Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Old 09-29-2018, 05:46 PM   #1
tophatmert

Jockey Club Gold Cup

I'm going to take a shot with Carlino as he may be running late and I have been sitting all day watching.exbox also use with the chalk.w/p on the
tophatmert is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-29-2018, 05:49 PM   #2
Immortal6

Have made money in the past keying the in 2nd and 3rd in tris.

/7/
//

Exacta /
Immortal6 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-29-2018, 05:57 PM   #3
Immortal6

Oh my dear lord. Why did I not spend the extra $6 to put him on top in the exacta and tri. Such a cruel cruel game sometimes. Even when you've got it figured out, it still kicks your ass.
Immortal6 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-29-2018, 05:58 PM   #4
Secondbest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immortal6 View Post
Have made money in the past keying the in 2nd and 3rd in tris.

/7/
//

Exacta /
Did you put on top?
Secondbest is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-29-2018, 07:51 PM   #5
bobphilo

Absolute lunacy on the parts of Ortiz and Moore on Diversify and Mendelssohn. The order of finish was exactly the reverse of the top 4 contenders at the pace calls. Pace truly made this race. Can't wait to see cj's pace and final figures for this race. Hope he posts them here. I'm dying to analyze this race.

Last edited by bobphilo; 09-29-2018 at 07:56 PM.
bobphilo is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-29-2018, 07:56 PM   #6
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobphilo View Post
Absolute lunacy on the parts of Ortiz and Moore on Diversify and Mendelssohn. The order of finish was exactly the reverse of the top 4 contenders at the pace calls. Pace truly made this race. Can't wait to see cj's pace and final figures for this race. Hope he posts them here. I'm dying to analyze this race.
Sure, I'll post them. I don't give a lot of extra credit at 10f for pace in the overall number but the pace figures will tell the tale.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-29-2018, 08:14 PM   #7
bobphilo

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
Sure, I'll post them. I don't give a lot of extra credit at 10f for pace in the overall number but the pace figures will tell the tale.
I have a suspicion that, given the pace, all 4 will end up with the same pace adjusted final figure - which I would agree with.
Old 09-29-2018, 08:58 PM   #8
bobphilo

Quote:
I find that pace is just as important in distance races as in sprint, maybe even more so. Pace effects stamina and long distances put a higher premium on stamina. The 12 furlong Belmont is often called a riders race because the riders' sense of pace is so important. All the extra quarters in a distance race mean more chances to deviate from a good pace pattern, but, as you say, we'll see.
Old 09-29-2018, 09:05 PM   #9
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
I find that pace is just as important in distance races as in sprint, maybe even more so. Pace effects stamina and long distances put a higher premium on stamina. The 12 furlong Belmont is often called a riders race because the riders' sense of pace is so important. All the extra quarters in a distance race mean more chances to deviate from a good pace pattern, but, as you say, we'll see.
We found we didn't get the value when we accounted for pace the same at all distances. Too many horses get less and less tractable as the distances get longer. Basically, we were over rewarding too many horses that didn't run back to the numbers. I don't disagree pace is as important. It may even be more so at longer distances.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-29-2018, 09:37 PM   #10
Afleet

thought Mendy ran huge here. Dueled a horse for course into the ground
Afleet is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-29-2018, 09:42 PM   #11
Buckeye
Smarty Pants

I heard that if Mendelssohn is in the race and there are little horse graphics in the racing form which I don't understand, play the highest odds horse.
Buckeye is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-29-2018, 10:59 PM   #12
bobphilo

Quote:
We found we didn't get the value when we accounted for pace the same at all distances. Too many horses get less and less tractable as the distances get longer. Basically, we were over rewarding too many horses that didn't run back to the numbers. I don't disagree pace is as important. It may even be more so at longer distances.
It could may be that people are more aware of the effect of pace at longer distances and are betting them more heavily. That would account for the higher R.O.I. I was talking about the win %.
Old 09-29-2018, 11:07 PM   #13
bobphilo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye View Post
I heard that if Mendelssohn is in the race and there are little horse graphics in the racing form which I don't understand, play the highest odds horse.

Not usually profitable strategy to bet a horse due to a lack of knowledge. Lacking any other info, longshots tend be so for a reason and are bad bets unless you know something the public doesn't.
Old 09-29-2018, 11:24 PM   #14
bobphilo

I will always keep fond memories of the JCGC in my heart. I was just a kid and my mom took me to the track for the first time. I got to see the great Kelos win his 5th JCGC in a row (when it was run at 2 miles) on the way to his unprecedented 5th horse of the year title.
I found a Racing Form and picked the horse with the three top speed ratings and got my mom to bet them for me and they both won. I've been hooked ever since.
Old 09-30-2018, 01:40 AM   #15
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
I have a suspicion that, given the pace, all 4 will end up with the same pace adjusted final figure - which I would agree with.
Here you go. These could change a point when made official, didn't look that close at the rounding

1/4 171
1/2 171
3/4 154
1m 137
Fin 121

Discreet Lover 123
Thunder Snow 123
Mendelssohn 123
Carlino 116
Diversify 121
Gronkowski 114
Uno Mas Modelo 112