Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 06-10-2018, 11:11 PM   #91
Denny
Veteran

What happened on Saturday with Bob Baffert basically taking insurance on Justify winning by using Restoring Hope as a blocker - and thus FIXING the race with the cooperation of a couple of jockeys - has left such a sour taste in my mouth that I'm stepping away from the "sport" for the foreseeable future.

I'm going to read the two books recommended to me by a fellow contributor to this site on playing no-limit holdem poker.

If I feel the need to bet a race, it will be a harness race at Woodbine/Mohawk or a track running cleaner racing - like Meadowlands - when they have a decent card for a change.

I lost every race I bet on Belmont Stakes Day and have had it with thoroughbreds. I lost a bundle betting the entire Triple Crown events and the races on those cards.

I now hate stakes races and the owners/trainers associated with them; and IF I ever come back it will be to bet other types of races entirely.

I've lost my money - and my interest.

See ya.

Denny
Denny is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-10-2018, 11:14 PM   #92
jocko699
Resurrectionist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny View Post
What happened on Saturday with Bob Baffert basically taking insurance on Justify winning by using Restoring Hope as a blocker - and thus FIXING the race with the cooperation of a couple of jockeys - has left such a sour taste in my mouth that I'm stepping away from the "sport" for the foreseeable future.

I'm going to read the two books recommended to me by a fellow contributor to this site on playing no-limit holdem poker.

If I feel the need to bet a race, it will be a harness race at Woodbine/Mohawk or a track running cleaner racing - like Meadowlands - when they have a decent card for a change.

I lost every race I bet on Belmont Stakes Day and have had it with thoroughbreds. I lost a bundle betting the entire Triple Crown events and the races on those cards.

I now hate stakes races and the owners/trainers associated with them; and IF I ever come back it will be to bet other types of races entirely.

See ya.

Denny
Hopefully the door won't hit you on your way out.
Battle is the most magnificent competition in which a human being can indulge. It brings out all that is best; it removes all that is base. All men are afraid in battle. The coward is the one who lets his fear overcome his sense of duty. Duty is the essence of manhood.
jocko699 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-10-2018, 11:16 PM   #93
GMB@BP

Quote:

See ya.

Denny
later
GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-11-2018, 07:10 PM   #94
Redbullsnation
THEY SEND IN THE MAN

Quote:

See ya.

Denny
Bye
Old 06-15-2018, 03:02 AM   #95
Prioress Ply

Yeah--anyone who gets out because the sport stinks to high heaven is ridiculed and ostracized.

Says quite a bit about the people who choose to stay in.
Prioress Ply is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-15-2018, 05:27 AM   #96
thaskalos

Quote:

See ya.

Denny
Before you abandon this game for good...might I make a suggestion that might rekindle your interest? Open a betting account at DerbyWars or Horsetourneys...and start betting heads-up handicapping tournaments against other members...instead of fighting it out against the tote board. I got into this horse tournament game late myself...but now that I got used to it, I think it's the best way to play this game. Check these two sites out...and you might thank me.
Old 06-15-2018, 12:38 PM   #97
GMB@BP

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
Before you abandon this game for good...might I make a suggestion that might rekindle your interest? Open a betting account at DerbyWars or Horsetourneys...and start betting heads-up handicapping tournaments against other members...instead of fighting it out against the tote board. I got into this horse tournament game late myself...but now that I got used to it, I think it's the best way to play this game. Check these two sites out...and you might thank me.
yea, thats mostly been my play this year. been very good to me so far.
Old 06-15-2018, 01:04 PM   #98
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMB@BP View Post
yea, thats mostly been my play this year. been very good to me so far.
Remember the old joke about the two friends who were being chased by the bear in the wilderness? One of the friends questioned the sanity of the other...who seemed to be wasting valuable time changing from his hiking boots to his sneakers. "What are you doing...you can't outrun the bear?"...the one friend asked incredulously. To which the other guy replied..."I don't have to outrun the bear. All I have to do is outrun you". This is the scenario that gets played out in today's horse racing landscape. When you play the game conventionally, then you are trying to "outrun the bear"...whereas the heads-up tournament setting allows you to simply have to outrun the other guy, as the bear closes in.

I was playing a heads-up tournament the other day...which featured the last 8 races at Mountaineer. My opponent and I had both placed mythical $2 win and place wagers on our 8 selections...for a theoretical wagering outlay of $32 each. Well...my combined selections garnered me only about a $15 return, which would have gotten me slaughtered against the tote board. But my counterpart only collected a measly $2.20...when an odds-on choice of his finished 2nd. And this wasn't a tournament for insignificant money. Seeing this...how could I not get excited about tournament play?
Old 06-15-2018, 01:12 PM   #99
GMB@BP

Quote:
Remember the old joke about the two friends who were being chased by the bear in the wilderness? One of the friends questioned the sanity of the other...who seemed to be wasting valuable time changing from his hiking boots to his sneakers. "What are you doing...you can't outrun the bear?"...the one friend asked incredulously. To which the other guy replied..."I don't have to outrun the bear. All I have to do is outrun you". This is the scenario that gets played out in today's horse racing landscape. When you play the game conventionally, then you are trying to "outrun the bear"...whereas the heads-up tournament setting allows you to simply have to outrun the other guy, as the bear closes in.

I was playing a heads-up tournament the other day...which featured the last 8 races at Mountaineer. My opponent and I had both placed mythical $2 win and place wagers on our 8 selections...for a theoretical wagering outlay of $32 each. Well...my combined selections garnered me only about a $15 return, which would have gotten me slaughtered against the tote board. But my counterpart only collected a measly $2.20...when an odds-on choice of his finished 2nd. And this wasn't a tournament for insignificant money. Seeing this...how could I not get excited about tournament play?
What I have been doing is using the head 2 head money as a bankroll to play in the qualifiers. I usually do good in those and then with breakage in the 2nd rounds, or even the third, make money.

I got to a $700 final starting with $11 and finished 3rd (2nd qualified for a 8k cash tourney), but got the $700 breakage.

I am still feeling my way through the best way to play. I am wining about 70% of my heads up play.
Old 06-15-2018, 01:21 PM   #100
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMB@BP View Post
What I have been doing is using the head 2 head money as a bankroll to play in the qualifiers. I usually do good in those and then with breakage in the 2nd rounds, or even the third, make money.

I got to a $700 final starting with $11 and finished 3rd (2nd qualified for a 8k cash tourney), but got the $700 breakage.

I am still feeling my way through the best way to play. I am wining about 70% of my heads up play.
I am concentrating strictly on the heads-up tournaments for now. I had no prior experience whatsoever in this form of play...so I set up a modest bankroll and started playing at the $22 level...intending to gradually move up as my bankroll and experience increased. But my winning percentage at that level was so surprisingly high that I decided to throw caution to the wind...and fund my account with serious money so I could move up the betting ladder faster, to avoid wasting valuable time.

Say...are our cash deposits there really safe...or can these sites disappear into thin air?
Old 06-15-2018, 01:23 PM   #101
GMB@BP

Quote:
I am concentrating strictly on the heads-up tournaments for now. I had no prior experience whatsoever in this form of play...so I set up a modest bankroll and started playing at the $22 level...intending to gradually move up as my bankroll and experience increased. But my winning percentage at that level was so surprisingly high that I decided to throw caution to the wind...and fund my account with serious money so I could move up the betting ladder faster, to avoid wasting valuable time.

Say...are our cash deposits there really safe...or can these sites disappear into thin air?
I feel like they are pretty secure, horse tourneys is tied in with NTRA at least, and DRF is not going anywhere.

Derby Wars, I have the least and am the most suspect.

I dont keep any money in them that I feel like I would be really upset if they went away. I am not a big player so 1k is my usually bankroll in those.
Old 06-15-2018, 01:52 PM   #102
Denny
Veteran

Thaskalos,

Thanks for the suggestion.

Right now I'm so turned off that I'm just staying away from betting thoroughbreds.

Instead, started betting harness at Woodbine/Mohawk.

Early results are positive.

I'll post my ROI after a months play.
Old 06-17-2018, 01:24 PM   #103
thespaah

Quote:
How would you have liked to be at Pimlico today?

MJC cancels last 6 races of the day due to heavy rain!
Track couldn't handle it.

If the people running thoroughbred racing weren't morons, they'd have figured out the answer by now!

Install an ALL WEATHER TRACK as a backup.

(Thankfully there is a track that will be doing it.)
When a weather event such as a 6 inch rain fall in less than 3 hours, nothing is designed for that.
thespaah is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-17-2018, 01:38 PM   #104
Denny
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by thespaah View Post
When a weather event such as a 6 inch rain fall in less than 3 hours, nothing is designed for that.
I think you're exaggerating a bit.

An ALL WEATHER track can handle quite a bit of rain.

DIRT can't. They cancelled a Saturday at The Spa last year for a downpour.

We'll find out when the AW is installed at Belmont Park in a couple of years.

Belmont will be the best and most versatile racetrack in the world IMO.

See you at Saratoga.
Old 06-19-2018, 11:17 AM   #105
ultracapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdavis7837 View Post
I go to a dive in Everett Wa above a closed night club that you have to walk through to get to the stairs, half the monitors are old big box type tv’s and the place smells like mold, but the place was packed, just about everyone knows everyone else and half stand and yell during the race, the other half insults the person that gave him bad advice ,no food except a vending machine no drinks except plain old coffee that you have to make yourself most of the time, have to walk behind a closed run down bar to get to the bathroom, man I love that place, don’t know how they get away with codes, fire ect. But have never had a bad time there
Is Eamonn and Mikey still hanging around up there? How about Ray Ray? Yea, that place is a dump, but it has always been full.
ultracapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply