Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

View Poll Results: So who do you think will win the Haskell?
Cable Boy 2 2.82%
Imawildandcrazyguy 2 2.82%
Stormello 3 4.23%
Xchanger 2 2.82%
Curlin 28 39.44%
Hard Spun 15 21.13%
Any Given Saturday 18 25.35%
It's a dead heat! 1 1.41%
Voters: 71. This poll is closed

Old 07-31-2007, 03:03 AM   #1
kyle2227

Who will win the Haskell?

Who do you guys think will win the Haskall? My vote is Cable Boy all the way! Hes undefeated and I hope he stays that way. I love him. - on another note rather then start a new thread for this I'll just post it here. Any one see Monmouth this past Saturday? In race two the entries dead heated! Thats something one will probably only see once in a lifetime. Any way. Would love to hear your guys comments on the Haskall. I will be heading down to Monmouth this Sunday to watch live.

Last edited by kyle2227; 07-31-2007 at 03:08 AM.
kyle2227 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-31-2007, 04:03 AM   #2
Imriledup

I think its spelled haskell. (as in, eddie haskell )

Im a huge fan of Any Given Saturday. He's probably going to be my bet. Looking fwd to a great race, have fun at the Jsy Shore Kyle!
Imriledup is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-31-2007, 10:20 AM   #3
tomcalta

I am rooting for Cable Boy too, though, i don't think he has the seasoning to hang with this group. I believe his trainers (yes theres 2) should have given him another start to see how he handles a longer distance. Curlin will prolly win, but i think it will be a good race with AGS, HS and CB pressing the enitre way.

Something to note... this track is quite speed biased which is well-known to those that play MTH. I say watch out for HS taking the lead and holding on just long enough to win... in this case it will be HS then Curlin, Cable Boy, and AGS.

Am i allowed 2 predictions?
"The capacity to enjoy: so few people have it. Most citizens live lives of such routine and drudgery and are so concerned abut security that they cannot imagine how delicious uncertainty is. A gambler may have as many periods of frustration as he does exhilaration, but at least he knows he's alive." - Andrew Beyer
tomcalta is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-31-2007, 11:48 AM   #4
GaryG
Unreconstructed

I'll have to wait for the pps and run the numbers but with HS, CB and Xchanger the pace should be pretty hot. Tomcalta: you think CB will take back early?
Old 07-31-2007, 12:04 PM   #5
tomcalta

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryG
I'll have to wait for the pps and run the numbers but with HS, CB and Xchanger the pace should be pretty hot. Tomcalta: you think CB will take back early?
Yea i think he will be held back early which shouldnt be hard considering Xchanger and HS will be flying. BUT I think it would be wise for him to get to the lead going into the final turn and not faulter, otherwise i think Curlin will get him.

If he can get to the lead by the final turn and open up a bit i betcha Curlin can't catch him. See Lawyer Ron in the Salvatore Mile Gottcha Gold (unraced in any graded stakes) was too far ahead but tiring and LR just couldnt catch him and LR ran like a 107 trying to reel him in.

In CB's last race he rated well and won in hand, just sitting off the pace. I think it would be wise to do the same here... but with this pace, and the speed of this track its hard to tell if Curlin will have a monster close, he'll also have to be pretty close to the pace. I think the winner will need to be leading by the turn for home.
AGS will have a late bid to grab third.

But who knows... I could be completely incorrect.
"The capacity to enjoy: so few people have it. Most citizens live lives of such routine and drudgery and are so concerned abut security that they cannot imagine how delicious uncertainty is. A gambler may have as many periods of frustration as he does exhilaration, but at least he knows he's alive." - Andrew Beyer
Old 07-31-2007, 12:15 PM   #6
kyle2227

This is just some information im posting for any one who does not know much about Cable Boy. Cable Boy, who did not start his career until he won a maiden race here on May 13, set a track record of 1:38.78 in his second start on May 26, and last time out won the June 24 Coronado's Quest Stakes in 1:39.42, the second-fastest time ever recorded here for a mile and 70 yards.

Do you guys think Curlin will go off the favorite? I'm sure he will but I think maybe ill just play some exotics. As much as I want to drop $100 on the nose of Cable Boy im still afraid of Hard Spun and Curlin taking the race. I bet Curlin will be even money favorite.

Last edited by kyle2227; 07-31-2007 at 12:21 PM.
Old 07-31-2007, 12:54 PM   #7
tomcalta

CB will be the third or fourth choice in the field.

Curlin and AGS will be the favs, imo. CB and HS will be behind them.
Old 07-31-2007, 01:10 PM   #8
Horsefan

I didn't think that Stormello was running in this race.
Horsefan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-31-2007, 02:22 PM   #9
Robert Fischer
clean money

Cable Boy will be sent out of the gate as usual. If someone else wants to go very fast early fine, but they aren't going to rate him.

Basically with Cable Boy they want to see if he is a superhorse with this experiment. I think it is probably an impatient move by the connections who should be pointing this one to the mile70yds race on BC day. Hopefully Cable Boy wins the Haskell and we have another top 3yo.
Robert Fischer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-31-2007, 02:42 PM   #10
john del riccio

I'd take 4-1 on AGS.

John
john del riccio is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-31-2007, 03:02 PM   #11
tomcalta

You'd prolly get even longer odd on hard spun... maybe 9-2? 5-1?
Old 07-31-2007, 03:31 PM   #12
Bruddah
Veteran

Talent wise it's Curlin

but, I am having trouble deciding if the connections are going to have him fully cranked or if it's just a nice payday for being in the money. Prepping Curlin for bigger and better things, like the Breeders Cup.

In thinking this through, Curlin has always been well meant, in his races. However, he never has come from off the lay off. I hope some of you have some answers because, I am at an impass.

Last edited by Bruddah; 07-31-2007 at 03:33 PM.
Bruddah is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-31-2007, 03:39 PM   #13
tomcalta

well... he has only lost twice (you can throw out the belmont and derby); broke his maiden at first asking. He'll prolly win. He's already beaten most of the threats in this race.

Last edited by tomcalta; 07-31-2007 at 03:40 PM.
Old 08-01-2007, 01:24 AM   #14
kyle2227

I'm hoping to get at least 3:1 on Cable Boy then maybe I will play him win/place/show across the board bet and then some exotics.
Old 08-01-2007, 03:21 PM   #15
Stevie Belmont

Curlin will go off no higher then 9/5