Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Sports

Old 06-07-2022, 11:11 AM   #1
Brisk Urging
Veteran

Dustin Johnson resigns from PGA

To play in LIV following Mickleson..Times are changing

https://www.espn.com/golf/story/_/id...val-liv-series
Brisk Urging is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-07-2022, 11:37 AM   #2
JustRalph
Just another Facist

This is bad mojo
Old 06-07-2022, 01:59 PM   #3
Elkchester Road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph View Post
This is bad mojo
I think so, too.

Ralph
Old 06-07-2022, 04:31 PM   #4
jocko699
Resurrectionist

This probably wouldn't have happened if Finchem was still the commissioner. There is too much money to be made and lost with the wrong decision making.
Battle is the most magnificent competition in which a human being can indulge. It brings out all that is best; it removes all that is base. All men are afraid in battle. The coward is the one who lets his fear overcome his sense of duty. Duty is the essence of manhood.
jocko699 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-07-2022, 08:25 PM   #5
Al Gobbi

supposedly several prominent PGA players are planning to play in the Portland LIV event at the end of the month
Al Gobbi is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-07-2022, 08:43 PM   #6
Cuffdaddy

DJ gets a 100 million up front bonus.

54 Hole events/no cuts

Full "Tiger Woods" treatment for players and caddies such as free accommodations and events planned.

Cannot blame him, tour so far is primarily those who are past their prime or just not good enough to compete on the PGA tour. Much less pressure so it may free up the minds of those who battle their own heebie jeebies on the course.

PGA very scared that it will take their revenue is the real truth

Last edited by Cuffdaddy; 06-07-2022 at 08:45 PM.
Cuffdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-08-2022, 12:14 PM   #7
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Might be some backlash due to the way Phil was treated
Old 06-08-2022, 05:42 PM   #8
Rollingpk3

Don't overlook the fact that it been a long time between drinks for him. Has gone a while without a win so why not follow the money.
Rollingpk3 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-08-2022, 05:47 PM   #9
Cuffdaddy

Now Bryson and Patrick Reed have jumped ship. This will get more and more interesting as others decide.
Cuffdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-08-2022, 06:44 PM   #10
Rex Phinney

PGA tour better hope that Tiger's leg gets better real quick. He may be the only thing they have left to sell.

I really don't get the PGA's stance on not allowing the players to do the LIV events. They have for years allowed players to do events in Europe and even Dubai, now all the sudden it's a problem?

The PGA will have to go back on their ban of anyone playing LIV tournaments, and I'll tell you why.

#1. All players show up to the PGA events because they want to make as much money as possible.

#2. LIV is offering more money than the PGA.

#3. The end.
Rex Phinney is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-08-2022, 08:32 PM   #11
Bustin Stones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Phinney View Post
PGA tour better hope that Tiger's leg gets better real quick. He may be the only thing they have left to sell.

I really don't get the PGA's stance on not allowing the players to do the LIV events. They have for years allowed players to do events in Europe and even Dubai, now all the sudden it's a problem?

The PGA will have to go back on their ban of anyone playing LIV tournaments, and I'll tell you why.

#1. All players show up to the PGA events because they want to make as much money as possible.

#2. LIV is offering more money than the PGA.

#3. The end.
Back in 1960, the fourth iteration of the American Football League was formed. All of the same types of threats and posturing happened then by the NFL. But, this iteration was better funded than previous attempts to compete with the NFL. In the end the NFL had to recognize the competition and deal with it.
Does this all sound sorta familiar? Saudi money isn't going away. Your best hope of bringing people into compliance is to make it worth their while. Saudi royals will rein in their misbehavior when it begins to hurt their businesses. But first, they need to have a business that is sensitive to customers' opinions.
Bustin Stones is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-08-2022, 11:32 PM   #12
JustRalph
Just another Facist

This kind of thing happened in NASCAR early on.

The break away drivers (most anyway) disappeared, never to be heard of again
Old 06-09-2022, 01:18 PM   #13
Rex Phinney

The PGA tour has handled this so horribly bad. This morning they release a statement again saying the players are banned and naming them by name?

Some quotes from the statement:

"those players who have decided to turn their backs on the PGA TOUR by willfully violating a regulation."

"specifically singled out Johnson, Mickelson, Na, Westwood, Sergio Garcia, Talor Gooch, Branden Grace, Matt Jones, Martin Kaymer, Graeme McDowell, Andy Ogletree, Louis Oosthuizen, Turk Pettit, Ian Poulter, Charl Schwartzel, Hudson Swafford and Peter Uihlein."

"These players have made their choice for their own financial-based reasons. But they can’t demand the same PGA Tour membership benefits, considerations, opportunities and platform as you. That expectation disrespects you, our fans and our partners. You have made a different choice, which is to abide by the Tournament Regulations you agreed to when you accomplished the dream of earning a PGA Tour card and – more importantly – to compete as part of the preeminent organization in the world of professional golf"

"I am certain our fans and partners – who are surely tired of all this talk of money, money and more money"

"I know you are with us, and vice versa. Our partners are with us, too. The fact that your former Tour colleagues can’t say the same should be telling," Monahan added

This statement basically reads like Monahan thinks he is Julius Caesar or something. What a freaking joke of a PR move. First off why are you even acknowledging and giving screen time to a rival organization? Second, the PGA tour acting like money doesn't matter is so hard to stomach I might throw up. The entire tour is a money whore and has been for decades. Don't give me that holyer than thou bullshit now. Lastly how petty are you? Singling out the players by name? The same players that put fans in the stands and sponsors on the billboards for decades? GTFO Jay Monahan, I hope that fucker eats shit and dies.
Rex Phinney is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-09-2022, 01:42 PM   #14
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
This statement basically reads like Monahan thinks he is Julius Caesar or something. What a freaking joke of a PR move. First off why are you even acknowledging and giving screen time to a rival organization? Second, the PGA tour acting like money doesn't matter is so hard to stomach I might throw up. The entire tour is a money whore and has been for decades. Don't give me that holyer than thou bullshit now. Lastly how petty are you? Singling out the players by name? The same players that put fans in the stands and sponsors on the billboards for decades? GTFO Jay Monahan, I hope that fucker eats shit and dies.
I think you summed this up nicely...and I don't even follow golf.
Old 06-09-2022, 02:19 PM   #15
Wiley
Horse Racing Connossieur

Quote:
I follow golf and agree.
Good post.

Maybe similar to the Tony George and the Indy car racing/ CART split which in the end, at least as far as I can tell don't follow Indy car much, hurt the overall interest in the sport.

It seems, for whatever reason, the PGA tour feels threatened by the new LIV Saudi league. In my opinion, strong arm tactics like this rarely work.
Wiley is offline   Reply With Quote Reply