Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > **TRIPLE CROWN TRAIL**

View Poll Results: Do you think Maximum Security should have been disqualified in the derby?
Yes 179 48.91%
No 187 51.09%
Voters: 366. This poll is closed

Old 05-05-2019, 10:13 AM   #16
king kong

Watch herding in N.Y. non calls all the time!
king kong is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-05-2019, 10:14 AM   #17
parlay

no brainer

The jock said the horse shied from the sound of the crowd. Unfortunately for him he impeded horses because of their proximity to him. This was not floating, 3 horses were impeded, the 1 had a legitimate chance to win. Gaf said he thought he was going to win, he may have been wrong but we will never know, and no one can know. This was not bumping due to large field size, this was not race riding, this was a very unfortunate case of a horse not maintaining a reasonable path, almost bolting, and forcing hard checking of other entrants. Tough call, but the right one. Yes, it looked like he had plenty left and very well might have prevailed but that is not a consideration in this type of foul. If he had brushed a horse that was quitting, you can argue that he did not change the result. This was clearly a foul that affected the outcome of all "in the money positions".
parlay is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-05-2019, 10:19 AM   #18
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
Originally Posted by king kong View Post
Herding and grabbing. NY stewards are fools.
Or they bet.
Old 05-05-2019, 10:45 AM   #19
clicknow

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnsy View Post
And there’s bumping almost every year.
This was more than bumping. Watch the video again to see the hard kicks that WoW sustained to the point where it was a miracle that he was left standing.

Why are you making light of that by calling it "bumping"? We all know what bumping is. This was beyond that.
clicknow is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-05-2019, 10:46 AM   #20
biggestal99

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMPHAR View Post
IMO, it was the wrong decision. In any sport it is a simple fact written rules can not and will never keep pace with video.

The NFL has let video replay control it’s game. Now the door is open for the derby. Now the sports mob can review in super slow mo question why isn’t this a foul? Why is that a foul and this isn’t? So on and so on.

For something that minor and with that much race left and that margin of victory horrible call.
American horse racing stewards have been using video to determine fouls since I first went to the races in 1975. Well before other sports used it.

And it wasn’t a minor foul, MS veered out and took WOW path away. A major foul and dangerous. What if WOW had clipped MS heels and went down. It would have been a calamity.

Allan
biggestal99 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-05-2019, 11:13 AM   #21
BlueChip@DRF
Random Numbers Generator

Location: In the grandstand looking under the seats for tickets or food
Quote:
Originally Posted by king kong View Post
Last year's Belmont Stakes is a prime example.
Old 05-05-2019, 11:33 AM   #22
Niko

Maybe someone can answer this for me - if a horse bolts or drifts out due to crowd noise, jumping a puddle or shadow (something beyond the jocks control) is that an automatic DQ if it puts another horse in harm's way (which it did) or significantly impedes another horse or is that part of racing?

If it's a DQ either way, I believe they made the right call. If it's not because the action is outside of the jockey's control that this was a terrible ruling (in my opinion - it didn't affect my wagering).

Either way, let's get some semblance of consistency.

If the Stewards don't deliver an in-depth overview of the decision according to the rule book for the DQ, (other than a safe press release), it's a shame for such a big public race.
Niko is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-05-2019, 11:47 AM   #23
FantasticDan
gelding

Quote:
Originally Posted by clicknow View Post
This was more than bumping. Watch the video again to see the hard kicks that WoW sustained to the point where it was a miracle that he was left standing.

FantasticDan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-05-2019, 11:49 AM   #24
GaryG
Unreconstructed

In 1933 there was this. Herb Fisher on Head Play and Don Meade on Brokers Tip. There was no camera, just four stewards with binoculars. Three of the four said Head Play won, but they were overruled by the chief steward. Fisher felt that the fact that Brokers Tip was owned by the renowned E R Bradley had something to do with it.

Old 05-05-2019, 11:58 AM   #25
john del riccio

DQ

I haven't watched many races this year, but always tune in for the Derby. As soon as they turned for home and I saw Maximum Security veer out, I uttered out loud "If he wins, he's coming down". Its unfortunate in a race of this magnitude but he clearly didn't keep a straight path.

If MS comes back and wins the next two legs of the triple crown, we will have a situation for sure.

Good Luck,
john
john del riccio is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-05-2019, 12:01 PM   #26
BlueChip@DRF
Random Numbers Generator

Location: In the grandstand looking under the seats for tickets or food
Quote:
Originally Posted by john del riccio View Post
I haven't watched many races this year, but always tune in for the Derby. As soon as they turned for home and I saw Maximum Security veer out, I uttered out loud "If he wins, he's coming down". Its unfortunate in a race of this magnitude but he clearly didn't keep a straight path.

If MS comes back and wins the next two legs of the triple crown, we will have a situation for sure.

Good Luck,
john
What, and risk getting DQ'd again?
Old 05-05-2019, 12:03 PM   #27
FantasticDan
gelding

Quote:
Max Sec doesn't appear to be going to Preakness. From DRF:

Quote:
“Right now, I don’t think we would consider running him in the Preakness,” Gary West, who owns Maximum Security with his wife, Mary, said Sunday. “He ran really, really hard yesterday, and not having a Triple Crown in play. it probably doesn’t make any sense to push the horse when you don’t have to do it.”
FantasticDan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-05-2019, 12:13 PM   #28
GaryG
Unreconstructed

Quote:
There was a similar situation in 1968. Derby Winner Dancers Image had bute in his system in the post race. Forward Pass, who was declared the winner two days later, won the Preakness setting up a possible tainted TC. Stage Door Johnny took care of that. Dancers Image never raced again after the Preakness and Bute was legal in Kentucky in 1974.
Old 05-05-2019, 12:18 PM   #29
clocker7
Veteran

I thought that it was very cool that NBC went overtime, caused the delay in the hockey game, and that the televised steward decision-making was being shown on the center ice scoreboard.
clocker7 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-05-2019, 12:20 PM   #30
jimmyb

Count President Trump among the no's.

https://www.newser.com/story/274763/...mpaign=rss_top
jimmyb is offline   Reply With Quote Reply