Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 07-28-2016, 12:32 AM   #1
Lemon Drop Husker
Veteran

7/30 G2 Jim Dandy: Saratoga

The 3YO males take some of the stage this weekend in the Jim Dandy.

While not a lot of horses are set to go to the gate (6), we do have 4 very very interesting horses getting back to the track to likely make a summer run into the fall, and maybe even a run at a Breeder's Cup race.

There may be some better wagering races (actually, little doubt about that), this one interests me a ton in how these horses move forward as contenders in future races.

Creator: This is his first time back to competition after his thrilling win in the Belmont Stakes. An always talented colt really put it together late n the Belmont as Ortiz guided him through some tough spots to get that win home. An obvious closer, he undoubtedly likes that Laoban is in this field. Needs the race more than the win.

Laoban: Still a maiden, and the connections are still taking him down this road of competing against his best peers while settling for well below minor awards. This is a good horse, just doesn't belong at this level at this point in time. OK, maybe he'll now go gate to wire and put a full on Denver omelet in my face.

Mohaymen: This was THE horse to beat until Nyquist put him to task in the Florida Derby in late March. His race in the Kentucky Derby was a pretty solid effort, all the while finishing a distant 4th. Before I cast him aside, lets recognize that he is still 5 for 7 lifetime, with 4 Graded Stakes wins. Problem is, we can all look back now and realize he simply didn't beat much in those races. This is by far the most interesting horse in the race for me, as this race is likely more important for him than any other in the field. I think he really needs to win this race. No questions asked.

Destin: That was a monster race he ran in the Belmont only to get beat by his rival Creator at the wire. Take away the G3 LeComte at Fair Grounds back in January, and this guy hasn't really ever ran a poor race in his lifetime. You can even make a decent excuse for that one as it was a crap ride. He should be on the engine early in here, as usual, and likely won't give the too much respect. I expect a solid race out of this one, but he probably won't be fully cranked.

Governor Malibu: The colt on the rise that probably should have won the Belmont if he could have found an ounce of room on the rail. Getting better each and every time out, if I can actually get him at 4/1 or better, I may actually wager on this race. Dangerous horse that may be getting really really good.

Race Me Home: Most will simply scoff at the record, the class, and the finishes of this one. His ML will be way short of what he goes off at. Personally, I don't mind the entry, and while he looks like a no chancer in a 6 horse field, the other 5 are looking towards bigger and better than the G2 Jim Dandy. Unless he bolts to the lead unexpectedly, I don't see a problem with him in here, and the connections get a good seat for the rest of the races while he runs DFL.

SUMMARY:
This is a WIN bet only type of race, and maybe a cold and strong EX with it? I'm more looking forward to watching these "Power 4" clashing heads more than anything in which we begin some more sorting of this 3YO crop and who can actually run against the older males. I'll stand by this being an incredibly important race for Mohaymen (IMO) as I feel he really needs to show well here while others can get excuses for not winning or showing well.
Lemon Drop Husker is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-28-2016, 01:22 AM   #2
Robert Fischer
clean money

awesome race

I like Mohaymen and I think Destin is solid. I'm against Creator here.

Hoping that the public takes the Belmont result literally, and also somewhat dismisses Mohaymen.
Old 07-28-2016, 02:42 AM   #3
FrankieFigs
The 19th Hole

I'm leaning towards a Destin-Mohaymen box.....
Old 07-29-2016, 08:28 PM   #4
Rico8812

I'm singling Moyhaymen
Rico8812 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-30-2016, 05:54 AM   #5
Robert Fischer
clean money

Should be a fun race to watch.

Creator - Horse is a big talent. You want to play against because of his dream trips and the fact that we need value. Irad will do his best.

Laoban - Big Bluegrass and some trips. TimeformUS does a good job of 'flagging' this potential value. I've honestly never felt he was that great. Jose Ortiz is the perfect match. If he gets an easy pace could prove stubborn. The 'class' of this race depends on things like how good Mohaymen runs, and how 'fast' you really feel the Belmont was. It's not inconceivable to imagine a few things going Laoban's way and being a really big value. I think he's off the board.

Mohaymen - My Derby pick. Thought he was a great price off of the Fla Derby trip. While Creator is a beast, Mohaymen is the 'electric' talent. He's not a real physically impressive horse, and that scares me more than what I see on video or paper. I think he will blow by these horses, and win here.

Destin - His Belmont wasn't as extreme as Laoban's Bluegrass, but it is one of the better efforts on paper vs adversity that any horse in this field has put together. I was not a fan of Destin before the Belmont, but that was a nice effort. (Looking back, I do think that while maybe against the pace, he did have a good 'positional' trip). I think we know who Destin is at this point. No real secrets here. If Mohaymen doesn't steal the show, Destin figures to be in a great position to charge home.

Governor Malibu - Solid horse. Doesn't seem very flashy.

Race Me Home - Romans has this one in top condition after a favorable flow in the Easy Goer and then the sharp drill. Outclassed here and if a stretch runner is able to factor, Creator is far superior.

Last edited by Robert Fischer; 07-30-2016 at 05:59 AM.
Robert Fischer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-30-2016, 07:52 AM   #6
Dahoss9698
Veteran

I'm expecting a huge performance by Moyhamen.
Dahoss9698 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-30-2016, 08:39 AM   #7
burnsy
self medicated

After seeing the race yesterday (The Curlin), seeing how the track is playing at 9 furlongs. The way it usually does when there is dry, hot weather. Speed is really tough under these conditions at this distance at Saratoga. If Destin is 2-1 or more, its a no brainer. Creator may be late and these others are either looking to prove themselves or may need a race. If he breaks first or second, which he should, its probably a done deal. If he comes back fresh from the Belmont effort........tough to catch.

Last edited by burnsy; 07-30-2016 at 08:41 AM.
burnsy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-30-2016, 09:20 AM   #8
reckless
Veteran

Never been a big Mohaymen fan but that is not the point.

In light of his ample fan following and his 'excuses' in his last two starts -- plus the tremendous Spa meeting so far for McLaughlin, of course -- does anyone think that is it possible Mohaymen is the post-time favorite?

What is more likely his odds at post-time: 8-5 favorite or 7-2 2nd or 3rd choice? Thanks.
reckless is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-30-2016, 10:08 AM   #9
depalma113

Destin wins for fun.
depalma113 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-30-2016, 05:12 PM   #10
reckless
Veteran

Well since no cares what price Mohaymen at post time neither do I.

Win bet on Governor Malibu, and exacta box with Destin.
reckless is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-30-2016, 05:21 PM   #11
Robert Fischer
clean money

Quote:
Originally Posted by reckless
Well since no cares what price Mohaymen at post time neither do I.

Win bet on Governor Malibu, and exacta box with Destin.
Not sure about the odds. Tough one to guess.

Either could be favored.

The early 9-10 DD action suggests they should be relatively close in price.

I was hoping that Creator would take money (relative to Destin) having won the Belmont, but It looks like Destin will take a good bit more than Creator.
Old 07-30-2016, 05:35 PM   #12
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Vanderbilt batting practice:

Old 07-30-2016, 06:05 PM   #13
Robert Fischer
clean money

Wow

Andy making Mohaymen a 'dunce cap' horse
Old 07-30-2016, 06:07 PM   #14
Robert Fischer
clean money

------------->
------->
------>

Guessing Mohaymen takes over from Loaban, Destin chasing and maybe Malibu will come up and nip Destin.
Old 07-30-2016, 06:18 PM   #15
Lemon Drop Husker
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Fischer
Wow

Andy making Mohaymen a 'dunce cap' horse
He who wears the crown can giveth to who he sees fit.
Lemon Drop Husker is offline   Reply With Quote Reply