Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 07-25-2007, 08:07 AM   #1
porchy44

Farthest distance traveled to track (day trip)

Just curious.how far anyone has driven to go to the track(s) in a 24 hour period.

Myself, I have driven 175 miles to thistledowns. Then 100 miles to Mountaineer. Then another 170 miles home. Total miles= 445
porchy44 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-25-2007, 08:34 AM   #2
tholl

I drove from Lexington, KY to Arlington Park and went to Sportsmans Park to watch a standardbred in the evening and then back to Lexington--about 750 miles total.
tholl is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-25-2007, 08:56 AM   #3
BIG49010

I did the reverse trip - Chicago to Keeneland - and then back to Chicago with a stop at BML for the late double of the night card on the 5/8ths track year ago.

Chicago to Fairmont is no bargin also, made an after Hawthorne trip, and back after night card at FP.

I used to make weekend runs to Turfway, from Chicago, in the pre simulcasting days!

Now full card at home and ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ !!!
Old 07-25-2007, 09:36 AM   #4
tomcalta

Quote:
Originally Posted by porchy44
Just curious.how far anyone has driven to go to the track(s) in a 24 hour period.

Myself, I have driven 175 miles to thistledowns. Then 100 miles to Mountaineer. Then another 170 miles home. Total miles= 445
Drove that far to get to these tracks!? Are these the closest ones to you?

I've driven to Belmont from Jersey, but its sometimes taken me 6 hours each way in traffic... does that count for anything?
"The capacity to enjoy: so few people have it. Most citizens live lives of such routine and drudgery and are so concerned abut security that they cannot imagine how delicious uncertainty is. A gambler may have as many periods of frustration as he does exhilaration, but at least he knows he's alive." - Andrew Beyer
tomcalta is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-25-2007, 09:50 AM   #5
ponypro
Veteran

I drove from Omaha to Hot Springs Arkansas (12 HRS) for one race. To Watch Alydar. He got beat a neck by a horse called San Juan Hill. Thats what kind of things crazy fans did before we were blessed by technology.

A couple of other things I used to do pre technolgy. To find out the weather on a particular race day I would call directory assistance in the city of a track and ask for the number of "John Smith" , then I would ask the operator, Hows the weather there today.

To get results: Find the name of a Bar across the street from the track of choice. Call after the race for results. The bartender would yell out to the customers, "Hey who won the sixth race".

To get a Form: I would go with my Dad to get a form on Friday night for Saturday's races. There was a news stand downtown and the last flight in from Chicago had the forms. The cars would be lined up at the news stand for a couple of blocks. Sometimes it was 11 to midnight if the plane was late. Boy my mother was understanding!

These are very crude but real examples of how difficult timely information was to get 35 year ago. We have great tools at our disposal now. Wish pops was alive to see it and I wish this industry could all row in the same direction. It could be even better.
ponypro is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-25-2007, 09:51 AM   #6
ponypro
Veteran

I forgot

I forgot one thing. When I got to Hot Springs at 4am. There were no rooms to be had anywhere. I had to sleep in my car
ponypro is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-25-2007, 10:20 AM   #7
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

I drove Canandaigua, NY to Pimlico and back in one day.
I had Utz Crab chips to keep me awake.
Old 07-25-2007, 10:36 AM   #8
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Started with the day card at Pimlico, drove to Cherry Hill, NJ, for the Garden State night card. Drove to New York, and did Aqueduct the next day, followed by Yonkers at night. Took the next day card off as we were enroute to CharlesTown for the night card.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-25-2007, 10:40 AM   #9
porchy44

Before online and simulcast betting, I imagine several people(including myself) drove alot of miles to tracks. Funny, some of most interesting memories (conversations) I have are those trips to the track.
porchy44 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-25-2007, 11:07 AM   #10
gillenr
Optimist

Several times I made the Saratoga/Green Mountain doubleheader day trip from The Bronx.
gillenr is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-25-2007, 11:55 AM   #11
pic6vic

back in the 70's

Made 6 racetracks in 3 days in 4 different states.

Monmouth (NJ)
Liberty Bell (PA)
Delaware Park (DE)
Dover downs(DE)
Belmont (NY)
Roosevelt raceway (NY)
Old 07-25-2007, 12:31 PM   #12
alysheba88
Veteran

186 miles each way to Saratoga on multiple occasions
alysheba88 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-25-2007, 12:36 PM   #13
depalma13

I've driven from Ocala to Gulfstream and Calder on several day trips. Florida Derby, Summit of Speed, and Sunshine Millions. It takes 4 1/2 hours each way, and is 600 miles roundtrip. We leave at 6:00am and are usually home by midnight.

When you win, the trip home goes by much quicker.
depalma13 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-25-2007, 12:37 PM   #14
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Our "circuit" used to be Finger Lakes - Vernon-Pimlico-Penn-Pimlico-Liberty Bell - Keystone-Penn-home.
Old 07-25-2007, 12:57 PM   #15
Humph

I've done the trip from Newburyport, MA to Belmont Park and back again in one day a couple times. It is best to leave before 8am and you don't get back again until around 11pm, so the trip is a killer, especially if you've lost.

Last edited by Humph; 07-25-2007 at 01:00 PM.
Humph is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: