Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Sports

Old 12-20-2017, 07:09 PM   #1
Marshall Bennett

College Bowl Games

Anyone else have the college bowl spirit? I realize its over-inflated and not what it once was, but still beats watching basketball.

Tonight : Louisiana Tech +4.5
Marshall Bennett is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-20-2017, 11:39 PM   #2
NJ Stinks

Yeah, Marshall, I'm watching because I had Louisiana Tech and over 70 tonight.

So I had to watch to the bitter end!

But last night and tonight were just horrible games. If these early games don't get better soon, ESPN may just decide to save their money.
Old 12-21-2017, 12:22 AM   #3
barahona44

Location: Diez meses en Port St. Lucie, FL; two months in the Dominican Republic
Wyoming is playing Central Michigan Friday in the Famous Idaho Potato Bowl (is there an Unknown Idaho potato ? ).A chance to see Wyoming's Josh Allen ,considered the third best QB in the 2018 NFL draft after Sam Darnold and Josh Rosen and probably a top ten pick. Wyoming doesn't play nationally very often on television.

Also the Arizona Bowl next weekend will feature New Mexico State, the D-1 program that has gone the longest without a bowl appearance, 1960, which would be 57 years.I was in first grade and Dwight Eisenhower was president.

Fleetwood Mac, Oh Well, Part 1 (1969)

Last edited by barahona44; 12-21-2017 at 12:25 AM.
barahona44 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-21-2017, 12:43 AM   #4
ElKabong

Take Mizzou minus 3 vs Texas. Detailed this in the college football thread.
ElKabong is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-21-2017, 01:05 AM   #5
kingfin66
Bombardier

Quote:
Originally Posted by barahona44 View Post
Wyoming is playing Central Michigan Friday in the Famous Idaho Potato Bowl (is there an Unknown Idaho potato ? ).A chance to see Wyoming's Josh Allen ,considered the third best QB in the 2018 NFL draft after Sam Darnold and Josh Rosen and probably a top ten pick. Wyoming doesn't play nationally very often on television.

Also the Arizona Bowl next weekend will feature New Mexico State, the D-1 program that has gone the longest without a bowl appearance, 1960, which would be 57 years.I was in first grade and Dwight Eisenhower was president.
He may actually be the best QB in the draft, but does not get the same hype as Mayfield, Darnold and Rosen. You could probably put Lamar Jackson in that group as well. This will be a really good QB class. Do you think Allen will come out this year, or wait until next year when the pool isn't quite as deep?
Old 12-21-2017, 01:38 AM   #6
barahona44

Location: Diez meses en Port St. Lucie, FL; two months in the Dominican Republic
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfin66 View Post
He may actually be the best QB in the draft, but does not get the same hype as Mayfield, Darnold and Rosen. You could probably put Lamar Jackson in that group as well. This will be a really good QB class. Do you think Allen will come out this year, or wait until next year when the pool isn't quite as deep?
I think he comes out.First round draft choices have a rookie scale and slipping even a few notches can cost a player millions .Now if he waits a year he could go Number one overall but he could also slip the way Matt Linehart did when he probably have been Top 2 or 3 after his junior year but returned to USC his senior year.Although his numbers were still good, he went to number 10 as the teams started seeing his flaws and the consensus was that USC system made Leinart better than he really was which turned out to be an on the money evaluation.
And there's always the injury factor. I think the Cardinals would be a good fit,especially if Carson Palmer comes back for another year, let Allen sit, watch and learn before being thrown in the fray.

Fleetwood Mac, Oh Well, Part 1 (1969)
barahona44 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-21-2017, 09:18 AM   #7
green80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall Bennett View Post
Anyone else have the college bowl spirit? I realize its over-inflated and not what it once was, but still beats watching basketball.

Tonight : Louisiana Tech +4.5
OK, one in a row
green80 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-21-2017, 10:00 AM   #8
Lemon Drop Husker
Veteran

Quote:
Josh Allen actually had a horrible year. At one point in time, he was #1 on Mel and McShay's draft boards. He might not be a 1st rounder now.

I'm not sold on any of them to draft in the 1st round if it were my choice as a GM.

I can buy a little into Darnold, but you better have a lot of good parts around him. The rest are crap as far as I'm concerned.

Mayfield: Rarely a straight drop and throw QB. Too many plays made when running around which won't happen in the NFL. Can be accurate. Height is a serious issue. Save the Drew Brees comparisons. He has played awful against any defense with a pulse.

Darnold:
Obviously needs great people around him. Can make a livelihood of bad decisions and throws on a bad team. Great arm though. More than good accuracy, and just feels like an NFL QB.

Rosen:
Outside of a miracle year from Goff, how many slim statured QBs are there in the NFL that play every week, and are productive and win games? Yes, cat has your tongue over the past 30 years or more. His whole career is more tidal than it is about being consistent and winning. I would never draft this guy. Undraftable in my opinion and being touted as a possible overall #1. I have little doubt the Browns have this guy pegged.

Jackson:
Simply not smart enough to play QB in the NFL. Sure, he could have a Vince Young type season when he enters the league, but when people figure him out, he has no other options. His Wonderlic score will be brutal. This isn't the 2nd coming of Michael Vick. IF I draft him, it would be more in a Tyreek Hill at KC type of role. But that won't happen, and somebody will go all in on this guy at QB. 3 years from now, I'll get him in some trade for cheap, and maybe win more games with him in the slot.
Lemon Drop Husker is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-21-2017, 11:29 AM   #9
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by barahona44 View Post
the consensus was that USC system made Leinart better than he really was which turned out to be an on the money evaluation.
That is most always the case with USC quarterbacks. Who is the best one in the NFL the last 40 years, Carson Palmer? USC seems to always get 5 star recruits on offense, from the O-line to the skill positions. Kind of hard not to look good when you have 5 seconds to throw to guys open by 5 yards.
Inner Dirt is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-21-2017, 11:51 AM   #10
ElKabong

Quote:
Allen is an nfl caliber qb, no doubt. I liked him the first time I saw him. (Enjoyed those late night mwc games.)

Mayfield may be on a roster for a year or two, the rah rah stuff from a small qb with limited abilities doesn't set well on Sunday's (he's a very very good college qb for sure).

Funny how luck plays a big part of a qb' success in the nfl. It really depends on the fit of the qb and the team / coach / franchise. If Bert Jones from the 70s had a better break he'd have been a hall of gamer. Same for a lot of guys that had talent but we're in offenses that didn't fit their skills.... Or were saddled with poor coaching and poor schemes.
ElKabong is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-22-2017, 04:16 PM   #11
Marshall Bennett

C. Michigan +3
Old 12-22-2017, 04:31 PM   #12
jay68802

Take Nebraska and give the points....never mind that's next year. Just angry because I have to make different vacation plans this year.
jay68802 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-22-2017, 04:44 PM   #13
Inner Dirt

Every year I count how many bowl games still remain on free broadcast TV, this year there are only 3 left.
Inner Dirt is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-22-2017, 07:54 PM   #14
Marshall Bennett

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall Bennett View Post
C. Michigan +3
Oops, thought this was a prime time game, had already started.
Whatever.
Old 12-23-2017, 09:11 AM   #15
Marshall Bennett

1-1

Texas Tech +3
Army +7