Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Sports

Old 03-05-2024, 11:00 AM   #46
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by rastajenk View Post
I remember John Ross. The Bengals wasted a high pick on him. They didn't need something like that, and he wasn't very good. One of the Bengals worst first-rounders, and that's sayin' something.

At least the Bengals got the best USC QB to play in the NFL in the Superbowl Era. No other was even close to Carson Palmer, I think the knee injury against the Steelers in that play-off game cost him some ability.
Inner Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-14-2024, 12:25 AM   #47
mostpost

I started this thread by suggesting the Bears trade the number one pick and keep Justin Fields. For the past two weeks local sports radio has been unanimous in their opinion that the Bears would draft Caleb Williams. I. Am still convinced that I am right. More than that, I’m more convinced than ever that the Bears management feels the same way.
Sports media in Chicago jumped on a Ryan Poles quote to convince them selves Justin Fields was going to be traded. “If we go that route, I’m going to try to do right by Justin.” Of course, they emphasize the last part of that whilst-I always wanted to use that word-whilst ignoring the first.

The Steelers were looking for a quarterback. They signed Russell Wilson. The Falcons were looking for a quarterback, they signed Kirk Cousins. The Raiders were looking for a quarterback, they signed freakin Gardner Minshew. Perhaps the Bears were asking too much for Fields. Or, perhaps they weren’t trading him at all.

Now you would think that the Bears would be talking nonstop about drafting a generational quarterback. I haven’t heard a peep.

To me, the ideal scenario would be to trade the number one pick to the Washington Commanderswho are I desperate need of a quarterback and love Caleb Williams. In exchange te the Bears get Washington’s number two pick in the first round, the Commanders #36 and #40 picks in the second round and and early pick next year.

With the Second pick, the Bears should select Marvin Harrison Jr.
in addition to Harrison, there are two outstanding wide receivers and an excellent tight end in this years draft-Malik Nabors, Rome Odunze and Brock Bowers. One of them should be available when
the Bears pick at nine.
Old 03-14-2024, 02:18 AM   #48
Inner Dirt

I am predicting Caleb Williams to be a bust. All are welcome to rub my nose in it if I am wrong. That is my only scouting skill, sniffing out QBs who will fail,
even those who get off to a hot start in the NFL.
Old 03-14-2024, 08:11 AM   #49
rastajenk
Just Deplorable

Mostpost has gone British on us.

Looks like New England will be taking one of these hotshot QB's, too. Or, one or two of them might take a Brady Quinn-like drop to the bottom, or even out of the first round. That's always fun.
rastajenk is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-14-2024, 10:47 AM   #50
headhawg
crusty old guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mostpost View Post
I started this thread by suggesting the Bears trade the number one pick and keep Justin Fields. For the past two weeks local sports radio has been unanimous in their opinion that the Bears would draft Caleb Williams. I. Am still convinced that I am right. More than that, I’m more convinced than ever that the Bears management feels the same way.
Sports media in Chicago jumped on a Ryan Poles quote to convince them selves Justin Fields was going to be traded. “If we go that route, I’m going to try to do right by Justin.” Of course, they emphasize the last part of that whilst-I always wanted to use that word-whilst ignoring the first.

The Steelers were looking for a quarterback. They signed Russell Wilson. The Falcons were looking for a quarterback, they signed Kirk Cousins. The Raiders were looking for a quarterback, they signed freakin Gardner Minshew. Perhaps the Bears were asking too much for Fields. Or, perhaps they weren’t trading him at all.

Now you would think that the Bears would be talking nonstop about drafting a generational quarterback. I haven’t heard a peep.

To me, the ideal scenario would be to trade the number one pick to the Washington Commanderswho are I desperate need of a quarterback and love Caleb Williams. In exchange te the Bears get Washington’s number two pick in the first round, the Commanders #36 and #40 picks in the second round and and early pick next year.

With the Second pick, the Bears should select Marvin Harrison Jr.
in addition to Harrison, there are two outstanding wide receivers and an excellent tight end in this years draft-Malik Nabors, Rome Odunze and Brock Bowers. One of them should be available when
the Bears pick at nine.
The fact that other NFL teams passed on Fields shows what they think about him -- great athlete, terrible QB. And the reason the Bears are not talking about Williams is because Poles never likes to show his cards too early. That's his style. Plus, he's not the greatest GM ever. His FA signings have been pedestrian at best. (It's possible that he's being handcuffed by the cheap McCaskeys.) Maybe Harrison is fantastic, a possible HOFer. No way to know. But you can't take him with the 2nd pick. That's effing crazy. Who's going to get him the ball? One-read Fields?

The Bears NEED a quarterback. The safe pick is Williams; the downside is his "management" team (i.e. his father). If WAS wants to give away their future to get Williams I am fine with it. Daniels looks to be the best after Caleb. He's a little thin so Waldron needs to scheme for him to run less, and Poles needs to get a brain and improve the OLine. The rest of the QBs are a real crapshoot. One of them will probably be a good NFL QB, but which one? And none of the top guys will be there at 1.9.
Old 03-14-2024, 01:40 PM   #51
kingfin66
Bombardier

I agree that Chicago is in need of a QB. They are probably trying to trade him but finding out that the point of reference for his value is Trey Lance. Lance was traded to Dallas for a low draft pick after having been drafted at #3 by San Francisco. He is on the market again, and it is likely that a team will take a chance with him as their QB. Good luck with that!

As for Caleb Williams, I don't fully subscribe to the theory that he has "bust" written all over him, but nor do I think he checks all of the boxes that a GM would want to see in a #1 overall pick. Chicago will not trade the number one overall unless they get a ridiculous offer. Will that offer come? Who knows. My guess is that they will end up drafting Williams. I would also guess that he won't necessarily shine in Chicago. Does any quarterback ever really shine there?
Old 03-14-2024, 07:46 PM   #52
JustRalph
Just another Facist

I think Fields could be great. Playing behind that shitty offense in Chicago would make any QB struggle. He will be blessed if he’s dealt
Old 03-14-2024, 10:16 PM   #53
Inner Dirt

I started watching football at a very young age and the first Bear QB I remember was Bobby Douglass, I would not consider any Bear QB in my watching lifetime above C grade. Supposedly Blanda was decent, but long gone from the Bears and a back up in my time. I don't think we have anyone old enough to have watched Sid Luckman.
Old 03-15-2024, 12:11 AM   #54
proximity

Quote:
Originally Posted by mostpost View Post
With me, it’s as much about upgrading the receiver corps as anything else. Besides DJ Moore, the Bears wide receivers were subpar.
yahoo! says they just traded for keenan Allen.

https://apnews.com/article/bears-cha...3a8d0422c2633e
proximity is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-15-2024, 03:08 PM   #55
mostpost

Quote:
Originally Posted by proximity View Post
yahoo! says they just traded for keenan Allen.

https://apnews.com/article/bears-cha...3a8d0422c2633e
That was an excellent move by the Bears even though Allen will be 32 years old when the season starts. Last season, he was top five in receptions and eleventh in yards despite missing four games. I would think he has two or three really good years left.

However, that doesn’t change my opinion of what the Bears should do in the draft. If a wide receiver corps of Allen and DJ Moore is scary, imagine if you add Marvin Harrison jr. and Rome Odunze. Plus Cole Kmet.
Old 03-15-2024, 06:24 PM   #56
mostpost

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by headhawg View Post
The fact that other NFL teams passed on Fields shows what they think about him -- great athlete, terrible QB.9.
It is beyond ridiculous to call Justin Fields a terrible Quarterback. It’s as if you never watched a game in your life. Despite having only one decent wide receiver and one good Tight end, Fields threw for 2650 yards. And he missed four games. Extrapolating from that, he would have thrown for over 3300 yards had he played all 17 games.

I watched every Bears game last season. I long ago lost count of the dropped passes, bad routes and general lack of effort on the part of some receivers. Add to that a porous offensive line at least at the start of the season, and it’s surprising Fields did as well as he did. Now we add Keenan Allen, DJ Moore is back, we have a chance to get one, maybe two of Marvin Harrison Jr., Malik Nabors, Brock Bowers or Rome Odunze. Off that occurs, Fields will be a 4,000 yard passer.
Old 03-16-2024, 12:21 AM   #57
maddog42

Some time in the next year there will be 4 former OU quarterbacks starting in the NFL.
Old 03-16-2024, 12:29 AM   #58
headhawg
crusty old guy

Dear Cliffy -- you're the one who seems to never watched his games. He has poor field vision and slow processing time. I've already posted that his pocket time is near the longest in the league at 2.8 seconds. It's a fact. Watch the NFL All-22 to see how many open receivers he didn't see. Every effing game. And ok, genius...explain away his fumbles and 4th quarter woes. And then look at his record as an NFL QB. This ain't Kansas..er..Ohio State anymore. Just like the rest of your posts you know nothing and see what you want to see.

The Bears will trade out of 1.9 now with the acquisition of Allen. They don't need another receiver. They have edge and OLine needs. The stopgap FA linemen are mediocre at best, and the line won't be much better than last year. So your wishful thinking of drafting any of those top receivers is in dreamland, just like your politics. Poles may trade out of 1.1, but he's not trading too far down. He knows that his job depends on getting the QB situation right. And it's not with Fields as the starting quarterback.
Old 03-16-2024, 01:09 AM   #59
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by headhawg View Post
Dear Cliffy -- you're the one who seems to never watched his games. He has poor field vision and slow processing time. I've already posted that his pocket time is near the longest in the league at 2.8 seconds. It's a fact. Watch the NFL All-22 to see how many open receivers he didn't see. Every effing game. And ok, genius...explain away his fumbles and 4th quarter woes. And then look at his record as an NFL QB. This ain't Kansas..er..Ohio State anymore. Just like the rest of your posts you know nothing and see what you want to see.

The Bears will trade out of 1.9 now with the acquisition of Allen. They don't need another receiver. They have edge and OLine needs. The stopgap FA linemen are mediocre at best, and the line won't be much better than last year. So your wishful thinking of drafting any of those top receivers is in dreamland, just like your politics. Poles may trade out of 1.1, but he's not trading too far down. He knows that his job depends on getting the QB situation right. And it's not with Fields as the starting quarterback.

I just watched his 2023 highlight film. I think some of that 2.8 seconds could be from his being able to escape the rush, most of the time he scrambled around a lot he did not keep his eyes down field and took off running. Most of the time he is only scanning half the field and not sure how many plays I watched in a 30 min video, a 100? He only threw to a 3rd read 2 or 3 times and those could have been going back to read 1 again, hard to tell. It is usually two reads and run. Definitely agree on the poor field vision and slow processing time. He is very athletic, as for receivers DJ Moore WR, and Cole Kmet TE, looked fine to me.
Old 03-16-2024, 08:18 AM   #60
PalaceOfFortLarned

Bears picking up Keenan Allen makes it crystal clear to me.

I see them trading out of #1 and drafting maybe even 2 of the 3 in Harrison, Nabers, and Odunze at WR.

While Keenan is undoubtedly on the back end of his career, he is a high end veteran to teach the ropes to a newbie or two as the #1 to switch over to #2 rather quickly while they have a dynamic slot guy in DJ Moore.

Bears could immediately flip from being one of the worst WR corps in the league to competing as one of the very best.

They give their 1st round pick in 2021 a legit shot at QB, and see what he really has to deliver. If in year 4 he can't deliver, they have a 1st and 2 2nds in 2025 while not needy drafting a QB in a very weak QB class.

Last edited by PalaceOfFortLarned; 03-16-2024 at 08:21 AM.
PalaceOfFortLarned is offline   Reply With Quote Reply