Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Sports

Old 06-09-2022, 02:46 PM   #16
Rex Phinney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiley View Post
I follow golf and agree.
Good post.

Maybe similar to the Tony George and the Indy car racing/ CART split which in the end, at least as far as I can tell don't follow Indy car much, hurt the overall interest in the sport.

It seems, for whatever reason, the PGA tour feels threatened by the new LIV Saudi league. In my opinion, strong arm tactics like this rarely work.

The funny thing is I don't know what they are even threatened by? For purists, this LIV golf thing is kind of a sideshow. 54 holes, teams, guys getting paid big $$$ regardless of where they finish? It feels like a televised scramble from the local muni course???? What is the PGA even worried about? Let the guys go play there, and on the very remote chance that something interesting happens on the LIV tour then you can have all those guys back at your tournament the next week to attract media.

This whole strong arm tactic is just a really bad look. Chances are the LIV tour will flame out in a few years, so let it run it's course, stay in your lane and prove your stranglehold on global golf through longevity.

99% of the attention the LIV tour is getting is because the PGA tour can't stop talking about it or badmouthing it every 10 minutes. If they would have just STFU months ago this first LIV tourney would barely be on anyone's radar.
Rex Phinney is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-09-2022, 04:08 PM   #17
Brisk Urging
Veteran

Sergio Garcia*
Talor Gooch
Branden Grace*
Dustin Johnson*
Matt Jones
Martin Kaymer*
Graeme McDowell*
Phil Mickelson
Kevin Na*
Andy Ogletree
Louis Oosthuizen*
Turk Pettit*
Ian Poulter
Charl Schwartzel*
Hudson Swafford
Peter Uihlein
Lee Westwood*
Brisk Urging is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-09-2022, 05:08 PM   #18
Bustin Stones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Phinney View Post
The funny thing is I don't know what they are even threatened by? For purists, this LIV golf thing is kind of a sideshow. 54 holes, teams, guys getting paid big $$$ regardless of where they finish? It feels like a televised scramble from the local muni course???? What is the PGA even worried about? Let the guys go play there, and on the very remote chance that something interesting happens on the LIV tour then you can have all those guys back at your tournament the next week to attract media.

This whole strong arm tactic is just a really bad look. Chances are the LIV tour will flame out in a few years, so let it run it's course, stay in your lane and prove your stranglehold on global golf through longevity.

99% of the attention the LIV tour is getting is because the PGA tour can't stop talking about it or badmouthing it every 10 minutes. If they would have just STFU months ago this first LIV tourney would barely be on anyone's radar.
LIV won't go away because Saudi pockets are deep and the tour won't look like it does now. They'll try new things and lure more talent away with $$. Eventually, it won't look like the clown show it does now. You should have seen the AFL in 1960. It was a lot like the USFL in its first year. That changed. As their product improves they'll get tv to pick it up. The PGA is trying to kill it now because right now it's a fledgling tour. It only gets harder to kill it later.
Bustin Stones is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-09-2022, 07:27 PM   #19
Bustin Stones

I think you'll enjoy this tidbit. Back in the 60's, when the American Football League was competing with the NFL, a QB named Daryl Lamonica played for the Oakland Raiders. He had a penchant for throwing long in any situation. So they nicknamed him 'The Mad Bomber'. Could you imagine any athlete getting that nickname now?
Bustin Stones is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-21-2022, 10:54 AM   #20
Brisk Urging
Veteran

Koepka latest to leave PGA Tour for LIV
Brisk Urging is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-21-2022, 07:40 PM   #21
TJDave

I fail to understand why anyone cares. Bunch of millionaires and billionaires duking it out.