Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

View Poll Results: How do you feel about gun control laws?
Current laws infringe on our rights and should be weakened 21 17.80%
Current laws are just fine, thanks. We don't need anything more 28 23.73%
Current laws are not satisfactory, there are "common sense" adjustments that should be made 69 58.47%
Voters: 118. This poll is closed

Closed Thread

Old 02-28-2018, 08:17 AM   #361
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhorseplayer View Post
on 2-2718 in north las vegas a woman with a pickax climed over a chain link fence to a school playground and threatend the kids.
We need tougher ax controls!
There are no background checks at Ax Shows.
The NAA is behind this!

That looked like an assault ax to me. Possibly an AXR-15!!!
No one needs an assault ax. No one needs to chop down more than one tree at a time.

We do not want to take away all of your axes, just the assault axes.

We have more axes per capita than any other asphalt jungle in the civilized world.

The Founding Fathers only considered regular axes when they made them legal. They could not possibly foresee the assault axes we have out there today!

Last edited by Tom; 02-28-2018 at 08:20 AM.
Old 02-28-2018, 08:21 AM   #362
davew

We need the gun and ammunition laws that Mexico has, they do not have as many murders.

We need laws prevent another occurrence of the largest school massacre in US history (Bath School massacre).
Old 02-28-2018, 08:24 AM   #363
elysiantraveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcap View Post
Are you saying ritual suicide by disembowelment by the Japanese OUTNUMBER GUN SUICIDES? in the US. Source?
No suicide rate. It's astonishingly high...

The common theory is that family honor and pressure to succeed is leading to the trend.
Old 02-28-2018, 10:32 AM   #364
Clocker

A Rasmussen poll reports that a majority of Americans think that the failure of government is the primary reason for the Florida shooting. One-third blame inadequate gun laws. These results are even stronger among parents of school-age children.

Quote:
The latest Reports national telephone and online survey finds that 54% of American Adults believe the failure of government agencies to respond to numerous warning signs from the prospective killer is more to blame for the mass shooting. Thirty-three percent (33%) attribute the deaths more to a lack of adequate gun control. Eleven percent (11%) opt for something else.

Among Americans who have children of elementary or secondary school age, 61% think the government is more to blame. Just 23% of these adults fault a lack of adequate gun control more.
http://www.rasmussenreports.com/publ...orida_massacre
Old 02-28-2018, 11:21 AM   #365
Inner Dirt

Dick's Sporting Goods had changed their gun sale policies in response to the shooting. I won't patronize them any longer, I suggest others that don't blame the gun for the shooting in Parkland to do the same.
Old 02-28-2018, 11:26 AM   #366
FantasticDan
gelding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner Dirt View Post
Dick's Sporting Goods had changed their gun sale policies in response to the shooting.
Good on you, Dick's!

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/28/b...le-rifles.html

Quote:
One of the nation’s largest sports retailers, Dick’s Sporting Goods, said Wednesday morning it was immediately ending sales of all assault-style rifles in its stores.

The retailer also said that it would no longer sell high-capacity magazines and that it would not sell any gun to anyone under 21 years of age, regardless of local laws.

The announcement, made two weeks after the school shooting in Parkland, Fla., that killed 17 students and staff members, is one of the strongest stances taken by corporate America in the national gun debate. It also carries symbolic weight, coming from a prominent national gun seller.
Old 02-28-2018, 11:46 AM   #367
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Dick's went off the gun buyers list after Sandy Hook. Nobody buys guns from them anymore.

They actually tried changing their outdoor sales department name to get sales back. They started calling it “Field and Stream”

It’s all show for Dick’s
Old 02-28-2018, 11:55 AM   #368
elysiantraveller

Dick's is a company that pulls this stuff for positive PR. They did the exact same thing after Sandy Hook. The AR's were back shortly afterward.

Nobody buys guns from Dicks. This is a well known and admitted fact by them.
Old 02-28-2018, 12:01 PM   #369
elysiantraveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph View Post
Dick's went off the gun buyers list after Sandy Hook. Nobody buys guns from them anymore.

They actually tried changing their outdoor sales department name to get sales back. They started calling it “Field and Stream”

It’s all show for Dick’s
Beat me to it.
Old 02-28-2018, 12:02 PM   #370
FantasticDan
gelding

Quote:
Originally Posted by elysiantraveller View Post
Dick's is a company that pulls this stuff for positive PR. They did the exact same thing after Sandy Hook. The AR's were back shortly afterward.
https://www.vox.com/policy-and-polit...land-gun-sales

Quote:
Following the 2012 shooting at an elementary school in Newtown, Connecticut, that left 20 children and six adults dead, Dick’s suspended the sale of certain kinds of semi-automatic refiles. But the suspension wasn’t permanent and such rifles were later sold at the company’s Field & Stream stores. Asked on Good Morning America Wednesday whether the company would reverse its position again, Dick's CEO Stack said, “Never.”

Dick’s sold a shotgun to the Parkland shooter in 2017 “following all of the rules and laws,” it said in a statement. It was not the gun, or the type of gun, he used in the shooting. “But it came to us that we could have been a part of this story,” Stack told the Times. “We said, ‘We don’t want to be a part of this any longer.’”
Old 02-28-2018, 12:09 PM   #371
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

In a related story, General Motors says it will stop selling cars because children continue to die via automobile, in countless number of ways, every single day around the globe.

A GM spokesman was quoted as saying "We don’t want to be a part of this any longer...enough is enough!"

She went on to explain, "In the car, on the street, hell, sometimes they get backed over by their own parents in their own driveway! We want to end this carnage, right here, right now."

GM has scheduled a press conference later in the day.

Last edited by PaceAdvantage; 02-28-2018 at 12:11 PM.
Old 02-28-2018, 12:31 PM   #372
elysiantraveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by FantasticDan View Post
Isn't that what I said?

Dick's is a yuppie store that has seen revenue shares and stock prices plummet as it continues to take "political action."

Social media is blowing up with this "great" news and 72 hours later... when that's over and even fewer people frequent their stores will the lessons be learned?

It really is all about "feeling" with you guys isn't it?
Old 02-28-2018, 12:33 PM   #373
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph View Post

It’s all show for Dick’s
That is how I feel. I just bought ammo from Dick's and a few other items when I first moved to Virginia. Now I actually buy my ammo from a small convenience store gas station that sells guns and ammo right here in Beaverdam Virginia.

Where I live is an interesting place, a day doesn't go by where I don't hear gunfire. I have seen people walking along main paved roads carrying rifles.
Everybody waves when they pass each other. If anything bad happens around here word travels fast, the people at the small country stores and post offices know all that goes on. Property crimes and break ins around here are a rare occurrence, I think I have heard of one in the general area in the 7 years I have lived here. The homes are well spaced apart which in places close to urban area I lived before would make them targets for break ins.

Why is it so crime free here? Everybody owns a gun or two or more. Unless you are deaf you will realize people are armed, hunting, target shooting, or just dispatching varmints on their property. Anyone who would try to assault, rob or steal from anyone around here would have be real stupid and not have cased the joint before attempting a crime.
Old 02-28-2018, 01:04 PM   #374
Clocker

Quote:

It really is all about "feeling" with you guys isn't it?
Yeah, because they don't know Dick.
Old 02-28-2018, 01:22 PM   #375
FantasticDan
gelding

Quote:
Isn't that what I said?

Dick's is a yuppie store that has seen revenue shares and stock prices plummet as it continues to take "political action."
No, you said Dick's did the same thing after Sandy Hook and that the ARs were back soon after. I just pointed out that the Dick's CEO said that would not happen this time.

Dick's stock price actually went up after the announcement, and gun makers went down..

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/02/28/gunm...fle-sales.html
Closed Thread