Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 02-01-2018, 10:22 AM   #16
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMB@BP View Post
The really good Arrogate beat Gun Runner who beats American Pharoah who beat California Chrome.
I'd argue that wasn't the really good Gun Runner though. He clearly got much better after Dubai.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-01-2018, 10:40 AM   #17
fiznow

1. American Pharoah
2. Arrogate
3.Gun Runner
4. California Chrome
Old 02-01-2018, 10:49 AM   #18
GMB@BP

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
I'd argue that wasn't the really good Gun Runner though. He clearly got much better after Dubai.
I agree.

We never saw these to race against each other at their peak, I suppose Dubai would be the closest.

Its splitting hairs really.
GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-01-2018, 11:34 AM   #19
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
I agree.

We never saw these to race against each other at their peak, I suppose Dubai would be the closest.

Its splitting hairs really.
Agree, both were fabulous horses we were lucky to see in such a short span.
Old 02-01-2018, 12:05 PM   #20
Lemon Drop Husker
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
Agree, both were fabulous horses we were lucky to see in such a short span.
Gun Runner and Arrogate is really a tough call.

I'm more partial to the absolute brilliance flashed by Arrogate over a 4 race stretch of the Travers, BC Classic, Pegasus, and Dubai in which he brought forth memories of the greatest of the greatest from years past. Breaking the track record at Saratoga in which it was half a football field to his nearest contender was unbelievable.

Gun Runner on the other hand put together as strong a resume as one can build over a 2 year stretch nowadays. He is a great grinder that will be remembered well.

At their best: Arrogate
Over a 10 race stretch: Gun Runner

I guess it really comes down to which you prefer.
Lemon Drop Husker is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-01-2018, 12:08 PM   #21
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemon Drop Husker View Post
Gun Runner and Arrogate is really a tough call.

I'm more partial to the absolute brilliance flashed by Arrogate over a 4 race stretch of the Travers, BC Classic, Pegasus, and Dubai in which he brought forth memories of the greatest of the greatest from years past. Breaking the track record at Saratoga in which it was half a football field to his nearest contender was unbelievable.

Gun Runner on the other hand put together as strong a resume as one can build over a 2 year stretch nowadays. He is a great grinder that will be remembered well.

At their best: Arrogate
Over a 10 race stretch: Gun Runner

I guess it really comes down to which you prefer.
I agree. I have Gun Runner a little faster than Arrogate, but he also did that at the end of his four year old and early five year old seasons. Had Arrogate held form maybe he is as fast or faster. But as you mention, that is part of the story. Gun Runner stayed good for a longer stretch.
Old 02-01-2018, 01:20 PM   #22
dilanesp

Chrome had the best career.

Arrogate had the most raw talent.

Pharoah made the biggest impact.

Gun Runner closed out his career the best.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-01-2018, 11:49 PM   #23
ultracapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
At their best?

Arrogate
Gun Runner
American Pharoah
California Chrome
I like this order, and I have no prejudice towards CC. Other than the KDerby, AP was pretty one dimensional. Maybe because he was heads better than his generation. When you're just faster than the rest, you hit the lead and don't goof off, I get that. The other 3 were/are more flexible. Arrogate was just a plain old monster at his apex. Great race horse, was he.
ultracapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-02-2018, 09:01 AM   #24
castaway01

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post
Chrome had the best career.

Arrogate had the most raw talent.

Pharoah made the biggest impact.

Gun Runner closed out his career the best.
I might change "best career" to "longest career" for Chrome, but otherwise this is how I see it too.
castaway01 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-02-2018, 09:50 AM   #25
GMB@BP

Whats funny is if Shared Belief does not get hurt he may have been better than all these.
GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-02-2018, 10:10 AM   #26
Lemon Drop Husker
Veteran

Quote:
Whats funny is if Shared Belief does not get hurt he may have been better than all these.
Yep. That was a pretty special horse. Who knows what he could have been.
Lemon Drop Husker is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-02-2018, 12:42 PM   #27
burnsy
self medicated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemon Drop Husker View Post
Arrogate is 4-1 against Gun Runner and California Chrome.

Hard to know what AP really was. I think he was great, but not sure he really beat anybody of note.
That's the problem with retiring healthy at 3. It kind of kills the game. AP could of been anything, but no one will ever see it or find out. He never faced the competition the others did so its hard to say.

I like PA's order (at their best) but i might exchange CC to third and make AP fourth. Just for the fact that after the Triple Crown, AP really only had one hard race. Arrogate was a beast but his form lasted like 4 races. CC had the best longevity of all of them though. I mean its hard to rank todays race horses they just seem to come and go. When you have to say "at their best" you know some of them were short runs.
burnsy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-02-2018, 12:45 PM   #28
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnsy View Post
That's the problem with retiring healthy at 3. It kind of kills the game. AP could of been anything, but no one will ever see it or find out. He never faced the competition the others did so its hard to say.

I like PA's order (at their best) but i might exchange CC to third and make AP fourth. Just for the fact that after the Triple Crown, AP really only had one hard race. Arrogate was a beast but his form lasted like 4 races. CC had the best longevity of all of them though. I mean its hard to rank todays race horses they just seem to come and go. When you have to say "at their best" you know some of them were short runs.
One of my very specific disappointments about AP is that in any rational system, he would have met Chrome and that would have been a good race. Chrome was a star both before and after AP's career.

Of course Zenyatta and Rachel never met either. This is a real cancer on this sport. Imagine if Ali and Frazier fought at the same time and never met, or Federer and Nadal.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-02-2018, 01:06 PM   #29
Denny
Veteran

American Pharoah - A Triple Crown + BC Classic puts him in a league of his own
Gun Runner - Got the better of his main rival in the end
Arrogate - Great for four great races
California Chrome - The least of the four
Denny is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-02-2018, 01:09 PM   #30
burnsy
self medicated

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post
One of my very specific disappointments about AP is that in any rational system, he would have met Chrome and that would have been a good race. Chrome was a star both before and after AP's career.

Of course Zenyatta and Rachel never met either. This is a real cancer on this sport. Imagine if Ali and Frazier fought at the same time and never met, or Federer and Nadal.
I posted something similar two BC's ago. All of them in there would of been a real "Classic." (AP, Chrome, Arrogate) AP, if he improved, could of been the best horse for decades.....and it was all left on the table. That's why i would put Chrome ahead, i agree. Its a detriment when horses like that retire and Chrome stuck it out. That's real sportsmanship.
burnsy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply