Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 03-14-2018, 12:59 AM   #46
Striker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph View Post
Lots of Repubs voting for the Dem?

“The reason I put Lamb’s party ID in quotes is because he’s all but unrecognizable as a Democrat. He’s pro-gun (opposed to a ban on assault weapons), personally pro-life, has nothing nice to say about Nancy Pelosi and nothing bad to say about Donald Trump. For all intents and purposes he’s a moderate Republican, at least until the vote tonight is over. So who cares who wins this race?”

Interesting candidate. Also reading that Trump hated the Repub?
And whoever wins probably only holds the seat until November anyways due to the Penn Supreme Court ruling the House district map was gerrymandered unlawfully. So the winner from tonight might have to run again in a new district in November.
Striker is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-14-2018, 01:05 AM   #47
jocko699
Resurrectionist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Striker View Post
And whoever wins probably only holds the seat until November anyways due to the Penn Supreme Court ruling the House district map was gerrymandered unlawfully. So the winner from tonight might have to run again in a new district in November.
Very good point Striker
Battle is the most magnificent competition in which a human being can indulge. It brings out all that is best; it removes all that is base. All men are afraid in battle. The coward is the one who lets his fear overcome his sense of duty. Duty is the essence of manhood.
jocko699 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-14-2018, 01:19 AM   #48
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by _______ View Post
Part of this is just the normal circadian rhythm of American politics. The party in power loses seats in off year elections. That has been going on our entire lives. This year is no different.

But there is also a consequence to being an unpopular President. Those losses are going to be magnified if most of the electorate dislikes the poster boy for the party in power. Trump’s low ratings are easy to explain to anyone except one of his supporters. I’m done getting in useless arguments here so you’ll just have to take my word that despite how you and many others feel, more of the country dislikes his leadership.

As to why this particular district swung so far in favor of Trump 2 years ago and is less enthusiastic today, I’d say it’s probably the same reason that a lot of people voted for Obama in 2008 and then a Republican in 2010. They wanted a change and then when faced with the concrete consequences of that change, reconsidered.
Why would he be unpopular in this district that voted for him? Those in this election that took place tonight. You keep telling me Trump won this place gangbusters. Trump's been exactly who they voted for...and the country IS doing well.

So why would it be TRUMP who turned these voters? Unless this really isn't a Republican district, but like a lot of "normally Democrat" places, decided to vote for Trump because they felt ignored by Clinton.

Was tonight's election in a staunch Republican district? They've always voted Republican, but all of a sudden tonight, they voted Dem (or close to it)?

Last edited by PaceAdvantage; 03-14-2018 at 01:22 AM.
PaceAdvantage is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-14-2018, 01:20 AM   #49
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by _______ View Post
As to why this particular district swung so far in favor of Trump 2 years ago and is less enthusiastic today, I’d say it’s probably the same reason that a lot of people voted for Obama in 2008 and then a Republican in 2010. They wanted a change and then when faced with the concrete consequences of that change, reconsidered.
Yes, but why want a change? After a year? Is the economy going to shit? Do they have less in their paycheck? Unemployment soaring?

Why would they want a change all of a sudden.

Again, makes no sense.
Old 03-14-2018, 06:45 AM   #50
biggestal99

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
Yes, but why want a change? After a year? Is the economy going to shit? Do they have less in their paycheck? Unemployment soaring?

Again, makes no sense.
1. One year of the trump presidency.

2. Lamb was a strong candidate—pro union

3. Saccone was a weak candidate-anti union

Trump was polling 49% approval rating in the district.

Allan
biggestal99 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-14-2018, 07:52 AM   #51
lamboguy

the loser republican spent $14 million, and more astonishing is that the democrat had to spend $4 million to defeat a guy that didn't belong in the race.

in the end, this guy Lamb is as close a spitting image to Trump as there is. but he might have won, but we all lost. when it takes that kind of money to persuade the voters you know the guys on the inside got something up their sleeves to fleece us out of our cash.
lamboguy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-14-2018, 07:56 AM   #52
lamboguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhorseplayer View Post
speak for yourself not the nation.

most the nation is happy with his firings, and its your opinion of his personality and class however thats not everyones opinion.

President Trump will win in 2020
i agree, but he might run as a democrat, he seems to be having to many problems with the republicans these days.
Old 03-14-2018, 09:49 AM   #53
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggestal99 View Post
1. One year of the trump presidency.

2. Lamb was a strong candidate—pro union

3. Saccone was a weak candidate-anti union

Trump was polling 49% approval rating in the district.

Allan
1) Trump - these people voted for Trump...Trump is Trump...hasn't changed...and the world hasn't ended...USA doing pretty well actually...I still don't get how Trump can be a negative factor in a place that voted for Trump.

2) & 3) OK...that starts to make a little more sense

As for polls, I can't put much stock into them lately...
Old 03-14-2018, 09:58 AM   #54
barahona44

Location: Diez meses en Port St. Lucie, FL; two months in the Dominican Republic
Quote:
Originally Posted by elysiantraveller View Post
The real takeaway of this, regardless of outcome at this point, is the GOP is gonna get trounced in the midterms.
Trounced might be too strong a word.Lamb was a solid candidate and he ran towards the center (pay attention DNC) and and I read an article somewhere (may have been here on PA) that the GOP was quite frustrated with Saccone-he was a blah candidate,and was getting addicted to GOP $$ and organization instead of raising money and organizing on his own. That being said, it is unusual if the party in power DOESN'T lose seats in Congress in the first midterms.People vote for change and if people do not see it right away, they'll go the other way.It may depend on how people in GOP districts feel about Trump.Since he's such a polarizing figure, things will need to be going very,very well for independents and mainline Republicans to vote GOP.Like the man said, good enough is never good enough.

Oh yeah and the DNC needs to treat Bubba and Hillary to a 6 month round-the-world-cruise starting in mid-May.

Fleetwood Mac, Oh Well, Part 1 (1969)
barahona44 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-14-2018, 10:33 AM   #55
davew

Quote:

Again, makes no sense.
Independents that call themselves democrats that say they are pro-gun, pro-life, and anti-Nancy Pelosi, are going to do well in midterms. The question is if elected, how will they vote?

What does this say about the democrat party?
davew is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-14-2018, 11:50 AM   #56
reckless
Veteran

Conor Lamb campaigned as a Veteran, said he was pro-gun, and promised to vote against Nancy Pelosi.

Rick Saccone is a Veteran and said the exact same things Lamb said about being pro-gun and voting against Pelosi.

The lone difference is Lamb is lying about both the gun issue and his no-Pelosi vote, imo.

Lamb simply ran a better Republican race than Saccone did.

That said, in all reality, by November of this year Lamb will become a footnote.

And even if Saccone wins today thanks to the uncounted votes, he's already a footnote.
reckless is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-14-2018, 12:03 PM   #57
JustRalph
Just another Facist

PA

I ran into a solid Trump supporter yesterday that said “never again”

He was offended by the tweets and the constant White House Merry go round.

His entire reasoning was personality based. But he also said we have to go away from partisanship and have a moment of coming together. That’s when I realized he doesn’t understand the current climate.......end of discussion.
Old 03-14-2018, 12:47 PM   #58
elysiantraveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by barahona44 View Post
I feel that's a fair assessment but...

- Trump did invest heavily in this race.

- Its steel country and Tariffs were enacted to protect that industry a week ago. Coincidental timing? Hardly.

- Trump made a campaign stop in favor of the GOP candidate over the weekend.

- Saccone wasn't a "bad" candidate and Lamb was a "good" one but that hardly explains the metrics that needed to be overcome.

- The district ALWAYS goes Republican.

The fact is the Republicans and the President put considerable resources into this campaign to lose another one. Imagine what this outcome might have been without the Tariff announcement and Pittsburgh visit.
elysiantraveller is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-14-2018, 01:52 PM   #59
NJ Stinks

Quote:
Here's a serious question for you guys who might know better than me.

You guys that crow about these areas that voted so heavily for Trump but are now backing away from Republicans.

Why do you think that is?

Is it Trump? He's NOT any DIFFERENT then the guy they voted for...they GOT what they VOTED for, pretty much...wouldn't you say?

So what is it? The country is doing quite well by all metrics since Trump took office.

So what is it? Serious, serious question. I'd love to know.

I'm pretty sure you guys will come up with SOME answer...but I'm guessing deep in your gut, you have not a clue why this would happen.

There is absolutely zero valid reason for it.
How blind or oblivious does one have to be to ask these questions. Of course people are sick of the tweets and lack of class your boy exhibits on a daily basis.

Your last line quoted above is priceless.
Old 03-14-2018, 01:55 PM   #60
lamboguy

when Trump becomes a democrat again you are going to love the tweets like i do.

the man is doing a tremendous job, leave him alone and let him tweet.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: