Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 07-23-2019, 07:14 PM   #1
GMB@BP

Mike Watchmaker let go by DRF?

Saw his Twitter?

Mike Watchmaker
@Mike_Watchmaker
Former national handicapper for Daily Racing Form.

He had been there for a while. Matt Bernier announced he was gone as well.

Anyone else gone?
GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-23-2019, 07:47 PM   #2
ldiatone

read there was a lot of layoffs also via twitter

and now in Lancaster, CA.
ldiatone is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-23-2019, 08:37 PM   #3
GMB@BP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldiatone View Post
read there was a lot of layoffs also via twitter
That sucks, two people I usually read were Hovday and MW. I tended to watch videos with Mike Beer as I think he is pretty good.
Old 07-23-2019, 10:35 PM   #4
Aerocraft67
Enthusiast

Saw an allusion to this on the speed figures thread. I Googled "Daily Racing Form," this was top hit: https://www.horseraceinsider.com/dai...m-up-for-sale/

Grooming for an(other) acquisition seems to be the theory. Not sure what DRF has left of value it dumps its talent. Beyer figs still have life in them given the figures poll thread, but plenty of competition there—including what DRF has brought in-house itself with TFUS.

Watchmaker seemed like the wise elder statesman and Bernier the upcoming young talent. A hard-working one at that. Dude was omnipresent on the videos, like when Beer and Illman were off for a week this month.

Canning them both (not to mention the others) just seems like burning the candle at both ends. Barring some palace coup, desperation is the only logical conclusion. Pretty depressing. We'll see what, if anything, they all have up their sleeves.
Aerocraft67 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-23-2019, 10:48 PM   #5
dilanesp

Wow. I can't imagine New York racing coverage without Watchmaker
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-23-2019, 10:48 PM   #6
GMB@BP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerocraft67 View Post
Saw an allusion to this on the speed figures thread. I Googled "Daily Racing Form," this was top hit: https://www.horseraceinsider.com/dai...m-up-for-sale/

Grooming for an(other) acquisition seems to be the theory. Not sure what DRF has left of value it dumps its talent. Beyer figs still have life in them given the figures poll thread, but plenty of competition there—including what DRF has brought in-house itself with TFUS.

Watchmaker seemed like the wise elder statesman and Bernier the upcoming young talent. A hard-working one at that. Dude was omnipresent on the videos, like when Beer and Illman were off for a week this month.

Canning them both (not to mention the others) just seems like burning the candle at both ends. Barring some palace coup, desperation is the only logical conclusion. Pretty depressing. We'll see what, if anything, they all have up their sleeves.
Thanks for the link. That sucks as a racing fan. Always was an interesting read after the weekend stakes what they had to say.
Old 07-23-2019, 11:31 PM   #7
thaskalos

Is a decrease in the paper copy price part of this DRF cost-cutting maneuver?
Old 07-23-2019, 11:34 PM   #8
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post

Gus, you are killing me!
Old 07-24-2019, 01:48 PM   #9
Robert Fischer
clean money

Good points/observations...

I have a distant/cloudy superficial view, but on the surface it looks very disappointing.

The surface shows a product that I both loved the utility of, and had a brand loyalty to, that stood idle for years while the game changed, did a poor job of using social media, raised prices (pricing me 'out', and) apparently opted for a 'niche' market...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerocraft67 View Post

Old 07-24-2019, 04:51 PM   #10
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
They send me an email today, proclaiming the huge 20% OFF OUR ENTRE STORE!!!!!

Then, at the bottom, in smaller print,they list the products NOT covered by the word ENTIRE. So they lied in caps.

Whatever their strategy is, apparently it doesn't include integrity or honesty.
Old 07-24-2019, 06:08 PM   #11
Afleet

Sorry to hear that. I liked Watchmaker. Getting rid of Bernier makes no sense
Afleet is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-24-2019, 07:21 PM   #12
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
They send me an email today, proclaiming the huge 20% OFF OUR ENTRE STORE!!!!!

Then, at the bottom, in smaller print,they list the products NOT covered by the word ENTIRE. So they lied in caps.

Whatever their strategy is, apparently it doesn't include integrity or honesty.
I remember in the pre-computer "darker ages"...when we had to go through the older copies of the DRF in order to do our research. I used to visit their Chicago main office so I could order several months of past editions, whenever I wanted to test a new handicapping idea. And they used to charge me the full retail price for these outdated issues of the paper...because the information contained was so "expensive to gather". So...I can find no sympathy within myself for the DRF's current financial problems. Good riddance, I say.
Old 07-24-2019, 08:47 PM   #13
Psychotic Parakeet
Sartin Methodology Fan

Hovdey and Bernier are gone too now.
Old 07-24-2019, 11:00 PM   #14
JustRalph
Just another Facist

I never understood the Bernier hire at all.

He skated for 5 yrs.......
Old 07-25-2019, 10:01 AM   #15
Robert Fischer
clean money

Beyers and Formulator are great
The 'classic' appeal of The Form, still holds weight as a good quality.

The other stuff (marketing, media, pricing, etc...) is abjectly inept.

Trying to watch some stakes preview on youtube where Illman is coaching Beer, and the video has like 500 views and 1 comment requires that you have a massive love of the game, and some time to waste, and knowledge of how to play a video at 1.5x speed rate, and... , and...

All these years and the stuff has been wasted in clueless fashion...

You have to do better than this, or stand on the shoulders of giants and get a team... even if you have to buy likes and views, and pay some horse racing buddies to comment on races for a while in order to build a network effect.
This stuff is basic 'game' for social media launches...And, you don't see it anywhere on the platform

Illman knows the old school horse racing handicapping game and he knows that schtick, but he's like me - you're supposed to coaching some attractive public speaker type , not actually being in front of the camera...

Last edited by Robert Fischer; 07-25-2019 at 10:05 AM.
Robert Fischer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply