Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 11-02-2020, 08:00 AM   #1
westernmassbob

Kudos to Churchill Downs stewards

In the last race Sunday November 1st there was a disqualification because of a “ herding “ incident. Jockey Corey Lanerie (#10 Monte Ne)herded Ricardo Santana’s horse(#6 Smart Call) down the stretch. It was a very smart call (pun intended). If anyone is unclear what exactly “herding” looks like check out the replay of the race. It is not very often where a disqualification is rendered because of herding so great job by the stewards.
westernmassbob is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-02-2020, 02:33 PM   #2
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Can we send the video to the stewards at NYRA tracks?

You want to herd, buy some freaking sheep.
Old 11-02-2020, 03:16 PM   #3
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

It is a good call if they consistently make that call. Say what you will about NYRA stewards, but they are very consistent on not DQ-ing for herding.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-02-2020, 03:23 PM   #4
Achilles

Herding

A measure of how difficult a call it is: It took the stewards almost 15 minutes to decide it. There was an objection as well as an inquiry. Richard Migliore called it on the ADR broadcast, but as best as I remember, he was not sure it would change the order of finish, maybe because he also saw what the chart caller called in the upper stretch? From the chart:

....... "MONTE NE dueled for the lead two wide, forged an advantage turning for home as SMART CALL made a bid, battled through the lane with that foe latched onto his hind quarter, drifted out subtly through the final furlong and brushed that foe at the sixteenth pole, then held safely. SMART CALL stalked two wide and between horses from the three path, inched closer turning for home to bid for the lead at the quarter pole outside of MONTE NE,latched on while leaning on that foe's hindquarters through the upper stretch,(emphasis mine.....JK) then got mildly brushed by that foe at the sixteenth pole, and failed to reach him late.......

I think it just shows how difficult it is to police all the shenanigans that can occur in a race, even with all the camera angles, lane lines, slow motion, etc.

-----Being unable to assume an initial premise with any tolerable degree of accuracy, I am loathe to assert a conclusion, fearful lest I should err.
Achilles is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-02-2020, 05:15 PM   #5
Robert Fischer
clean money

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
It is a good call if they consistently make that call. Say what you will about NYRA stewards, but they are very consistent on not DQ-ing for herding.
funny and generally true

heartbreakers Vino Rosso and Imprimis = memorable exceptions
Old 11-02-2020, 05:28 PM   #6
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Fischer View Post
funny and generally true

heartbreakers Vino Rosso and Imprimis = memorable exceptions
I don't think those were really herding as much as fouls.
Old 11-02-2020, 05:34 PM   #7
jay68802

IMO, both were attempts at herding, that ended up in fouls.
jay68802 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-02-2020, 05:38 PM   #8
Robert Fischer
clean money

Good points.
Old 11-02-2020, 06:39 PM   #9
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay68802 View Post
IMO, both were attempts at herding, that ended up in fouls.
Yeah I can buy that, herding gone wrong.
Old 11-02-2020, 08:54 PM   #10
westernmassbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achilles View Post
A measure of how difficult a call it is: It took the stewards almost 15 minutes to decide it. There was an objection as well as an inquiry. Richard Migliore called it on the ADR broadcast, but as best as I remember, he was not sure it would change the order of finish, maybe because he also saw what the chart caller called in the upper stretch? From the chart:

....... "MONTE NE dueled for the lead two wide, forged an advantage turning for home as SMART CALL made a bid, battled through the lane with that foe latched onto his hind quarter, drifted out subtly through the final furlong and brushed that foe at the sixteenth pole, then held safely. SMART CALL stalked two wide and between horses from the three path, inched closer turning for home to bid for the lead at the quarter pole outside of MONTE NE,latched on while leaning on that foe's hindquarters through the upper stretch,(emphasis mine.....JK) then got mildly brushed by that foe at the sixteenth pole, and failed to reach him late.......

I think it just shows how difficult it is to police all the shenanigans that can occur in a race, even with all the camera angles, lane lines, slow motion, etc.
Chart caller needs to watch replay. You have to pay close attention but during the herding the disqualified horse nearly took two paths away from winning horse. It was a slow roll but if you draw a straight line from the time herding started until the finish line it’s just about 2 paths. It’s does not stick out because of the slow progression but clearly there. * I edit this after watching replay one last time 3 paths taken away not 2. Facts .

Last edited by westernmassbob; 11-02-2020 at 08:59 PM. Reason: review of race one more time
westernmassbob is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-03-2020, 01:28 AM   #11
jay68802

Brings up how hard the decision a steward has. And how dangerous herding is. For both the jockeys and the horses. 3 extra inches of herding becomes a foul, or possibly, a injury, or worse. And people are relying on a 110 lb person to control a 1000 lb animal in this situation. All herding is dangerous, to all participants. Allowing it, is asking for disaster.
jay68802 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply