Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > Handicapping Library

Old 09-02-2009, 11:54 AM   #1
gm10

Betting Thoroughbreds for the 21st Century

Has anyone read this? The original version is still my favourite book on horse racing ever.
gm10 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-02-2009, 12:40 PM   #2
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Just got it and am skimming through it right now. Lots of new stuff, some of the old stuff. Good read, updated to today's game. The pace/speed chapters are interesting in how he handles it, especially poly.

Good revision, IMHO.
All three versions are among my favorites.
The little green one - first one - was eye-opening a the time!
Old 09-02-2009, 02:01 PM   #3
46zilzal
velocitician

I sill get a kick out of those who do not KNOW how Sartin works conitnue to knock as he does REPEATEDLY
Old 09-02-2009, 02:21 PM   #4
Steven Kolb

Ditto to what Tom says.
It's standard Steve Davidowitz - which is good.
I went through it. There are some thought provoking chapters.
Also, there is an appendix that has some information I haven't
seen in a long time.

sk
Steven Kolb is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-02-2009, 03:43 PM   #5
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46zilzal
I sill get a kick out of those who do not KNOW how Sartin works conitnue to knock as he does REPEATEDLY
Where did you get that in the book? He spoke positively of the Doc and Brohamer.
Old 09-02-2009, 03:57 PM   #6
46zilzal
velocitician

We are talking Davidowitz and he has an entire chapter called PSEUDOSCIENCE where he tries to discredit the entire process.
Old 09-02-2009, 04:07 PM   #7
gm10

Wink

thx for the replies
sounds like i'm going to have to shell out
gm10 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-03-2009, 06:44 AM   #8
llegend39
Veteran

Davidowitz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom
Where did you get that in the book? He spoke positively of the Doc and Brohamer.
I found it on overstock for pre order also at Amazon for delivery now at a higher cost;
http://www.overstock.com/Books-Movie...rchtype=Header
llegend39 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-03-2009, 07:35 AM   #9
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46zilzal
We are talking Davidowitz and he has an entire chapter called PSEUDOSCIENCE where he tries to discredit the entire process.
??? What chapter is that?
Old 09-03-2009, 11:51 AM   #10
saevena

Another infomercial for the Racing Form: You must get Formulator, Simulcast weekly, etc., and do a thousand other things (according to him and other authors) to do the job right. If one followed his and their recommendations, you would not have time to sleep, let alone go to the track. Errors of fact: He claims that in the past perfomances for a 1 and one-quarter mile race, the past performances do not include the call for the first quarter mile; you must have the charts to get this info. (wrong). The top Beyer wins approximately 30% of the races (wrong, unless 25% is approximately 30%; top Daily Racing Form speed rating plus track variant wins about 21 or 22% of the time). Another opinionated hodgepodge of information with perhaps a few nuggets of value for those who accept his ideas.
saevena is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-03-2009, 11:55 AM   #11
jonnielu
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by saevena
Another infomercial for the Racing Form: You must get Formulator, Simulcast weekly, etc., and do a thousand other things (according to him and other authors) to do the job right. If one followed his and their recommendations, you would not have time to sleep, let alone go to the track. Errors of fact: He claims that in the past perfomances for a 1 and one-quarter mile race, the past performances do not include the call for the first quarter mile; you must have the charts to get this info. (wrong). The top Beyer wins approximately 30% of the races (wrong, unless 25% is approximately 30%; top Daily Racing Form speed rating plus track variant wins about 21 or 22% of the time). Another opinionated hodgepodge of information with perhaps a few nuggets of value for those who accept his ideas.
The highest value would be if you were slam out of toilet paper.

jdl
jonnielu is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-03-2009, 12:37 PM   #12
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
Errors of fact: He claims that in the past perfomances for a 1 and one-quarter mile race, the past performances do not include the call for the first quarter mile; you must have the charts to get this info. (wrong).
I read that page last night- clearly, the first call was not in the the PPs and they were in the chart.

Why would he NOT talk about the the new tools available to the handicaper? Formulator and Charts weekly are good tools and used by many - to ignore them would be irresponsible.
Old 09-03-2009, 12:44 PM   #13
Tom Barrister
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom
??? What chapter is that?
I haven't read the latest book, and it's possible that this chapter is not in it. I do remember a chapter named "Pace as Science and Pseudoscience", in the second edition of "Betting Thoroughbreds", which was published around 1997.

Davidowitz isn't a big fan of number crunching. His take is (or at least is in the 1997 book) that the whole Sartin ongoing-evolution is a Pseudoscience, and I get the impression that he believes/believed that the various fancy attempts to dissect and quantify the laws of physics into different programs and ratings is/was a cult-like thing (thus "pseudoscience") that has/had its followers, but which couldn't be translated into anything that was usable by the masses.

Before the RDSS crew gets on my case about this, I'm simply giving my impression of what I read. I'm offering what I believe are/were Davidowitz's views from the 1997 book, and said views don't necessarly agree with mine.
Tom Barrister is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-03-2009, 07:48 PM   #14
Space Monkey
Veteran

I preordered the book on Amazon for $16, free shipping. I hoped to be the first to review it here. LOL. Its still sitting on my desk, untouched. No time
Space Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-04-2009, 06:32 AM   #15
llegend39
Veteran

davidowitz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Monkey
I preordered the book on Amazon for $16, free shipping. I hoped to be the first to review it here. LOL. Its still sitting on my desk, untouched. No time
I just read if you are a first time buyer on overstock.com there is free shipping on the first order-making the total price$ 14.67.
llegend39 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply