Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 04-22-2020, 07:38 PM   #46
RunForTheRoses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zman179 View Post
You cannot put faith into the city data until they properly update it. I would estimate the last three days of city data are incomplete.
I know he worked in the store room but that's about it. He wasn't the most communicative Dad as far as what he did for a living but he did teach me how to read the Racing Form.
Old 04-22-2020, 07:46 PM   #47
RunForTheRoses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hambletonian View Post
Same here, and I have a daily 4.5 hour roundtrip bus ride commute. No social distancing on the bus, the subway, or the train. Just not possible. And if you want to drive in, there are very few parking garages.

Frankly, even getting back all the commuting hours, I am fricking worn out teleworking. When you work in the office you come and go. Not so much at home. And the operator of my bus line has suspended all operations, and who knows how long it will take to ramp it back up.

I can see some relaxing of the restrictions in June...but I imagine if you commute to NYC and work in an office...working life is not getting back to normal any time soon.
For 13 out of my 18 commuter years I had a 5 hour roundtrip commute on bus, really sucked the life out of me but really had no other option. I wanted to wear a mask then, fools coughing and sneezing and not covering their mouth. Now, about 3.25 train and path.

I know what you mean about telecommuting. I still like it but there is some getting used to. I used to walk a lot in the morning, on lunch and evening, now I usually go straight to the computer and essentially sit there all day. I try to get a walk in the evening but I'm going to try and get more morning walks in.

Last edited by RunForTheRoses; 04-22-2020 at 07:48 PM.
Old 04-22-2020, 07:48 PM   #48
burnsy
self medicated

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post
This is what I have been hearing from everyone I know in New York.

"Reopening" NYC (1) is not going to happen as long as there's still large numbers of new infections or deaths (even if those numbers are declining); and (2) is going to be a slow, arduous process when it does occur because a lot of people are going to be very afraid to take public transportation, walk the streets, or patronize stores.

And I get the feeling this is sort of an abstract issue to a lot of folks who are calling for reopening. To reopen, you need trust. It isn't just a decree from Gov. Cuomo. You need people to actually believe that they can safely go about their business. And when 11,000 people have died in your city, that's not something that is going to come quickly.

Finally, the notion that New Yorkers are going to rise up and revolt against restrictions seems completely off base to me. That may happen in places where there haven't been a lot of deaths, but New Yorkers are HAUNTED by what has happened. It's already more than three 9/11's, and it took New Yorkers years to process 9/11.
Totally agree, and I’m upstate in Saratoga. It’s up here , not as bad as NYC but everyone up here knows someone that almost died or died. And many have ties to the city. The protests here are minimal so far. People are not all out scared but they are following the guidelines for the most part. Even if the track opens, that’s a big “ if” , how many people will show up? I’ll be there I already have my passes. The economic tragedy of this is going to be on the tourist and food service (bar) industry. I think most industries will bounce back. The lingering disaster is going to be travel, leisure and anything involving crowds in close proximity. These states with all the protesters haven’t got the full taste yet. It’s like I said from the start. It’s all fun and games til it hits close to home or the heart. People here are in no hurry to pal around crowds of people. These places opening early and the protesters. I hope I’m
wrong but the ease with which this thing spreads...... they could get a dose of NY reality. Some people still think it’s a joke but where it’s hit hard, most know better. I’d go in July but there are people that I know won’t show up . Older people and sick people are not going to be in a hurry. Half the country has sugar or high blood pressure

Last edited by burnsy; 04-22-2020 at 08:02 PM.
Old 04-22-2020, 08:26 PM   #49
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
This is what I have been hearing from everyone I know in New York.

"Reopening" NYC (1) is not going to happen as long as there's still large numbers of new infections or deaths (even if those numbers are declining); and (2) is going to be a slow, arduous process when it does occur because a lot of people are going to be very afraid to take public transportation, walk the streets, or patronize stores.

And I get the feeling this is sort of an abstract issue to a lot of folks who are calling for reopening. To reopen, you need trust. It isn't just a decree from Gov. Cuomo. You need people to actually believe that they can safely go about their business. And when 11,000 people have died in your city, that's not something that is going to come quickly.

Finally, the notion that New Yorkers are going to rise up and revolt against restrictions seems completely off base to me. That may happen in places where there haven't been a lot of deaths, but New Yorkers are HAUNTED by what has happened. It's already more than three 9/11's, and it took New Yorkers years to process 9/11.
You are 100% correct. Nobody can force anybody to go anywhere (well, they can...but that's neither here nor there)...so what does it matter when they open up?

You act as if people are TOO STUPID to protect or care for themselves.

Again, NOBODY IS FORCED TO LEAVE THEIR HOMES.

Rest assured, the fear has been instilled...and no matter when they open or who says it is OK to resume your life, there will be TONS of people who won't be going anywhere anytime soon.

And that's why we are so much more ****ed than anyone dare says at this moment.
Old 04-22-2020, 10:15 PM   #50
Elkchester Road

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
You are 100% correct. Nobody can force anybody to go anywhere (well, they can...but that's neither here nor there)...so what does it matter when they open up?

You act as if people are TOO STUPID to protect or care for themselves.

Again, NOBODY IS FORCED TO LEAVE THEIR HOMES.

Rest assured, the fear has been instilled...and no matter when they open or who says it is OK to resume your life, there will be TONS of people who won't be going anywhere anytime soon.

And that's why we are so much more ****ed than anyone dare says at this moment.
You speak truth, PA.

I live in a town of about 7,500 outside of Lexington, KY...and a lot of people here are genuinely freaked out. The Government and the Media have done a number on the population of this Country.
Old 04-22-2020, 10:26 PM   #51
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
Close enough - RIDERS UP!
Just great......really LOL
Old 04-22-2020, 10:54 PM   #52
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkchester Road View Post
You speak truth, PA.

I live in a town of about 7,500 outside of Lexington, KY...and a lot of people here are genuinely freaked out. The Government and the Media have done a number on the population of this Country.
One of the problems with this sort of reasoning is WHY would elites, the government, and media want to do this to people? This thing has cost elites a ton of money in the markets, threatens the careers of a lot of government officials, and has seriously harmed the media which now can't sell advertising and is severely limited in creating new content.

If anything, there was every incentive to UNDERPLAY this. The only possible explanation for why "the Government and the Media" would do something like this is that it actually needed to be done.
Old 04-22-2020, 11:03 PM   #53
Elkchester Road

Quote:
One of the problems with this sort of reasoning is WHY would elites, the government, and media want to do this to people? This thing has cost elites a ton of money in the markets, threatens the careers of a lot of government officials, and has seriously harmed the media which now can't sell advertising and is severely limited in creating new content.

If anything, there was every incentive to UNDERPLAY this. The only possible explanation for why "the Government and the Media" would do something like this is that it actually needed to be done.
One word...POWER. We live in a world where people do a lot of bad stuff...just because they can. It is, in my opinion, the worst effect of everything trickling up. This is what the powerful are left to do.
Old 04-22-2020, 11:53 PM   #54
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:

You talk as if we are saying this is some grand conspiracy? lol

Who said that?

The media has ALWAYS utilized FEAR...FEAR sells....media pushes FEAR...politicians push extreme measures to cover their asses based on media and also MEDICALLY induced FEAR...and you get yourself an out-of-control situation that nobody will be able to pull back from anytime soon.

It's an absolute disaster, economically. A shock to the ENTIRE WORLD economy...which has NEVER happened before....ever....

Nobody has any CLUE how this will all play out.
Old 04-23-2020, 12:18 AM   #55
dilanesp

Quote:

Who said that?

The media has ALWAYS utilized FEAR...FEAR sells....media pushes FEAR...politicians push extreme measures to cover their asses based on media and also MEDICALLY induced FEAR...and you get yourself an out-of-control situation that nobody will be able to pull back from anytime soon.

It's an absolute disaster, economically. A shock to the ENTIRE WORLD economy...which has NEVER happened before....ever....

PA, nothing is "selling". It's true that news shows (and ONLY news shows) have had increased ratings, but advertising revenue is ridiculously down because advertising isn't worth it in a shut down economy. Circulation of magazines and newspapers, down. Media companies are unable to film new content due to distancing rules. And the entire big money enterprise that is sports, including all the sports media, such as ESPN and Fox Sports channels around the country, is down.

The corporations that operate the mass media would want to do whatever is necessary to avoid a situation like this. This is just awful for their bottom line.

No theory that is based on the media stoking fear to make money works here.
Old 04-23-2020, 12:23 AM   #56
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Every day I find myself leaning further and further into the crazy camp.

I just cannot believe that the oil market events and this virus happened at the same time.

China is in a trade war with us, that they had been losing it seems. This crazy virus gets out of a lab and starts growing and changing everywhere it goes.

Russia and the Saudi’s push up oil production to levels that will kill the market, yet they are players in the same market.

Just as this virus starts to wind down, I look for a terrorist attack on our soil.

It’s just me.......hanging around consuming extra calories and killing brain cells
Old 04-23-2020, 07:15 AM   #57
clicknow

Quote:
The only protests you might see here are local Saratoga County residents knowing that their region will be flooded by downstaters come the summer. They have already let it be known that, currently, downstaters aren’t welcome due to fears that we will cause a rapid increase in infections.
We don't know what will happen by July; hopefully the numbers will be flat as a doornail by then.

But if you're a county like Saratoga with under 300 covid positives right now, looking at downstate counties with 28k, 25K, 43K, 31K positives, you kinda can't blame them for not wanting to be flooded with tourists from downstate. At the present time I can't really hold it against them for thinking this way, can you? Seems like a pretty normal human response to me.
Old 04-23-2020, 10:07 AM   #58
Zman179
Registered Wacko

Quote:

Who said that?

That is why the media will create fear in order to make ratings and/or drive advertising revenue. The media has an agenda that is not in any of our best interests, yet we need them in order to police certain aspects of society.
Old 04-23-2020, 10:08 AM   #59
Zman179
Registered Wacko

Quote:
Originally Posted by clicknow View Post
We don't know what will happen by July; hopefully the numbers will be flat as a doornail by then.

But if you're a county like Saratoga with under 300 covid positives right now, looking at downstate counties with 28k, 25K, 43K, 31K positives, you kinda can't blame them for not wanting to be flooded with tourists from downstate. At the present time I can't really hold it against them for thinking this way, can you? Seems like a pretty normal human response to me.
I cannot blame them not one bit; I cannot lie when I say that I would probably have the same stance.
Old 04-23-2020, 06:55 PM   #60
AndyC

Quote:
I cannot blame them not one bit; I cannot lie when I say that I would probably have the same stance.
In Cuomo's press conference today he said that testing showed that 21.2% of people in NYC had been infected and upstate the percentage was 3.6. Give it another 3-4 weeks and NYC may be the safest place in the US for avoiding the coronavirus.

During the President's press conference there was results presented showing that the virus does not last long outdoors and in the sunlight. And also that higher humidity and temperature were good for diminishing the virus.

Does anybody know of a place I could go and be outside, get plenty of sunshine, and where it probably will be hot and humid?

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: