Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 42 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 06-17-2009, 10:37 PM   #31
RobinFromIreland

MakinItHappen has a good point; it would ease adoption if we agreed on a defined message format.

What is the information we deem essential? We have about 115-120 characters to play with (taking away the "via @username" part).

Track, race #, saddlecloth, MTP, amt bet on show, total show pool?
  Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-18-2009, 07:36 AM   #32
MakinItHappen

Thanks For Trying BombsAwayBob!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinFromIreland
It seems many here are interested in participating but are perhaps unfamiliar with some of the options available to best use this service.

I would strongly recommended those who wish to participate, either to alert the group, or to receive alerts, to download a Twitter client to your Desktop (or smart phone, if supported).

These clients can run minimized in your System Tray (Windows) or Dock (Mac), and give notifications for all messages, @replies and/or direct messages (DMs) based on your client settings that you have chosen. It keeps you signed into Twitter as long as you run it.

For instance, for those that wish to alert others of a potential bridge-jumping situation, you click on the client's icon in the system tray to display it and give it focus, and then you can use the "d username" command shortcut to quickly message the group e.g. (using MakinItHappen's example):

d bridgejumper HWD R8 10 MTP

This will send a direct message to bridgejumper, who in turn, by using GroupTweet, will auto-propagate that message to all other followers of bridgejumper.

Depending on the client you have, you will most likely get a "toaster-like" popup in the bottom right-hand of your screen for a few moments that shows who it's from (bridgejumper) and the content of the message (HWD R8 10 MTP). You may also get an email depending on your Twitter settings.

I would recommend choosing one of the following clients:

Twhirl
Seesmic Desktop
TweetDeck

All of the above clients require Adobe AIR to run. If you don't have it installed, it should auto-install for you when you try to install one of the above clients.

If you have further Twitter questions, contact me on Twitter (@robinhowlett) and I'll be happy to assist in any way I can.
OK, I see BombsAwayBob alerted us to a Mini BridgeJump last evening... of course I missed it. I am definitely going to have to check into one of these clients that RobinFromIreland has recommended so I can get a Pop-up Alert.

I see the bridgejumper landed safely this time and paid $2.20 to show. There were 7 horses on which to place "bet against show bets" and they returned $9.00 or a loss of $5.00... not horrible for a miss, I suppose! So after Alert #1 our effort is 0-1 with an ROI of -0.71 for every $2 wagered.

If anyone has the final pool #'s for Show $'s wagered on each horse, I would be interested in seeing them if you could post here.

Let's stay after them!

Thanks Again BombsAwayBob, RobinFromIreland, Stu!

Best of Luck Everyone!

MakinItHappen
MakinItHappen is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-18-2009, 08:43 AM   #33
lamboguy

it looks like with this service we are going to get alot of instant millionaires from betting on reverse minus pools.

maybe this is going to reverse the over all trend in horse racing. the handles have been dropping like a rock lately. this can do nothing but increase the handles in this game.
lamboguy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-18-2009, 09:05 AM   #34
stu

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakinItHappen
OK, I see BombsAwayBob alerted us to a Mini BridgeJump last evening... of course I missed it. I am definitely going to have to check into one of these clients that RobinFromIreland has recommended so I can get a Pop-up Alert.
Remember you can also configure your twitter account to 'text' your cell phone with messages. I have mine configured to receive messages from @bridgejumper only. The other tweets stay on my computer until I have time to view them.
Old 06-18-2009, 01:04 PM   #35
stu

minijumpers?

Do y'all want to see mini-jumpers on the twitter service?

For example, today in Calder's first, the #2 had $6,180 of the $7,833 show pool? (finished 2nd)

Last night's alert was when a runner ended up with ~$14k of ~$17k.

What should the threshold be to receive an alert?
Old 06-18-2009, 01:25 PM   #36
lamboguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by stu

For example, today in Calder's first, the #2 had $6,180 of the $7,833 show pool? (finished 2nd)

who cares what they are, just keep up the good work its good for race track business
lamboguy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-18-2009, 02:10 PM   #37
menifee

Wow this service is great. Good job in setting it up. Was alerted to the jumper in Belmont's race 3 today by text. Thanks for who ever posted it. The horse won easily, but it was a maiden race and you never know in those races. 42k out of a 50k pool.
menifee is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-18-2009, 02:15 PM   #38
stu

The twitter -> sprint text message latency is bad.

I saw the tweets on-line about 8 mtp and on my cellphone 2 min after declared official. I don't know if twitter is overloaded or if Sprint cell service sucks today
Old 06-18-2009, 02:20 PM   #39
Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by stu
The twitter -> sprint text message latency is bad.

I saw the tweets on-line about 8 mtp and on my cellphone 2 min after declared official. I don't know if twitter is overloaded or if Sprint cell service sucks today
Received view Twitter with 16 MTP, cell phone with wrong horse #3 quoted about 10 TMP, never received updated Twitter via cell phone about horse change to #2.

AT&T iPhone
Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-18-2009, 02:27 PM   #40
menifee

Yeah, whoever posted it accidentially gave you the wrong horse # If you went and looked at the pools, it was obvious who the horse was.
menifee is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-18-2009, 03:57 PM   #41
RobinFromIreland

The Twitter SMS service is one of the least reliable delivery methods. They often announce issues with the SMS service on the Twitter Status feed.

In TweetDeck and Seesmic Desktop, you can devote an entire column to watching one specific thing (e.g. a user (@bridgejumper), a word etc.)
  Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-18-2009, 04:35 PM   #42
stu

looks like Grouptweet was overwhelmed as well - my Belmont tweet for race 3 just got propagatted

looks like we will have to work the kinks out
Old 06-18-2009, 06:29 PM   #43
CBedo
AllAboutTheROE

Quote:
MakinItHappen has a good point; it would ease adoption if we agreed on a defined message format.

What is the information we deem essential? We have about 115-120 characters to play with (taking away the "via @username" part).

fyi, it's 140 characters.

seen on a tshirt recently -- "140 is the new 420"
CBedo is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-18-2009, 06:43 PM   #44
RobinFromIreland

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBedo
fyi, it's 140 characters.

seen on a tshirt recently -- "140 is the new 420"
Yes it's normally 140 but bridgejumper, through GroupTweet, needs to say who sent the message using "via @username" (as noted above) e.g.

bridgejumper via @ovals: BEL, Race 3, #2, 13 MTP, $8392, $9538

so it's best to aim for less than 120 characters to take in longer usernames
  Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-18-2009, 10:06 PM   #45
MakinItHappen

My Two Cents Worth...

Quote:
I like this for a standard format!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stu
If we use the standard format that RobinFromIreland proposed individuals could decide for themselves whether it is worth it or not, I suppose. $10k and at least 75% on one horse feels about right to me, but an $8k pool with 90% on fav might be of interest also. After we get a better feel for the volume, perhaps we can refine our parameters a little more. So far heavy volume does not appear to be a concern.

Membership Update: 87 Followers Very Nice! (I predict an uptick in membership after each SPLAT!

Best of Luck Everyone!

MakinItHappen
MakinItHappen is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: