Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > **TRIPLE CROWN TRAIL**

Old 05-06-2022, 09:46 PM   #1
Aerocraft67
Enthusiast

Short takes on each Derby runner; selections

Mo Donegal
Classy late runner that can stay the distance. Must use win contender.

Happy Jack
Decent distance rating from DRF but nothing else to recommend it. Toss.

Epicenter
Chalk that’s hard to toss from the ticket, despite a few dings as a 7/2 win contender.

Summer Is Tomorrow
DRF likes his distance chances but I don’t see enough to go on.

Smile Happy
Has a little bit of everything, but only a little. Not a toss, but can’t fit on the ticket.

Messier
Hard to justify beats, but they muddy form and buoy price. Has the requisite speed, class, and distance prospects. Prime selection.

Crown Pride (JPN)
A wildcard worth a bet at ML odds. I’ll take the uncertainty and distance prospects for my tickets

Charge It
Impressive but short career; hard to take here. Like , a non-toss that will beat me.

Tiz the Bomb
Not a hard toss, but a toss. A good run in the JR Steaks on synth, and a promising distance rating from DRF. May not be best on dirt, and you need your best to prevail here.

Zandon
Like the TFUS sharps, I prefer the . Comfortable leaving this short price out accordingly. Some questions about the distance and TFUS class assessment.

Pioneer of Medina
Little bit of wise guy attention for this one, but like the , I can’t muster a case to include. Nothing but maybe a BRIS distance fig to recommend him.

Taiba
Clearly one of the keys to the race. You’re either for him or against him. I’m against. Like Beyer says, he may be the greatest of his generation, but he needs more than two preps to win at 10f against 19 rivals.

Like I said in another thread. Of the five highest figs ever run by the field, Taiba ran two of them, including the highest (tied with Messier). In his first two races. No runner has come even close to those two figs in their early races.

But he’s passed three horses in his entire career—facing all of 11 rivals. He figures to be, what, sixth in the early going? With at least five legitimate contenders among the 14 closing in? You could argue half a dozen of these are classier.

He is off my tickets and beats me hard here. Or maybe I score.

Simplification
Yet another, like the and , that I can’t fit in my tickets, but probably scares me most.. BRIS likes him better than TFUS, and his DRF distance fig is mediocre.

Barber Road
Aside from a few glimmers of class, no confidence playing this one. Toss.

White Abarrio
Too many dings on this one to take in the top five. Don’t see a pace advantage, distance is questionable, and mixed stats on class. Andy Beyer picked him, so he’ll take a little extra money.

Cyberknife
I’m using this guy. He’s got the speed to stay out of trouble, looks to get the distance, and even has a sprinkling of class. He’s green, but he started out sharp, and his six races put him in the top half of experience here.

Classic Causeway
Using this guy too. Looking past his last race, his run in the Kentucky Jockey Club suggests he’s not a lead-or-die type, but he’ll be contending. Yet he also has the distance credentials. It’s tough to lead 18/19 horses to the finish, but he’s got a shot at a price.

Tawny Port
One of several you might toss in, but I’m tossing out. Speed and pace not out of the question, but distance and class questionable.

Zozos
Minor prodigy after three races, has some early speed to keep out of trouble, but that’s not enough to use.

:21: Rich Strike
Speed and class figs pretty abysmal, and little indication it will stay the distance. You get the sense it could clunk up for something with legit late pace capability, but I’m thinking it outruns it’s > 50-1 odds to maybe 9th or 11th.

Use
, fade the

Against

Fear

Toss
:21:

With so much to analyze, I didn't really find anyone I really wanted to project for a big improvement on scant clues like I might do in day-to-day handicapping. I guess I was categorically against the lightly raced here.

I'll construct wagers tomorrow.
Aerocraft67 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-07-2022, 08:51 AM   #2
LemonSoupKid

Thanks for the comments. I'm on the but I appreciate your take.

Best of luck today!
LemonSoupKid is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-07-2022, 09:03 AM   #3
Aerocraft67
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonSoupKid View Post
Thanks for the comments. I'm on the but I appreciate your take.
Clearly you're not alone; he's nearly the favorite. Boxing him with the in an exacta still pays 16/1. And 5/1 to win isn't bad.

A "saver" exacta covering my shots /,, would pay at least $150. Tempting.

/,, not so much at $75 or $42.
Old 05-07-2022, 09:37 AM   #4
Aerocraft67
Enthusiast

Looking at the win pool with more than $1,000,000 in there now. Big changes among the chalk are and . And no one is below 5/1.

Unsurprisingly, is vying for favoritism from sixth on the ML. Both increases my resolve and makes me nervous going against him.

I have to say, Zandon is harder to dismiss at 8/1 fourth choice than he was as 3/1 ML favorite. Also makes less of a standout at the same price, down from 10/1. Probably not enough to knock me off him, but I might fade him a little to accommodate some .

In the mid price range, ,,, all moved up a little. Nothing that changes my preferences for them. I'll take it as a positive on the , and the still seems fair at 10th choice.

What's up with the at 22/1? How is he not 65/1?

Zozos seems better at 40/1 than 20/1, but Simplification is a real bargain at that price. I think I need to make room for him on my tickets.

Backers of and especially (I'm looking at you, Mike Beer), will be happy with big prices, especially that 66/1 on .

Delighted my is both 67/1 and not the longest shot (which would depress the value a little).

I think I need to find room for , and dilute with .

Last edited by Aerocraft67; 05-07-2022 at 09:38 AM.
Old 05-07-2022, 09:49 AM   #5
jefftune

I landed on Messier. Tiz the Bomb will also get some $$ from me , I was really impressed with his last race - extremely wide the whole race and won easily!
jefftune is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-07-2022, 03:27 PM   #6
Parkview_Pirate

I want to cry....

I hate to say it, but this is the toughest Derby I've tried to handicap in the last 37 years. The more I look at the horses and data, the more my head hurts. Maybe I should just pick names or through darts. I came up with a key horse easily enough, but wouldn't be surprised to see 10 others up for the win.

Tossing some logical contenders at shorter prices 'cause I ain't rich, but I am greedy.

50 cent tri - cost $6
++++++++++++++
1st:
2nd:
3rd:

I'll flop top 2 and bottom 2 lines, and place flat bets on the dog.
Parkview_Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-07-2022, 03:37 PM   #7
Dtom80

12-10-7 boxed

Taiba has another gear just watch the end of SA Derby.
Zandon jock and trainer will be ready to roll

I’ll add 1,3,6,8, 15 on on a super with the top three listed above.
Dtom80 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-07-2022, 04:09 PM   #8
zico20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parkview_Pirate View Post
I hate to say it, but this is the toughest Derby I've tried to handicap in the last 37 years. The more I look at the horses and data, the more my head hurts. Maybe I should just pick names or through darts. I came up with a key horse easily enough, but wouldn't be surprised to see 10 others up for the win.

Tossing some logical contenders at shorter prices 'cause I ain't rich, but I am greedy.

50 cent tri - cost $6
++++++++++++++
1st:
2nd:
3rd:

I'll flop top 2 and bottom 2 lines, and place flat bets on the dog.
If you look at horses who lost their final prep race being out of the money AND by more than 10 lengths their performance in the Derby is atrocious. Classic Causeway should be even money to run last. I have tossed every UAE horse since they started running in the Derby and it has served me well. Yes, one day there will be one that hits the board and even wins and it will burn me but I won't waste a penny on any of them until they do.
Old 05-07-2022, 06:10 PM   #9
Redboard
$2 Showbettor

Win: ,
Exacta box: , , ,

Flipped a coin. No real strong opinion about anyone. Wide open.
Redboard is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-07-2022, 06:13 PM   #10
jocko699
Resurrectionist

All in on the first Tapit winner of the KD
jocko699 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-07-2022, 06:32 PM   #11
Aerocraft67
Enthusiast

Wagers:

Win dutch ,,

Exacta dutch
,, / ,,,
+
, / ,,

Trifecta
,, / ,,,, / ,,,,

Superfecta
,, / ,,, / ,,, / ,,,,
Old 05-07-2022, 06:34 PM   #12
BlueChip@DRF
Random Numbers Generator

Location: In the grandstand looking under the seats for tickets or food
Epicenter just got hit by The Mattress
Old 05-07-2022, 06:36 PM   #13
jocko699
Resurrectionist

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueChip@DRF View Post
Epicenter just got hit by The Mattress
But it might be soiled
jocko699 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-08-2022, 07:32 AM   #14
Aerocraft67
Enthusiast

Only plausible way I'd have Rich Strike on top is with an ALL slot. But that's prohibitively expensive with 20 runners, and an unlikely tactic with so much analysis of the race.

At best he'd have made the bottom of the deeper verticals if I'd understood his distance capability better.

There were two other late runners with clearly superior credentials and very legitimate contenders. They finished 3rd and 5th.

I'd say I was wrong about Zandon, but he was only on the bubble for my tickets. Had I emphasized meltdown, I'd have had him in.

Epicenter certainly deserves credit as the real deal.

Simplification also deserves a new level of respect. It had probably the most even early/late TFUS pace profile. Led only a third of the pack to the 3/4 pole and made the super at 35-1. At least I had that!
Old 05-08-2022, 09:42 AM   #15
rastajenk
Just Deplorable

Epicenter seems like the one from this race most likely to go on to multiple Grade One wins.
rastajenk is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: