Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Sports

Old 03-17-2024, 08:26 AM   #76
rastajenk
Just Deplorable

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfin66 View Post
See post #51. They got what he was worth in today’s market. He is just another in a long line of Ohio State quarterbacks who are nfl busts. CJ Stroud may be the exception.
By the end of Meyer's tenure and into Day's, I got really tired of this run of same ol' option style qb's: Braxton Miller, Cardale Jones (for a few games), the 10-year plan of JT Barrett, and one-year wonders Dwayne Haskins and Justin Fields. Stroud is obviously different, and McCord last year was just not good enough for that kind of program.

I have to wonder how some recent football history might have been different if Burrow had been given a decent chance.
rastajenk is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-17-2024, 11:26 AM   #77
headhawg
crusty old guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph View Post
This! Cheap way to upgrade. Brilliant move
As you wrote, time will tell. The Steelers won 10 games last year. This is only a brilliant move if they win more than 10 games or go further in the playoffs.
Old 03-17-2024, 05:42 PM   #78
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by headhawg View Post
As you wrote, time will tell. The Steelers won 10 games last year. This is only a brilliant move if they win more than 10 games or go further in the playoffs.

Since you can't pick it up on highlight films, how does Fields do when he is spied on? I am sure with his running ability that happens a lot. Is he able to find the voids in the defense which usually leaves the short middle open for an easy 7-10 yard pass + any YAC? That was one of the things the D-coordinators got to Kaepernick with. He would leave the pocket prematurely
and roll right, a common occurrence, a tight end would go to the void across the middle sometimes even raising his arm as he was wide open. Kap would not see him and either take a sack or gain a yard or two before being shoved out of bounds.
Inner Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-17-2024, 07:08 PM   #79
headhawg
crusty old guy

I think teams found out that having a "spy" on Fields didn't work well. He was a fantastic runner, no doubt. Fast, elusive, and strong. Running wasn't his problem. As I have mentioned previously, Fields looks to have field vision problems and/or processing the defense problems. He can't pull the trigger quickly enough. Many times he would miss seeing a wide open Kmet in that short middle zone that you mentioned.

Now the talk is that the Steelers will extend Wilson which means that they won't be picking up Fields' 5th year option. They or another team may sign him when he becomes an FA at the end of the 2024 season. So again, the league full of football experts sees JF the same way that I do -- not a starting NFL QB.
Old 03-18-2024, 08:47 PM   #80
ElKabong

Quote:
I think teams found out that having a "spy" on Fields didn't work well. He was a fantastic runner, no doubt. Fast, elusive, and strong. Running wasn't his problem.
Usually the "spy" isn't near the athlete the Qb they're spying on. That has failure written all over it for defense
“We’re in a situation where we have put together, and you guys did it for our administration…President Obama’s administration before this. We have put together, I think, the most extensive and inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics,” -Joe Biden
ElKabong is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-19-2024, 05:46 PM   #81
mostpost

After digesting recent events for several days, I realize it’s time to move on. Justin Fields will not be the Bears Quarterback. Emphasis now needs to be on building the best possible offense around the new quarterback -most likely Caleb Williams.
Thus far, the Bears seem to be doing quite well at that. They signed DeAndre Swift, a top ten running back and a major up grade over what they had. They traded for wide receiver Keenan Allen, who was sixth in receptions and eleventh in yards gained while missing four games. If we pick up Rome Odunze with the ninth pick, we will be awesome.
Old 03-19-2024, 06:09 PM   #82
Inner Dirt

No need to start another thread, anyone have an opinion of Drake Maye of North Carolina? He oddly didn't get much coverage here on broadcast TV even though we are a neighboring state. Listening to the radio running errands today it seems the Commanders are going to draft him or Daniels, that is if the Bears are dumb enough to take Williams.
Old 03-19-2024, 06:12 PM   #83
Inner Dirt

As for Fields if I was an NFL head coach I would definitely give him some snaps as a back up late in games when the defense is tired. The guys flaws probably aren't fixable but he is a hell of an athlete and can throw an accurate ball.
Old 03-19-2024, 06:13 PM   #84
headhawg
crusty old guy

<sigh> They are not going to take a WR at 1.9. They probably will trade out of that pick for more draft capital as they only have four picks as of now. It's Poles' M.O. They might take another WR in later rounds depending on who they like but WR picks are not a strength of Poles -- Velus Jones and Tyler Scott don't scare anyone. After QB an edge rusher is what they need, and more help on the OL like a good center; they have enough guys to throw to.

If Poles likes a QB more than CW then maybe WAS makes a godfather offer for 1.1 that he won't refuse. QBs are going to go in the first three picks. NE may ride it out with Brissett for a year, but he is not going to be a long-term solution for them. They will take Daniels or Maye, whoever is there at #3. And if they don't take a QB you have to question the GM's sanity.
Old 03-19-2024, 06:36 PM   #85
headhawg
crusty old guy

Drake Maye looks the part but I have a feeling he's a guy that looks like Tarzan but plays like Jane. I have the same objection to him as I did with Trubisky -- UNC plays no one. They play in a basketball conference not one with a high level of football. Shouldn't Maye's stats be crazy good? Learn from the recent past. How did Sam Howell do with the Commanders? And Trushitsky can't even stay with one team very long as a backup. If I was a GM I would stay away from UNC quarterbacks, at least in the early rounds.

We all know that the draft is a crapshoot anyway. Brady fell to the 6th round. Purdy was Mr. Irrelevant 2023. Montana was a third round pick. The list of first round busts at QB is a long one. If I'm the Bears GM I would listen very carefully to what WAS may offer to move up one slot. Then take Daniels with the second pick. CW is the safe pick by most accounts. My concern is more about his attitude and the interference from his management team, not his football skills. But none of us are privy to the information that the real NFL guys get.
Old 03-19-2024, 06:52 PM   #86
mostpost

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by mostpost View Post
After digesting recent events for several days, I realize it’s time to move on. Justin Fields will not be the Bears Quarterback. Emphasis now needs to be on building the best possible offense around the new quarterback -most likely Caleb Williams.
Thus far, the Bears seem to be doing quite well at that. They signed DeAndre Swift, a top ten running back and a major up grade over what they had. They traded for wide receiver Keenan Allen, who was sixth in receptions and eleventh in yards gained while missing four games. If we pick up Rome Odunze with the ninth pick, we will be awesome.
Quote:
<sigh> They are not going to take a WR at 1.9. They probably will trade out of that pick for more draft capital as they only have four picks as of now. It's Poles' M.O. They might take another WR in later rounds depending on who they like but WR picks are not a strength of Poles -- Velus Jones and Tyler Scott don't scare anyone. After QB an edge rusher is what they need, and more help on the OL like a good center; they have enough guys to throw to.

If Poles likes a QB more than CW then maybe WAS makes a godfather offer for 1.1 that he won't refuse. QBs are going to go in the first three picks. NE may ride it out with Brissett for a year, but he is not going to be a long-term solution for them. They will take Daniels or Maye, whoever is there at #3. And if they don't take a QB you have to question the GM's sanity.
<sigh> yourself. More than half the mock drafts I looked at have the Bears picking a wide receiver at number nine. Poles doesn’t need to be a genius to know how good Odunze could be. Three good receivers is not just one better than two. It is exponentially better.

The Bears defense was pretty good last season especially in the second half. An edge rusher would help but you can get those in the later rounds. Richard Dent was drafted in the eighth round.
Old 03-19-2024, 07:30 PM   #87
headhawg
crusty old guy

Sure. A top notch edge rusher is easier to find than a WR. Yeah. Uh-huh. Your best example is Richard Dent from 40 years ago? Lay off the weed or whatever else helps you get through your day. Stick to topics you know. Offhand I don't know of any.

Do some research. Go back 10 or 12 drafts. Total up impact edge rushers from the 3rd round and lower and do the same for WRs. That will keep you busy. Get back to me when you have finished.

Bowers might be there at 9 but that would be a wasted pick. They don't need another tight end.

Last edited by headhawg; 03-19-2024 at 07:32 PM.
headhawg is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-19-2024, 09:28 PM   #88
PalaceOfFortLarned

Quote:
Sure. A top notch edge rusher is easier to find than a WR. Yeah. Uh-huh. Your best example is Richard Dent from 40 years ago? Lay off the weed or whatever else helps you get through your day. Stick to topics you know. Offhand I don't know of any.

Do some research. Go back 10 or 12 drafts. Total up impact edge rushers from the 3rd round and lower and do the same for WRs. That will keep you busy. Get back to me when you have finished.

Bowers might be there at 9 but that would be a wasted pick. They don't need another tight end.
Just from this year's Pro Bowl you have Maxx Crosby, Danielle Hunter, and Trey Hendrickson.

WR's you had Puca Nacua and Aman-Ra St. Brown.
PalaceOfFortLarned is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-19-2024, 10:12 PM   #89
headhawg
crusty old guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalaceOfFortLarned View Post
Just from this year's Pro Bowl you have Maxx Crosby, Danielle Hunter, and Trey Hendrickson.

WR's you had Puca Nacua and Aman-Ra St. Brown.
And your point is that it's 3-2 in favor of Cliffy?

Whatevs boyz. No one knows what Poles is going to do, maybe not even Poles himself. I'm done. Play with yourselves.
Old 03-20-2024, 10:56 PM   #90
Inner Dirt

Quote:

I don't think I am alone saying a top notch pass rusher is the second most important person on a team next to QB, he can make the whole defense better. I only looked at last year's top ten sack leaders, 7 of them first round picks, a pair of 3's and one 4.