Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 08-23-2009, 02:19 PM   #1
dutchboy
Veteran

Hollywood Park

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/horse...56185201_x.htm

Paragraph 4 is odd since I thought Hollywood Park was closing the doors for racing. If they are cutting days and races for the fall mtg why would they be talking about more days in the future?
dutchboy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-23-2009, 02:36 PM   #2
so.cal.fan

Hollywood Park is currently re-doing their cushion track.
I don't believe they will close anytime in the near future.
Yes, there is a big development planned for the property, and one day it will happen, but not in this economy.
so.cal.fan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-23-2009, 03:04 PM   #3
46zilzal
velocitician

I am reminded that Bay Meadows re-surfaced the turf course the season before they bulldozed the entire facility.
Old 08-23-2009, 03:32 PM   #4
so.cal.fan

yeah, you're right, however these companies sign contracts with the people who lay these courses, and sometimes they get this done automatically, which I suspect is the case for Hollywood and Bay Meadows....both owned by the same people.
Is Bay Meadows still sitting in a pile of rubble? Anyone know?
Very bad economy to get loans.
NOTE:
My husband just told me Bay Meadows has tons of copper (wire) that they are waiting for the price to go up, they will sell it and be able to help finance the re-development. Makes sense.
It will probably be the same situation at Hollywood?

Last edited by so.cal.fan; 08-23-2009 at 03:36 PM.
Old 08-23-2009, 10:10 PM   #5
plainolebill

That sounds a little fishy to me, even if they had 100,000 pounds of wire (which would be more than I'd guess they have) at ~1.29 for insulated copper wire they're going to be a little short.
plainolebill is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-23-2009, 10:52 PM   #6
sandpit

Quote:
Originally Posted by so.cal.fan
yeah, you're right, however these companies sign contracts with the people who lay these courses, and sometimes they get this done automatically, which I suspect is the case for Hollywood and Bay Meadows....both owned by the same people.
Is Bay Meadows still sitting in a pile of rubble? Anyone know?
Very bad economy to get loans.
NOTE:
My husband just told me Bay Meadows has tons of copper (wire) that they are waiting for the price to go up, they will sell it and be able to help finance the re-development. Makes sense.
It will probably be the same situation at Hollywood?
The Bay Meadows rubble had to be removed earlier this year after citizens complained to their local gov't that the big pile of garbage sitting there was unsightly and a health hazard. I guess they made enough noise that something had to be done.

My sources at HP tell me that they will probably race through 2011. They feel this way for a couple of reasons. Past history at BM: they took 10 years to tear down the track from the time they first proposed it. Second, the price tag on developing the HP land is $2 billion and they don't have any major retailers or housing developers interested in the space at this point. Third, and the most glaring, is that despite a great location in terms of being near the beach and LAX, it is also right next to a crime ridden area. It's not uncommon to see various illlegal activities going on when leaving the track on a Friday evening. Regardless of what the owner/developer might think, it's gonna be tough to get people to move into, shop or go out for an evening with Watts and Compton right next door.

Of course, all that could go right out the window if somebody with some big $$$ stepped in.
sandpit is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-24-2009, 12:21 AM   #7
BlueShoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandpit
Third, and the most glaring, is that despite a great location in terms of being near the beach and LAX, it is also right next to a crime ridden area. It's not uncommon to see various illlegal activities going on when leaving the track on a Friday evening. Regardless of what the owner/developer might think, it's gonna be tough to get people to move into, shop or go out for an evening with Watts and Compton right next door.
Actually,although the folks from Watts and Compton are still a problem,mostly after dark,Tijuana is just as big a nuisance,and growing larger.For example,if you take the 105 fwy,get off at Prairie and go north to the track,you might not think that you were in the USA unless you knew better.
BlueShoe is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-24-2009, 01:54 AM   #8
Imriledup

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandpit
The Bay Meadows rubble had to be removed earlier this year after citizens complained to their local gov't that the big pile of garbage sitting there was unsightly and a health hazard. I guess they made enough noise that something had to be done.

My sources at HP tell me that they will probably race through 2011. They feel this way for a couple of reasons. Past history at BM: they took 10 years to tear down the track from the time they first proposed it. Second, the price tag on developing the HP land is $2 billion and they don't have any major retailers or housing developers interested in the space at this point. Third, and the most glaring, is that despite a great location in terms of being near the beach and LAX, it is also right next to a crime ridden area. It's not uncommon to see various illlegal activities going on when leaving the track on a Friday evening. Regardless of what the owner/developer might think, it's gonna be tough to get people to move into, shop or go out for an evening with Watts and Compton right next door.

Of course, all that could go right out the window if somebody with some big $$$ stepped in.
It can never go out the window. People who have money to spend aren't moving or shopping in Inglewood. Whoever 'develops' Hol Park is going to go right in the dumper and you know what? I'll toast champagne to their failure.
Imriledup is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-24-2009, 11:46 AM   #9
so.cal.fan

I agree with you guys on the fact that the Hollywood Park property is very unlikely to be developed.
There was a plan to have a big UPS plant there, which would have made sense, near the airport and all, don't know what happened with that.

plainolebill:
I have to agree the copper thing doesn't make a lot of sense, my husband told me he heard that at Hollywood, last meet.....I haven't read it anywhere.
I know copper has gone way up in price since 1937 and 1949 or whenever they had to rebuild much of Hollywood due to a big fire.

Several horsemen and fans I know have been insisting all along.....Hollywood will out live us. They say it in jest, but perhaps it's true!
Old 08-24-2009, 02:11 PM   #10
BlueShoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by so.cal.fan
I agree with you guys on the fact that the Hollywood Park property is very unlikely to be developed.
Several horsemen and fans I know have been insisting all along.....Hollywood will out live us. They say it in jest, but perhaps it's true!
Now if only they would bring back the old dirt track the place just might have a good future.Oh well,we can dream cant we?
BlueShoe is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-24-2009, 02:23 PM   #11
CBedo
AllAboutTheROE

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueShoe
Now if only they would bring back the old dirt track the place just might have a good future.Oh well,we can dream cant we?
I'd love to see a dirt track at Hollywood, but I'll take it as it is. It's the only fake dirt track that I truly love (just don't love the fields).
Old 08-24-2009, 03:35 PM   #12
sandpit

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueShoe
Actually,although the folks from Watts and Compton are still a problem,mostly after dark,Tijuana is just as big a nuisance,and growing larger.For example,if you take the 105 fwy,get off at Prairie and go north to the track,you might not think that you were in the USA unless you knew better.
yep, I've definitely seen that, also travelling east on Century once you go under the 405, the only signs you see in English is "McDonalds" and "Burger King"
sandpit is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-24-2009, 04:32 PM   #13
plainolebill

Hey Diane, My dad worked on the rebuild of the track after it burned down in 49'. It's one of my favorite tracks and hope it does hold out for many years to come.
plainolebill is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-24-2009, 04:56 PM   #14
DJofSD
Screw PC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imriledup
It can never go out the window. People who have money to spend aren't moving or shopping in Inglewood. Whoever 'develops' Hol Park is going to go right in the dumper and you know what? I'll toast champagne to their failure.
In the '50's it actually was the place to shop.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: