Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Old 04-27-2008, 04:21 PM   #1
kyle2227

Bridge Jumper Special Hollywood 15 MTP 1/5 shot

I'm not sure how much money is on him to show but his win odds are currently 1/5 and I have a feeling he will get a nice chunk of show dough. Just wanted to give you guys the heads up. *Edit* Looks like all big races today. Probably be more "Bridge Jumpers" in the later races also.

Last edited by kyle2227; 04-27-2008 at 04:24 PM.
kyle2227 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-27-2008, 04:37 PM   #2
kyle2227

Took a bad step but still managed to hold on for 3rd o well.
Old 04-27-2008, 04:41 PM   #3
Bill Olmsted

Never bet against short chalk to show.
Bill Olmsted is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-27-2008, 04:51 PM   #4
Sailwolf
Away we go !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle2227
I'm not sure how much money is on him to show but his win odds are currently 1/5 and I have a feeling he will get a nice chunk of show dough. Just wanted to give you guys the heads up. *Edit* Looks like all big races today. Probably be more "Bridge Jumpers" in the later races also.
First three races at Hollywood, no show pool over $17,500
Sailwolf is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-27-2008, 04:54 PM   #5
Overlay

Has anyone ever calculated (or mentioned on the board) the overall $NET betting every other horse to show in a sample of bridge-jumper races (whatever percentage of the show pool you would use to define such a race)? (Undoubtedly negative, I would imagine, but I was just curious.)
Overlay is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-27-2008, 05:00 PM   #6
Bill Olmsted

Show bettors should concentrate on the races at MNR and CT where they pay a minimum of 2.20 to show, as opposed to the traditiional 2.10 that you get everywhre else. That is a huge gift. In other words, theoretically, you could bet 1 million dollars to show in West Va. and be guaranteed a profit of 100k. That to me is incredible.
Old 04-27-2008, 05:01 PM   #7
kyle2227

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailwolf
First three races at Hollywood, no show pool over $17,500
You are wrong my friend the 2 in race 3 had over $20,000 to show on him. I Consider anything over 15,000 to show a bridge jumper. You may not get the $20+ prices to show on horses but you can still get a nice $6 + on horses that figure to be in the money which end up paying more to show then place.
*edit* you may be right the racing channel showed $20 some thousand dollars to show on the 2 but youbet is only showing 17 but still you can get some good prices to show on horses. Look at race one for example. The 6 horse paid $4 to show thats not bad at all for a 2:1 shot that in my mind figured to win the race.

Last edited by kyle2227; 04-27-2008 at 05:06 PM.
Old 04-27-2008, 05:10 PM   #8
ryesteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Olmsted
Show bettors should concentrate on the races at MNR and CT where they pay a minimum of 2.20 to show, as opposed to the traditiional 2.10 that you get everywhre else. That is a huge gift.
Perhaps, but I'm still waiting to see someone demonstrate that this is a viable longterm strategy. The "Bridgejumper Challenge" (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=45734) seems to have fizzled out because a couple people got tagged with early losses, and some people didn't quite grasp the concept.
ryesteve is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-27-2008, 05:34 PM   #9
Bill Olmsted

I'm hoping for a $2.40 show return on KY BREW in the 7th at MNR tonight. Actually, there might be decent value to PLACE. I hesitate to bet it to win due to the MSW to MCL droppers in this race that may just pop a number.
Old 04-28-2008, 10:04 AM   #10
pktruckdriver
Sunny Daytona Beach

Should I google bridgejumper to find out what I need to know about

Bridgejumper, which right now is nothing, but heck today is a new day and a

chance to learn something new, I'm game to learn about it. Any one wish to help

me learn or point me in the right direction. Thanks

I always thought Bridgejumpers were an english thing, guess not.

Patrick
pktruckdriver is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-28-2008, 10:40 AM   #11
cj's dad

War Pass

Ran out of the money last out. Show prices were quite nice.
Old 04-28-2008, 12:03 PM   #12
BombsAway Bob
DimeSupers Really Are!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Olmsted
Show bettors should concentrate on the races at MNR and CT where they pay a minimum of 2.20 to show, as opposed to the traditiional 2.10 that you get everywhre else. That is a huge gift. In other words, theoretically, you could bet 1 million dollars to show in West Va. and be guaranteed a profit of 100k. That to me is incredible.
Don't Forget Suffolk Downs, which opens Saturday.
Live Racing w/ $2.20 Show minimums..
..Like TPiR says; "C'mon down!"
I love bridgejumpers..
Everyone in "The Pool,The Pool"-D.W.
[/url]
BombsAway Bob is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-28-2008, 04:05 PM   #13
DonBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by pktruckdriver
I always thought Bridgejumpers were an english thing, guess not.
Patrick
You're thinking of "show jumping", I bet.

"Bridge jumpers" refers, really, to a situation, rather than the actual bridge jumpers, who may or not be specific people. The situation is when one horse has a WHOLE LOT of money bet on it in the show pool -- say, tens of thousands, where the others have only a few hundred. The bridge jumper is the person who's imagined to have decided that the horse can't possibly finish out of the money, and puts down $20000 or so to make the 5-10% you're guarenteed to profit for any winning bet. The downside is, they might lose. And if they lose, they're gonna have to jump off a bridge...thus the name.

The opportunity for the rest of us is that if the horse does NOT finish ITM, the show payoffs are huge -- tens of dollars. That suggests this strategy, especially in a short field: bet $10 or so on every horse EXCEPT the bridge-jump horse, to show. The worst you can do is only win 2 of the show bets (but be careful that the bridgejump horse isn't a coupled entry first!) So in a 5-horse field, you'd bet the 4 other horses to show, and be guaranteed at least two of your 4 units come back winners (show-ers), with a few percent extra. You lose the other two. But if the bridgejump horse stumbles or something, you win big -- three times, because you get a huge payoff on each of the show-ers.
DonBoy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-28-2008, 04:22 PM   #14
cj's dad

Bridge probably wasn't close enough

Perfect example- 1997 Black Eyed Susan Stakes-

Blushing K D-odds on- 2 minutes to post -$500,000 placed to show- BKD runs out- show payouts are $70+ $80+ $90+
Old 04-28-2008, 10:58 PM   #15
mes5107

Another example, more recent....this year's Tampa Bay Derby

http://www.drf.com/row/charts/08TAMt...erby_chart.pdf
mes5107 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: