Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Old 11-28-2008, 09:01 PM   #1
Hard2Like

No More Kuck Ratings at Woodside?

Excuse me if this is old news,but my computer has been out of commission so I've been out of the loop for several weeks.I'm shocked ,to put it mildly ,as I feel nekkid at the track w/o these figs,but my real concern is if John is OK.Anybody here in the know?Ran a few searches here and found nothing.Not trying to be nosey,just very surprised by this turn of events.
Hard2Like is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-28-2008, 09:36 PM   #2
BillW
Comfortably Numb

It's only been 2 days since he's been here. Probably off for a thanksgiving trip.
Old 11-28-2008, 11:02 PM   #3
Steve 'StatMan'
Traded By Cubs

I thought I'd check his website, not a customer, but always thought highly of John Del Rico from his postings on the board, wanted to be see what his website says to avoid confusion. Unfortuantely, there is only a one line message when calling up his website 'The Henry Kuck Ratings are no longer available.' Unless someone hacked his website, this doesn't sound good at all, not being able to leave any further words at this point, at least. I do hope he and his are all right.

http://www.woodsideassociates.com/
Steve 'StatMan' is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-28-2008, 11:26 PM   #4
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

John is not offering the figures any longer. I don't want have a lot of details, but I'm putting something similar together so his customers have something to replace them if they are interested. I will send him samples this weekend and he will forward them to his customers.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-29-2008, 01:44 AM   #5
proximity

john sent out an email to subscribers earlier this week. he is no longer producing ratings due to a situation with his family.

as a subscriber, i will say that his was a quality product.

personally i don't know him, but i will pray for the best for him and his family.

and hopefully time will allow him to at least continue to post on the board as his experiences with both the kuck ratings and as a horse owner are always educational.

proximity
proximity is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-29-2008, 05:30 AM   #6
The Judge

Sorry To Hear That

always like him and valued his opinion. Hope everything works out for him.
The Judge is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-29-2008, 08:39 AM   #7
Premier Turf Club
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Judge
always like him and valued his opinion. Hope everything works out for him.
I got to know John personally and professionally through this board over the past two years. He's a great guy that put out a very high quality product. He's got two young kids, and I think after years of the 365 day a year grind of making figures he needs a break.

I honestly don't know how guys like John, CJ, Fotias, Ragozin, Brown, etc do it. I've made figures before and it was tough to keep up doing just one or two circuits...
Premier Turf Club is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-29-2008, 10:15 AM   #8
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Hope all goes well for John...he is one of the good guys.
I used Kuck Ratings for many years, and was very happy when John took over and continued the fine quality. He is a good contributer here, too.
Old 11-29-2008, 10:46 AM   #9
Dave Schwartz

I agree. Most importantly, I hope all is well in his family.

Regards,
Dave Schwartz
Dave Schwartz is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-29-2008, 10:50 AM   #10
Cangamble
Agitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Premier Turf Club
I got to know John personally and professionally through this board over the past two years. He's a great guy that put out a very high quality product. He's got two young kids, and I think after years of the 365 day a year grind of making figures he needs a break.

I honestly don't know how guys like John, CJ, Fotias, Ragozin, Brown, etc do it. I've made figures before and it was tough to keep up doing just one or two circuits...
I make figures for 4 tracks right now, and find it tedious.
Old 11-29-2008, 12:03 PM   #11
john del riccio

Thank You

I appreciate all the kind words, really I do.

Horseplayers are a unique breed of human beings, thats for sure. OCD, ADD, you name it and we have it.....

Being a single parent made this decision a no-brainer. My children need me much more these days as they are now 7 and 10. The time that was required for me to collect the data, work out the ratings, administer the web-site, handicap, wager, consult with owners & bloodstock agents, be a pro-active owner, and be a good parent, was simply overwhelming. Notice the order that I listed those. In reality, it needs to be the other way around. And unfortunately, it cannot be in this business. I can't be the best I can be at both so I need to concentrate on being the best I can be as a parent first. Don't get me wrong, I wasn't shirking my parental responsibilities at all. It has just become increasingly more difficult to maintain a high level of focus on each. Its a good thing I earned that MS-EE back in the day...

I have asked CJ to consider working with my subscribers because I feel very badly about leaving them without accurate pace and speed ratings for their racing endeavors. I remeber how absolutely alone and desperate I felt when Henry died. I had lost the primary tool in my handicapping arsenal.
Thankfully, CJ has been gracious enough to consider doing so.

I am sure I will maintain a relationship with the game (and this board), albeit
at a much much lesser level. Afterall, it is in my blood. Thank you for you thoughts, it proves that horseplayers aren't necessarily what the sterotype
has made us out to be.

John
john del riccio is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-29-2008, 03:55 PM   #12
onefast99

Quote:
Originally Posted by john del riccio
I appreciate all the kind words, really I do.

Horseplayers are a unique breed of human beings, thats for sure. OCD, ADD, you name it and we have it.....

Being a single parent made this decision a no-brainer. My children need me much more these days as they are now 7 and 10. The time that was required for me to collect the data, work out the ratings, administer the web-site, handicap, wager, consult with owners & bloodstock agents, be a pro-active owner, and be a good parent, was simply overwhelming. Notice the order that I listed those. In reality, it needs to be the other way around. And unfortunately, it cannot be in this business. I can't be the best I can be at both so I need to concentrate on being the best I can be as a parent first. Don't get me wrong, I wasn't shirking my parental responsibilities at all. It has just become increasingly more difficult to maintain a high level of focus on each. Its a good thing I earned that MS-EE back in the day...

I have asked CJ to consider working with my subscribers because I feel very badly about leaving them without accurate pace and speed ratings for their racing endeavors. I remeber how absolutely alone and desperate I felt when Henry died. I had lost the primary tool in my handicapping arsenal.
Thankfully, CJ has been gracious enough to consider doing so.

I am sure I will maintain a relationship with the game (and this board), albeit
at a much much lesser level. Afterall, it is in my blood. Thank you for you thoughts, it proves that horseplayers aren't necessarily what the sterotype
has made us out to be.

John
I always enjoy our chats. If you need a good baby sitter at the track my sister watches my kids when we go down to the paddock area! Good luck and hopefully we will all hear from you soon.
onefast99 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-29-2008, 04:51 PM   #13
DeanT

It shows despite all the fancy dancy computers how this game still needs the folks with pencils and papers. It takes a hell of a lot of time.

Good luck John.
DeanT is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-29-2008, 06:14 PM   #14
Hard2Like

Gotta RESPECT a guy like that.From one single dad to another,You are the man.
Hard2Like is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-29-2008, 10:01 PM   #15
matthewsiv

Cool

Sir

My hat is off to you.

It is nice to see a person with his priorities right.

Best of luck to you and your children.

I hope that you get back to the game you love some time soon.
matthewsiv is offline   Reply With Quote Reply