Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > **TRIPLE CROWN TRAIL**

Old 05-06-2018, 10:16 AM   #1
CincyHorseplayer

Derby Weekend Retrospect.

I didn't believe the curses this year but also didn't bet the winner. The way this race has changed in regards to training and running, you don't need seasoning if everybody else is lightly raced too. Fast enough wins. Plus with so many Northern Dancers in this race and especially Storm Cats. I didn't buy into any of that. It was happenstance IMO.

This has become so tiresome though. It's the unofficial start of summer and the playing season live for me. That's it. The payoffs are everyday turf payoffs in my eyes. The Derby has succumbed to the cancer of favorites most stakes races do. Between this and knowing 3yo and 10 f it's a pretty crappy race to deal with. Listening to Lone F was about as much fun as I got out of this race. He outshined all the other windbags!

But I didn't suffer. The turf was my savior sans the Edgewood that ruined my Friday! I hit both wins and big exactas in the American and Turf Classic and the Turf Sprint to win on Friday. I stopped playing across bets at CD. It's chalk and nonsense IMO and a waste of my money. You have at it,not being a critic! But I feel I do better potshotting at Churchill. And sticking to the lawn I feel I am in my comfort zone. The weekend was a good one because of this! The Derby itself has become a who gives a shit race. I love the buildup and the chase. I do all the pedigrees and read every thread and morsel out there. The race itself is anticlimactic. My 2 cents.

I was fairly grumpy and miserable Friday. Thought I did some excellent work though and had in my mind some brilliantly structured tickets but to no avail. I did myself a big favor Saturday. I decided to get a good night's sleep Friday night and not do 10 am races on Saturday. Plus I had a big lunch and started partying! The work was already done and was potshotting anyway! The derby spirits took over! I had a blast and was winning big on the lawn. Yee Haw! It was tough sledding early on but ended another big weekend successfully! Hope your Derby weekend was a good one and I hope to hear your owns trials, tribulations, and insights.
CincyHorseplayer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-06-2018, 10:35 AM   #2
Blenheim
Race Player

Is Baffert gettin' tired of it all . . . all the winning?

In one of the post race interviews, Baffert said, "I'm glad its over." The irony of it all . . . five time Hall of Famer making such a comment after winning horse racing's most coveted race. I think over time, just like anything else, it kinda wears on ya' . . . even the best of em' after winning and hoisting that revered Kentucky Derby Trophy AND the Triple Crown Trophy.

Blenheim is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-06-2018, 10:40 AM   #3
burnsy
self medicated

I didn't buy into Justify either. My key horse was Audible and Good Magic was my third choice. Justify was just better than i thought he was. I really didn't like Bolt d' Oro at all and i was right about him yesterday. I actually thought the competition out there (West) was weak but the winner is good enough to step to the next level. He looked Good Magic in the eye and denied him. That's class! Baffert seems to get one 3 yo that's a step ahead of the rest and he beat two of the best yesterday when he beat Brown and Pletcher.

I'm like Cincy most of my playing starts in May. I take break over the winter and bet sparingly. I have had success in recent years with the derby but not this year. The chalk winning every year takes some of the luster off of it for me and like the original poster stated.........I also rely on the grass course to get most of my wins. Yesterday was no different, i posted my plays and all the success was on the turf. I run my mouth but i put my picks up there on big days and Saratoga for every one to see and I'm no slouch. More times than not there's good things in there. Especially my grass plays.

Congrats to the winners, maybe he'll do it again......then the buzz of the Triple Crown will be in the air. I'm a believer now and like i said weeks ago......i paid to see it.
burnsy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-06-2018, 10:42 AM   #4
CincyHorseplayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blenheim View Post
In one of the post race interviews, Baffert said, "I'm glad its over." The irony of it all . . . five time Hall of Famer making such a comment after winning horse racing's most coveted race. I think over time, just like anything else, it kinda wears on ya' . . . even the best of em' after winning and hoisting that revered Kentucky Derby Trophy AND the Triple Crown Trophy.
Before Derby week I worked 16 days in a row. Winning is tiresome!
Old 05-06-2018, 10:44 AM   #5
jay68802

Friday was work day. Started early, first thing was to start soaking wood chips in water. Mowed yards, cleaned house and then stared the brisket in the smoker.

Saturday I woke up at 5:00 AM, then 6:00 AM. I was like a little kid waiting for cartoons to start. Excited. It seemed that departure time took 15 hrs to get there. Went through my checklist. Brisket, pizza crust mix, one warm beer, baking stone, $500.00 cash, and the dog. Got to Fonner at 11:00.

First bet of the day, blew, so did the second. Caught a good exacta to get me back to even and then waited for the derby. Liked Justify and the racing gods smiled on me. Win, exatca, tri, cashed all of my bets. Played the late pick 4 at SA, and hit it twice. Went to "Jeff's" house for the party. Beer and Jay's World Famous Grilled BBQ pizza. Best thing about the day was being with my friend's and catching up.

All in all had a great time.
jay68802 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-06-2018, 11:07 AM   #6
minethatbird08

Our Derby party was great, weather was perfect. I had similar results Friday and Saturday doing better on the undercard, Yoshida came in big for me. Ultimately the best Derby bet is to wait till the Preakness but that is no fun. Justify looks like he could be a great one, hope he stays healthy and look forward to seeing what he has in store.
minethatbird08 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-06-2018, 11:09 AM   #7
CincyHorseplayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay68802 View Post
Friday was work day. Started early, first thing was to start soaking wood chips in water. Mowed yards, cleaned house and then stared the brisket in the smoker.

Saturday I woke up at 5:00 AM, then 6:00 AM. I was like a little kid waiting for cartoons to start. Excited. It seemed that departure time took 15 hrs to get there. Went through my checklist. Brisket, pizza crust mix, one warm beer, baking stone, $500.00 cash, and the dog. Got to Fonner at 11:00.

First bet of the day, blew, so did the second. Caught a good exacta to get me back to even and then waited for the derby. Liked Justify and the racing gods smiled on me. Win, exatca, tri, cashed all of my bets. Played the late pick 4 at SA, and hit it twice. Went to "Jeff's" house for the party. Beer and Jay's World Famous Grilled BBQ pizza. Best thing about the day was being with my friend's and catching up.

Hell yeah! I saved the BBQ for today. Just lit a fire about 30 minutes ago. Doing ribs and pork butt though! Love this J. 2 guys that are going about bets in different ways but are living it up and winning at the same time. Life is beautiful sometimes brother!
Old 05-06-2018, 11:16 AM   #8
jay68802

Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyHorseplayer View Post
Hell yeah! I saved the BBQ for today. Just lit a fire about 30 minutes ago. Doing ribs and pork butt though! Love this J. 2 guys that are going about bets in different ways but are living it up and winning at the same time. Life is beautiful sometimes brother!
I will be there for the ribs! Enjoy.
jay68802 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-06-2018, 11:30 AM   #9
CincyHorseplayer

Quote:
I will be there for the ribs! Enjoy.
Will do. Playing horseshoes and keeping that party rolling today. Derby weekend is a holiday over here!
Old 05-06-2018, 11:37 AM   #10
lamboguy

this field had good horses in it. GREAT MAGIC is just as good as JUSTIFY, the trainer not as experienced at winning Ky. Derby's though. i would not be the least surprised if the tables get turned in the Belmont. JUSTIFY will be 1/9 in the PREAKNESS now and have a soft race.
lamboguy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-06-2018, 11:42 AM   #11
CincyHorseplayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by minethatbird08 View Post
Our Derby party was great, weather was perfect. I had similar results Friday and Saturday doing better on the undercard, Yoshida came in big for me. Ultimately the best Derby bet is to wait till the Preakness but that is no fun. Justify looks like he could be a great one, hope he stays healthy and look forward to seeing what he has in store.
Yeah Yoshida started as a big exacta component but I decided to chuck it down to win too! I take off the latter part of the week for the Derby. The real party didn't start til yesterday but it's still goin! Smoker is already fired up and the kegs about to get cracked!
Old 05-06-2018, 11:42 AM   #12
Mulerider

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnsy View Post
I didn't buy into Justify either. My key horse was Audible and Good Magic was my third choice. Justify was just better than i thought he was.
I bought into Justify's speed, but was wary about his poise and maturity when faced with 19 other horses, with or without mud. So much for that. I used Good Magic here in the PA contest, but did use Justify on my cash tickets defensively.

Struck out on my tris. I didn't like Audible and didn't think he'd make a mile and a quarter. So much for that as well. I had Justify, Good Magic and Bolt in all my trifecta tickets...not a single one with Audible, lol.

Overall, a fun day...except the Derby always brings out the once-a-year fans at Louisiana Downs, the ones who stand clueless in front of a terminal when you're trying hard not to get shut out! And for whatever reason, the annual fans were really out in force yesterday. The place needed 20 more terminals.

Last edited by Mulerider; 05-06-2018 at 11:43 AM.
Mulerider is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-06-2018, 10:21 PM   #13
PointGiven

I believed in Justify. I think they knew what they had early but left a big horse alone to grow. In the VISN video the director of the Wynn sports book said he got a call from a horseman out there who wanted action before he even raced.
PointGiven is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-06-2018, 10:31 PM   #14
garyscpa

Quote:

Got a kamado, eh? Me, too. What kind?
garyscpa is offline   Reply With Quote Reply