Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Sports

Old 10-09-2009, 10:21 PM   #1
rrbauer
Both-hands Bettor

Umpiring: Baseball Playoffs

Absolutely the WORST umpiring that I have ever seen. Anywhere. Anytime. Everywhere. Damn near everytime. I mean these guys just keep on ticking and keep on missing. There are so many missed calls starting with the Tigers-Twins play-in game that it is shameful.

Bud Selig should fire the whole damn bunch.

Incompetent doesn't describe the situation. If there was ever a sport that needed "instant replay" to validate the on-field calls, major league baseball is the sport.

Utterly disgusting. And they have a union?

They need a union! Mascot is the blind mouse.
Old 10-09-2009, 10:33 PM   #2
Show Me the Wire
Quintessential guru

You think they were NFL officials
Show Me the Wire is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-09-2009, 11:43 PM   #3
nomadpat

What bothers me even more than them getting the wrong calls is their attitude. It's like you committed a sin if you question them even if wrong. I can't stand their holier than thou attitude. Very disappointing
nomadpat is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-09-2009, 11:46 PM   #4
eastie
Double Secret Probation

disgraceful call on a ball that was 4 inches fair for the twinkies against the yanks...why bother having umps on the foul lines if they miss calls that are right in front of them. not to mention the 2 blown calls at 1st last night that went against the red sox, and some of the strikes called for Lackey...brutal
eastie is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-10-2009, 01:02 AM   #5
Dave Schwartz

Eastie,

I saw that and you are right.

While that umpire was CLOSEST to the play he had no angle. He should have gotten help from the guy up the line.

Great game, though.

Dave
Dave Schwartz is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-10-2009, 01:49 AM   #6
RXB

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadpat
What bothers me even more than them getting the wrong calls is their attitude. It's like you committed a sin if you question them even if wrong. I can't stand their holier than thou attitude. Very disappointing
As a kid, I remember watching the Patriots get robbed in the NFL playoffs against the Raiders when the ref threw an absolutely ridiculous roughing-the-passer flag against Sugar Bear Hamilton. 25 years later, the ref was still insisting he made the correct call. Some guys are like that.

I gotta say, that call tonight was really, really, really, really bad.
RXB is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-10-2009, 02:22 AM   #7
njcurveball

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrbauer
Absolutely the WORST umpiring that I have ever seen. Anywhere. Anytime. Everywhere. Damn near everytime. I mean these guys just keep on ticking and keep on missing. .
I totally agree with you on this one. Baseball is losing lots of young fans and nothing looks dumber than seeing something like Dustin Pedroia sliding to touch first and then seeing the Ump call the runner safe anyway. I felt bad about this and I totally HATE the Red Sox!

There are only a few dozen umpires in the entire Untied States who do these games. There are how many million people? Worst is when you see a ball called a strike and then you have to watch the umpire "dare" the batter to say anything.

It would be the easiest thing to implant a GPS chip in a baseball and use any type of modern tracking device to know EXACTLY where it crossed the plate. With millions invested in this sport, you would think TV would at least muscle them not to look like idiots in front of the whole world!
njcurveball is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-10-2009, 02:35 AM   #8
Dave Schwartz

NJ,

The idea of an implant in a baseball is an old one. And it doesn't take anything as elaborate as a GPS.

As I recall someone (might have been Charlie Finley) tried something like that in the late 60s or early 70s. As I further recall, the issue was that the implant was destroyed as soon as the ball was hit, be it fair or foul.

(Of course, you being a pitcher and all, probably never considered that the ball would actually be hit. <G>)

In fact, I can imagine that the force of a good fastball could destroy whatever electronics were inside.

Truthfully, I actually LIKE the occasional bad call in a baseball game. It adds a human flavor to the game that I would miss. Hollering at the umpire for making a perceived bad call is part of the tradition.

Frankly, it is unfortunate that today's technology shows their mistakes so glaringly. But we are stuck with the technology. (I guess you just cannot get the manure back into the horse.)

The real issue of officiating in baseball has been discussed ad nauseum. Ever since they broke the union, the skill level of the typical major leage umpire has gone downhill. They have no respect - perhaps because they just don't deserve it.

Bill Kunkel, where are you when we need you?

Regards,
Dave Schwartz

PS: Wasn't that a great 9th inning for OUR Yankees Friday night?
Dave Schwartz is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-10-2009, 03:11 AM   #9
CBedo
AllAboutTheROE

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastie
disgraceful call on a ball that was 4 inches fair for the twinkies against the yanks...why bother having umps on the foul lines if they miss calls that are right in front of them. not to mention the 2 blown calls at 1st last night that went against the red sox, and some of the strikes called for Lackey...brutal
Not only did he miss the call, he blocked the view of the 3rd base coach so their was no appeal that could have led to a replay analysis.
Old 10-10-2009, 09:00 AM   #10
rrbauer
Both-hands Bettor

We have the technology to eliminate the need for umpires to call balls/strikes. Doing so would standardize and make consistent the strike zone. Subjecting close plays to "video review" is being done in other sports. For the most part, in those sports, the on-field call proves correct. Be interesting to see how baseball's reviews would hold up. Hell, I remember the days when a "tie" went to the base runners in close plays. Today, the runner has to be clearly safe to be called safe.

IMO the umpires' union is the roadblock along with the owners who are stuck in concrete when it comes to change.
Old 10-10-2009, 09:12 AM   #11
andymays
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrbauer
We have the technology to eliminate the need for umpires to call balls/strikes. Doing so would standardize and make consistent the strike zone. Subjecting close plays to "video review" is being done in other sports. For the most part, in those sports, the on-field call proves correct. Be interesting to see how baseball's reviews would hold up. Hell, I remember the days when a "tie" went to the base runners in close plays. Today, the runner has to be clearly safe to be called safe.

IMO the umpires' union is the roadblock along with the owners who are stuck in concrete when it comes to change.

Amen to that. The inconsistency in the balls/strikes calling is and has been absurd. If you've watched baseball through the years you would swear some of these umpires don't give a s**t about accuracy. They want to assert their power and get creative.

As a person who's bet more than a few games in my life I've always said that handicapping the Umpires is as important as any other factor. I believe and it is my opinion that some of these guys are messing with the overs/unders of the games.
andymays is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-10-2009, 10:53 AM   #12
Canarsie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBedo
Not only did he miss the call, he blocked the view of the 3rd base coach so their was no appeal that could have led to a replay analysis.
The only calls that can be reviewed are home runs that in itself is disgraceful. The technology should be used in playoff games to say the least with the ability to appeal until you lose one.
Canarsie is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-10-2009, 03:35 PM   #13
Marshall Bennett

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastie
Looked more like 8 inches , and yes it was disgraceful . Had this happened to the Yankees that umpire wouldn't have left the park alive . This may well have been the worse call I've ever seen in such a game . May have made a difference in the outcome of the series had the Twins gone home 1 - 1 . They fine ballplayers for stupidity , they should do the same for umpires if they don't already . Then he should be FIRED !!
Marshall Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-10-2009, 06:11 PM   #14
Canarsie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall Bennett
Looked more like 8 inches , and yes it was disgraceful . Had this happened to the Yankees that umpire wouldn't have left the park alive . This may well have been the worse call I've ever seen in such a game . May have made a difference in the outcome of the series had the Twins gone home 1 - 1 . They fine ballplayers for stupidity , they should do the same for umpires if they don't already . Then he should be FIRED !!
It was close to the worst but it doesn't compare to when umpire Don Denkinger incorrectly ruled K.C.'s Jorge Orta safe at first base to lead off the ninth on the 85 World Series.

But this was pretty brutal the sad thing is they are going to do nothing.

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...a%3DN%26um%3D1
Canarsie is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-10-2009, 07:59 PM   #15
bisket

the orioles were robbed big time with that jeter fly out turned into a home run by a little twerp from jerzey. what really got in my crawl was the attitude of the umpire in the interview after the game. baseball at the time was my favorite sport, but that was the beginning of the end for me and that sport. i feel for the twins and their fans, but its business as usual for baseball. which is why they really only have one succesful franchise.
bisket is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: