC922

Very talented deep lines on both sides of the ball are what's missing. I wish they'd get rid of the cap, get back to 6 or 8 good teams. The game has definitely changed to be more offense less defense, and I find the coaching, the calls to be horrific. Teams go on 4th and short even in their own territory all the time, and will throw on 3rd and short 4th and short even when they can run. I don't get it at all, nobody cares about field position, it meant everything back in the Parcells, Gibbs, Walsh era.
Old 01-18-2016, 09:31 PM   #69
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJC922
Very talented deep lines on both sides of the ball are what's missing. I wish they'd get rid of the cap, get back to 6 or 8 good teams. The game has definitely changed to be more offense less defense, and I find the coaching, the calls to be horrific. Teams go on 4th and short even in their own territory all the time, and will throw on 3rd and short 4th and short even when they can run. I don't get it at all, nobody cares about field position, it meant everything back in the Parcells, Gibbs, Walsh era.
Back in the day, when you had the 86 Bears or the Steeler dynasty or the Jerry Rice 49ers in the heyday, you could count like clockwork those teams would play a top notch game. There's way more injuries these days seems like every other play someone is limping off the field, I don't remember seeing that in the glory days, guys were just tougher back then, certainly mentally tougher.

I loved the NFL back then, I don't remember thinking they needed to change anything.
Old 01-18-2016, 09:37 PM   #70
MJC922

Quote:
Back in the day, when you had the 86 Bears or the Steeler dynasty or the Jerry Rice 49ers in the heyday, you could count like clockwork those teams would play a top notch game. There's way more injuries these days seems like every other play someone is limping off the field, I don't remember seeing that in the glory days, guys were just tougher back then, certainly mentally tougher.

I loved the NFL back then, I don't remember thinking they needed to change anything.
Right with you there. It was a hell of a time, I never thought that could change. Every damn thing takes a turn for the worse, I can't even watch it without cringing let alone bet on it anymore.
Old 01-18-2016, 09:57 PM   #71
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJC922
Right with you there. It was a hell of a time, I never thought that could change. Every damn thing takes a turn for the worse, I can't even watch it without cringing let alone bet on it anymore.
It's a lot more professional wrestlerish these days, they were better back in the day at making it seem legit, now, we all have questions about its legitimacy and instead of addressing them, it just gets swept under the rug, oh yeah, but they'll give a guy a suspension for smoking pot and let all the other stuff slide.
Old 01-20-2016, 07:12 AM   #72
ebcorde
Veteran

there is no point watching an AFC game

over half the teams do not even try to win. anyone know what the Patriots divisional record has been the last 15 years?

the AFC championship game always has Brady then Manning's team or Pittsburgh or Baltimore in the final. almost as bad as Barcelona and Real Madrid.
ebcorde is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-20-2016, 07:20 AM   #73
ebcorde
Veteran

And Belicheck has made a joke out of the current NFL

not sure if he's cheating, I think he's a master at understanding the rules.

He is using this short passing game, with some legal way of screening the defenders , exposing the weakness of the NFL rules.

No one can stop their short passing game, and they've been doing it for years.
ebcorde is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-20-2016, 12:45 PM   #74
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebcorde
not sure if he's cheating, I think he's a master at understanding the rules.

He is using this short passing game, with some legal way of screening the defenders , exposing the weakness of the NFL rules.

No one can stop their short passing game, and they've been doing it for years.
gronk pushes off knowing they won't call it every time. He gets one call here or there but most times he's getting away with it. A

It's the Patriot way.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: