Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Old 09-14-2017, 12:21 AM   #1
VigorsTheGrey
Veteran

On Bris Race Shapes

http://www.brisnet.com/cgi-bin/stati...raceshapes_lib

I want to start using the Bris Race shape numbers as part of my handicapping and was wondering if any of you are familiar with their nuances...

The other day a horse won that came out of a race that had +15...+17 for the first and second calls so I'm gonna start looking for that more often....maybe also look for mid-teens in the negative categories as well as well...

...These remind me of DRF's race shape symbols system only with numbers...

"The BRIS Race Shapes correspond to the first and second calls of a race. The first BRIS Race Shape value corresponds to the first call (2f call for most sprints; and 4f call for most routes). The second BRIS Race Shape value corresponds to the second call (4f call for most sprints; and 6f call for most routes). This enables the user to quickly identify which segment(s) of the race were fastest and slowest (relative to each call's average pace for the final time)."

What do they mean "average pace" Whose average...? Which race(s)...?

Any comments...?

Last edited by VigorsTheGrey; 09-14-2017 at 12:29 AM.
VigorsTheGrey is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-14-2017, 07:01 PM   #2
therussmeister
Out-of-town Jasper

Quote:
Originally Posted by VigorsTheGrey View Post
http://www.brisnet.com/cgi-bin/stati...raceshapes_lib

I want to start using the Bris Race shape numbers as part of my handicapping and was wondering if any of you are familiar with their nuances...

The other day a horse won that came out of a race that had +15...+17 for the first and second calls so I'm gonna start looking for that more often....maybe also look for mid-teens in the negative categories as well as well...

...These remind me of DRF's race shape symbols system only with numbers...

"The BRIS Race Shapes correspond to the first and second calls of a race. The first BRIS Race Shape value corresponds to the first call (2f call for most sprints; and 4f call for most routes). The second BRIS Race Shape value corresponds to the second call (4f call for most sprints; and 6f call for most routes). This enables the user to quickly identify which segment(s) of the race were fastest and slowest (relative to each call's average pace for the final time)."

What do they mean "average pace" Whose average...? Which race(s)...?

Any comments...?
BRIS's ratings are not class pars but are based on the final time. For example: Suppose a 6 furlong race at GP is run in 1:11.34. BRIS has determined the average 4f split time for all races ruin in 1:11.34 @ GP is 46.41 (just made that up) and then calculates a race shape number based on this race's 4f time.

~Alan Watts
therussmeister is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-14-2017, 09:09 PM   #3
VigorsTheGrey
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by therussmeister View Post
BRIS's ratings are not class pars but are based on the final time. For example: Suppose a 6 furlong race at GP is run in 1:11.34. BRIS has determined the average 4f split time for all races ruin in 1:11.34 @ GP is 46.41 (just made that up) and then calculates a race shape number based on this race's 4f time.
That's kind of what I don't understand...thought they took all races run at 6 furlongs...took all the 1st call times for the leader in each of those races, then averaged those to get the baseline figure...

THEN compare that number to the time of the 1st call leader for the race in question, and then either deducted or added from there, is that how it works...you seem to say something different...

I don't know how it works but would like to understand what I am looking at these days...
Old 09-14-2017, 10:04 PM   #4
therussmeister
Out-of-town Jasper

Quote:
That's kind of what I don't understand...thought they took all races run at 6 furlongs...took all the 1st call times for the leader in each of those races, then averaged those to get the baseline figure...

THEN compare that number to the time of the 1st call leader for the race in question, and then either deducted or added from there, is that how it works...you seem to say something different...

I don't know how it works but would like to understand what I am looking at these days...
I used to make similar figures before I migrated to BRIS. To explain briefly ,because I don't have a lot of time. Through the magic of excel, with surprisingly little data needed, you can come up with two formulas that will give you a theoretical average 2f and 4f split time for any given final time. You compare this to the actual 2f and 4f times of the race to determine race shape.

You do this by making an x y scatter chart with all data for a given distance and asking excel to create a trend line and supply the formula for the trend line, which you can convert to a formula that you can input any final time and it will determine the proper fractional time.

~Alan Watts
therussmeister is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-14-2017, 10:21 PM   #5
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Exactly what I do.
For BRIS, say a final time of 85 SR.
Looking at many race, you find that the average E2 for an 85 is 91.

Say a race went in 81 - 85, so the race shape is Slow 10.
Old 09-15-2017, 10:24 AM   #6
hracingplyr

Race shapes

I might be wrong but i think Pandy wrote a book about using the Bris Race Shapes.

Bob
hracingplyr is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-15-2017, 11:07 AM   #7
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

TimeformUS does it better than BRIS, not even close. Race shape is clear as a bell.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-15-2017, 02:05 PM   #8
Speed Figure
DJ M.Walk

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
TimeformUS does it better than BRIS, not even close. Race shape is clear as a bell.
How?
Speed Figure is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-16-2017, 10:52 AM   #9
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed Figure View Post
How?
The leader's pace figures are shown at each call if you want them. There are no + or - involved. Extreme cases are color coded. The race shape is readily apparent without confusion.
Old 09-16-2017, 11:42 AM   #10
VigorsTheGrey
Veteran

Is there something out there that shows the horses' figure for each call instead of the leaders'...no matter what position he is in..?
Old 09-16-2017, 11:49 AM   #11
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Is there something out there that shows the horses' figure for each call instead of the leaders'...no matter what position he is in..?
That option is available in TimeformUS.
Old 09-16-2017, 12:14 PM   #12
Mulerider

Quote:
With the Bris Custom PP Generator you have the option of displaying the leader's fractional times or the individual horse's. I don't know if that affects the fractional ratings.

Mule
Mulerider is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-16-2017, 12:18 PM   #13
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

All the ratings - E1, E2 LP, SP are for the HORSE in the printed PPs.
As Mulerider points out, you have options in the PP Generator.
I have a custom style I use that uses pace of leader four ratings in place of the times, and leave the horse numbers where they are.
Old 09-16-2017, 12:18 PM   #14
VigorsTheGrey
Veteran

How is the par value that both are adjusted against arrived at in TimeformUS...?
Old 09-16-2017, 12:27 PM   #15
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
How is the par value that both are adjusted against arrived at in TimeformUS...?
I don't use class pars, I use baselines. They are based on the optimal percentage the winner runs for each fraction at each distance / surface combination at each track.

Code:
    6.0     22.00     44.33       68.34
    6.5     21.81     44.12       74.45
    7.0     22.62     44.84       80.98
That is a snippet from Saratoga on dirt. As an example, the optimal percentage to run the opening quarter at 6f is 22.00 / 68.34 = 0.3219. So, if a race were run with a final time of 1:11.00 (71 seconds), the optimal first quarter would be 71 x 0.3219 = 22.86.

That is the simplified version. Pace variants come into play as well but that is another story.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: