Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 09-24-2017, 09:15 PM   #1
crestridge
Paladin & Fudge

Sports/entertainment

Sports/entertainment individuals have long been exceedingly spoiled with excessive attention, prosperity, at the same time have turned their noses up to this country/peoples who have died for their freedom. It's time these amenities were reduced by consumers of sports/entertainment industries.

Reduce their revenue by not supporting them, boycott their renditions. Let the stadiums/movies remain barren. Maybe we shouldn't be "worshiping" them in the first place!!
crestridge is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-24-2017, 09:26 PM   #2
ElKabong

I'm in.

My wife and I attend local theater productions often. More than once recently people have left the theater when a player / actor makes a left wing statement before a performance we attended.

What entertainers don't understand is, it's not a one way street. When that finally becomes apparent to them they become melodramatic and feign disbelief (Dixie chicks, perfect example). Bottom line, we go to be entertained by their talent, (and I'm being generous to many of them here bc many stage actors have precious little.) Please keep your politics to yourselves. .... But a few of them just can't help themselves it seems
ElKabong is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-24-2017, 09:42 PM   #3
barahona44

Location: Diez meses en Port St. Lucie, FL; two months in the Dominican Republic
I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for this to happen,because it won't. This is especially true of sports since few people follow a sport for the enjoyment of the game itself but attatch themselves to a particuliar team.As long as they like the team,they'll put up with the nonsense.

Fleetwood Mac, Oh Well, Part 1 (1969)
barahona44 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-24-2017, 10:12 PM   #4
ElKabong

Quote:
Originally Posted by barahona44 View Post
I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for this to happen,because it won't. This is especially true of sports since few people follow a sport for the enjoyment of the game itself but attatch themselves to a particuliar team.As long as they like the team,they'll put up with the nonsense.
You make a great point but let me offer a diff view

Up until the past couple of weeks, my wife just wanted to watch games... Cowboys, Rangers, and Mavs to be precise. If I ever tried to talk about spousal abuse, sitting down for anthems, criminal behavior, she just didn't care. Just wanted to watch the games w/ o the side stories

She changed her mind two weeks ago, but tonight was the last straw. The zeke Elliott saga (obvious he has a problem) the increasing anthem sit downs had her at the limit. We had plans to go to Red Rock club for a cowboy game watching party tomorrow, but after seeing the mike tirico segment five minutes ago on player and team sit downs / protest, she doesn't want to go. We can see our friends in a different venue, not nfl related.

Iow, the nfl lost a lifetime fan in my wife. We have season tix to UT Arlington basketball, go to a lot of ranger games, so she won't miss it much. The nfl (and other leagues) needs to wake up. They're seeing a lot of life long fans exit.

Last edited by ElKabong; 09-24-2017 at 10:14 PM.
Old 09-24-2017, 10:20 PM   #5
Dahoss9698
Veteran

How dare people have opinions and they express them! Don't they know their role?
Dahoss9698 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-24-2017, 10:26 PM   #6
ReplayRandall
Buckle Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahoss9698 View Post
How dare people have opinions and they express them! Don't they know their role?
Time and a place for everything, no?
ReplayRandall is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-24-2017, 10:29 PM   #7
Dahoss9698
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReplayRandall View Post
Time and a place for everything, no?
Sure....but I don't understand the people getting so upset about it.

I watch sports or movies for enjoyment. I block out the other stuff. It's not that hard to do.
Old 09-24-2017, 10:33 PM   #8
ReplayRandall
Buckle Up

Quote:

I watch sports or movies for enjoyment. I block out the other stuff. It's not that hard to do.
I guess nothing is revered anymore, except a person's right to bitch about another person's right to bitch.....no matter what they bitch about.
Old 09-24-2017, 10:33 PM   #9
ElKabong

In most workplaces, it's considered poor taste to spout your political or religious beliefs to co workers. Where I work it's career suicide to do such.

There are political forums for such conversation. This, being one.

For some reason some folks think because people pay to watch them, the paying customers want to hear their political views. It's becoming obvious that's not the case. This is esp the case with football players. Not the brightest bunch around.
Old 09-24-2017, 10:34 PM   #10
Jess Hawsen Arown

I'm also in. No organized boycotts are necessary. Just people of conscience doing their own little part.

I stopped going to Hollywood movies. I do not watch TV shows that care more about their left wing ideology than entertaining.

My addiction to sports will not allow me to totally boycott their games, but I have already curtailed my time significantly.

It is interesting that Jeff Gural, a billionaire racetrack owner and major Democratic Party contributor, goes overboard to salute the flag that provided his wealth at every racetrack he owns.
Jess Hawsen Arown is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-24-2017, 10:34 PM   #11
ElKabong

Quote:

Most aren't "upset". They've just had enough and turn off the dial. My wife is a prime example
Old 09-24-2017, 10:36 PM   #12
Dahoss9698
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElKabong View Post
Most aren't "upset". They've just had enough and turn off the dial. My wife is a prime example
I don't agree. Lots of upset people about entertainers and athletes giving their opinions.

Look at this board.
Old 09-24-2017, 10:44 PM   #13
ReplayRandall
Buckle Up

Quote:
I don't agree. Lots of upset people about entertainers and athletes giving their opinions.

Look at this board.
Plato said it all:

"No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth".

PS- Is everybody speaking the truth? If not, then who's lying??
Old 09-24-2017, 10:44 PM   #14
ElKabong

Quote:

Look at this board.
I don't "live" on the board. I get out, see people and talk. This board isn't my life. In the real world this is a topic of interest. Very few interactions I've been involved in were emotional, just a conversation of how they're tired of athletes spouting political views. It's like listening to second graders whining about how they can't have the candy bar at the counter. Enough already

Last edited by ElKabong; 09-24-2017 at 10:47 PM.
Old 09-24-2017, 10:46 PM   #15
Jess Hawsen Arown

Quote:

Look at this board.
I can only speak for myself, but it is the forum they choose that upsets me. I saw Warner Wolf saying exactly that on TV, yesterday.

This is America. We all have a right to protest. But NOT in the workplace. How are these guys not fired? Every one of us would be fired for doing what they did in the workplace.

I was particularly offended by the Jacksonville Jaguars who sat for our national anthem, but stood the British anthem -- while they were being paid to play football -- in another country.

Americans disrespecting America in another country is despicable.
Jess Hawsen Arown is offline   Reply With Quote Reply