Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 09-24-2017, 10:47 PM   #16
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahoss9698 View Post
How dare people have opinions and they express them! Don't they know their role?
Their role is precisely the point. They are altering their traditional role to make a political statement. I don’t tune in for individual political statements. I tune in to watch the game.

They could take a cue from Nascar
Old 09-24-2017, 10:48 PM   #17
Fager Fan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElKabong View Post
You make a great point but let me offer a diff view

Up until the past couple of weeks, my wife just wanted to watch games... Cowboys, Rangers, and Mavs to be precise. If I ever tried to talk about spousal abuse, sitting down for anthems, criminal behavior, she just didn't care. Just wanted to watch the games w/ o the side stories

She changed her mind two weeks ago, but tonight was the last straw. The zeke Elliott saga (obvious he has a problem) the increasing anthem sit downs had her at the limit. We had plans to go to Red Rock club for a cowboy game watching party tomorrow, but after seeing the mike tirico segment five minutes ago on player and team sit downs / protest, she doesn't want to go. We can see our friends in a different venue, not nfl related.

Iow, the nfl lost a lifetime fan in my wife. We have season tix to UT Arlington basketball, go to a lot of ranger games, so she won't miss it much. The nfl (and other leagues) needs to wake up. They're seeing a lot of life long fans exit.
Kudos to your wife.
Fager Fan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-24-2017, 10:53 PM   #18
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess Hawsen Arown View Post
How are these guys not fired?
Because their bosses agree with them.

When employees on TV say the WRONG THING, that the bosses DON'T AGREE with, THEN THEY ARE FIRED.
PaceAdvantage is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-24-2017, 11:04 PM   #19
Dahoss9698
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph View Post
Their role is precisely the point. They are altering their traditional role to make a political statement. I don’t tune in for individual political statements. I tune in to watch the game.

They could take a cue from Nascar
Again, it doesn't detract from my viewing experience at all. It doesn't impact my life at all. It's a non issue.

I don't agree with it...but I also don't care. I'm fortunate enough to live in a country where guys can sit during the anthem and not get killed for it.

It's not like entertainers and athletes making political statements is a new thing. From the 1968 Olympic "salute" to Muhammad Ali, athletes have been making similar statements for decades. Entertainers are always traditionally liberal leaning.

The media and how we devour media has changed. We've changed.
Dahoss9698 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-24-2017, 11:06 PM   #20
thaskalos

I posted in another thread that "there is too much freedom in this freaking country", and I was gang-tackled by many of the "freedom-lovers" here...who were quick to remind me of the importance of our "constitutional right of expressing our opinions...now matter HOW unpopular those opinions may be". And now...these same "freedom-loving" members of this site are seeking to "retaliate" against the exact same "unpopular opinion expressions" that they were defending only a few weeks ago.

I guess the Neo-Nazis are allowed to express their "unpopular opinions"...but the football players aren't.
Old 09-24-2017, 11:07 PM   #21
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Don't lump me in with them, whatever you do. I never once expressed on here or anywhere that these players shouldn't be allowed to express themselves in any way they see fit, legally.
Old 09-24-2017, 11:07 PM   #22
ReplayRandall
Buckle Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
Because their bosses agree with them.

When employees on TV say the WRONG THING, that the bosses DON'T AGREE with, THEN THEY ARE FIRED.
And when no one watches anymore, the sponsors are done with it.....The public has spoken, the NFL is in a 6-foot hole and the sponsors are ready to shovel the dirt over the dung hole. Owners will fire Goodell to appease the sponsors.... and the fans as an afterthought.
ReplayRandall is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-24-2017, 11:09 PM   #23
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

I take that back a bit. The bosses may or MAY NOT agree with what the host says, but in the current political environment, they err on the side of caution and avoid the heat that would come down on them from the left if they were to fire certain people for what they said.

There isn't as much heat from the right...well...maybe from the President, but they really don't fear him all that much...
Old 09-24-2017, 11:10 PM   #24
ElKabong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahoss9698 View Post
Entertainers are always traditionally liberal leaning.
Roger staubach, Ronald Reagan, rusty Tillman, Bob Hope, Bing Crosby, Rick Monday and thousands others would like to have a word with you....
ElKabong is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-24-2017, 11:10 PM   #25
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Look at how far back you're going with a lot of those.
Old 09-24-2017, 11:12 PM   #26
Dahoss9698
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElKabong View Post
Roger staubach, Ronald Reagan, rusty Tillman, Bob Hope, Bing Crosby, Rick Monday and thousands others would like to have a word with you....
Come on man. Are you really going to argue that Hollywood has been a liberal playground for a long time?
Old 09-24-2017, 11:13 PM   #27
Dahoss9698
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
I posted in another thread that "there is too much freedom in this freaking country", and I was gang-tackled by many of the "freedom-lovers" here...who were quick to remind me of the importance of our "constitutional right of expressing our opinions...now matter HOW unpopular those opinions may be". And now...these same "freedom-loving" members of this site are seeking to "retaliate" against the exact same "unpopular opinion expressions" that they were defending only a few weeks ago.

I guess the Neo-Nazis are allowed to express their "unpopular opinions"...but the football players aren't.
Sharp post
Old 09-24-2017, 11:20 PM   #28
ReplayRandall
Buckle Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
Paying customers of the NFL are entitled to get what they pay for, which is a football game for 3 hours, not some political statement from the players who have the other 165 hours a week to make their statements freely.....
ReplayRandall is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-24-2017, 11:25 PM   #29
crestridge
Paladin & Fudge

Dahoss

If indeed you wish to not support this, ok, but remember you're supporting hypocrisy, because if they really meant business, they wouldn't produce opulent lifestyles, worldviews; they would place their money where their mouth is and support communities in much need; many who are cold, hungry, addicted to bad habits, crime infested, lack of educational opportunity and without hope. These two industries could make even a small dent in their fellow brother/sisters lives, with good intent. Maybe they need a "wake-up" call from us, to effect their "pocket books". It seems people listen when the "pocket book" becomes sparse.
crestridge is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-24-2017, 11:30 PM   #30
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReplayRandall View Post
Paying customers of the NFL are entitled to get what they pay for, which is a football game for 3 hours, not some political statement from the players who have the other 165 hours a week to make their statements freely.....
The football players are "free" to make any political statement that they want...and the customers are "free" to take their business wherever they please. There is "Freedom" for ALL.

If the "employers" are supporting the decisions of their "employees"...then the customers cannot infringe on the "constitutional rights" of those "employees". All the customers can do is keep their money in their pockets.