Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 01-18-2021, 10:24 PM   #1
PA.race.fan

Oaklawn seating reservations

How hard is it to get tickets or make reservation to see races? I think the process just started today.
PA.race.fan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-19-2021, 12:40 AM   #2
woodbinepmi

You may have to get racing badge this year to get on track.
Old 01-19-2021, 06:53 PM   #3
BarchCapper

There is live attendance, but it's limited. Box seat holders and Oaklawn Jockey Club members are in, but have to reserve weekly.

The general public is also allowed in by making reservations for one of the restaurants, or the simulcast area.

Reservations for those are made on a weekly basis with the phone lines opening up on Monday at 9 AM Central for the racing week concluding that following Sunday.

So they opened the phone lines on Monday morning the 18th for Fri-Sun 22nd-24th. And were booked pretty much by noon from what I understand.

Next opening will come Monday, January 25th for Fri-Sun the 29th-31st.
Restaurant reservations may be made by calling 501-363-4710.
Simulcast reservations may be made by calling 501-363-4320.

Starting in February, they go to a 4 day week Thu-Sun.(+ a special Mon Feb 15th Presidents' Day card).

It's all by phone - they don't have online reservations.
BarchCapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-19-2021, 10:15 PM   #4
PA.race.fan

Can you see the races live from the restaurants? Or will you be watching them on a tv in the restaurant?
Old 01-20-2021, 03:02 PM   #5
BarchCapper

Depends on the location of the restaurant whether you have a track view or not. But from what I understand, once you are "in" - as long as you are wearing your mask and keeping distance guidelines you can go out to watch the races.
Old 01-20-2021, 04:11 PM   #6
PA.race.fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarchCapper View Post
Depends on the location of the restaurant whether you have a track view or not. But from what I understand, once you are "in" - as long as you are wearing your mask and keeping distance guidelines you can go out to watch the races.
Appreciate the info!
Old 02-14-2021, 06:43 PM   #7
PA.race.fan

Oaklawn

How’s the atmosphere at the track with new rules in place?
Old 02-14-2021, 09:46 PM   #8
BarchCapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA.race.fan View Post
How’s the atmosphere at the track with new rules in place?
QUIET!!!!!! - It is a weird feeling. Being in the simulcast area (big room with all the TVs) is like being there during offseason. The difference is you can walk over to the paddock and see the horses saddled for live racing, and go out on the apron to watch the races.

Miss seeing a lot of the familiar staff that I got to know especially last year pre-pandemic as I walked my 5-7 miles on the 3 floors of the grandstand prior to first post. Now I'm just walking the main floor, with so many fewer staff/fans to encounter.

But in a lot of respects, it still feels as busy as a lot of tracks I've been to pre-pandemic!!!
Old 02-15-2021, 07:12 AM   #9
PA.race.fan

Seating

I plan to attend Arkansas Derby week. What are the chances of getting a reservation in restaurant so we can watch the races? Do you think they will open up more seating outside?
Old 02-15-2021, 12:45 PM   #10
BarchCapper

Quote:
I plan to attend Arkansas Derby week. What are the chances of getting a reservation in restaurant so we can watch the races? Do you think they will open up more seating outside?
There's no reserved "seating" outside, but they do have hope of opening the infield more frequently this season (although that seems SOOO far away with the 7 inches we've got on the ground right now).

Right now it's all about getting in on the reservations line Monday morning of the week you want to go as far as restaurant reservations/simulcast reservations go.

I skipped week 1.

Week 2 it took 119 redials to get Friday restaurant, Saturday simulcast.

Week 3 it was 190 redials, was only able to get Thursday simulcast.

Week 4 (this past week) I got in on the first dial and was able to get everything I wanted - Saturday restaurant for 3, and Thursday, Friday and Monday simulcast. Thursday was fine, and I was already there on Friday when they cancelled right in the middle of Vic and Nancy's pre-race show. And my 12 year old nephew (in town from Indiana) didn't get to go to the races for his very first time Saturday (or get to watch training).

Reservation line closed today due to the weather - so I'll be calling tomorrow for Sat/Sun (if they run). We go above freezing finally on Friday, supposedly.
Old 02-15-2021, 01:23 PM   #11
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Been trying to decide on usual Rebel trip or diverting this year to Tampa for their Derby. Sounds like Tampa is the way to go.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-15-2021, 01:45 PM   #12
BarchCapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
Been trying to decide on usual Rebel trip or diverting this year to Tampa for their Derby. Sounds like Tampa is the way to go.
Hope you can make it down for a less significant day or two before the season ends May 1st!
Old 02-15-2021, 01:49 PM   #13
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Hope you can make it down for a less significant day or two before the season ends May 1st!
As soon as they allow fans without having to dial 100+ times, I'm there!
Old 02-15-2021, 03:19 PM   #14
PA.race.fan

Quote:
There's no reserved "seating" outside, but they do have hope of opening the infield more frequently this season (although that seems SOOO far away with the 7 inches we've got on the ground right now).

Right now it's all about getting in on the reservations line Monday morning of the week you want to go as far as restaurant reservations/simulcast reservations go.

I skipped week 1.

Week 2 it took 119 redials to get Friday restaurant, Saturday simulcast.

Week 3 it was 190 redials, was only able to get Thursday simulcast.

Week 4 (this past week) I got in on the first dial and was able to get everything I wanted - Saturday restaurant for 3, and Thursday, Friday and Monday simulcast. Thursday was fine, and I was already there on Friday when they cancelled right in the middle of Vic and Nancy's pre-race show. And my 12 year old nephew (in town from Indiana) didn't get to go to the races for his very first time Saturday (or get to watch training).

Reservation line closed today due to the weather - so I'll be calling tomorrow for Sat/Sun (if they run). We go above freezing finally on Friday, supposedly.
Thanks for the great info!

I was able to make reservation online (open table app) for the Bugler for Thursday and Friday of Ark Derby week. Is it a good place to watch the races from? If my reservation is for 2pm, what time would I be allowed to enter the track?

I was able to book Airbnb for the week, super excited!
Old 02-15-2021, 03:37 PM   #15
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Thanks for the great info!

I was able to make reservation online (open table app) for the Bugler for Thursday and Friday of Ark Derby week. Is it a good place to watch the races from? If my reservation is for 2pm, what time would I be allowed to enter the track?

I was able to book Airbnb for the week, super excited!
I was going to make some for Sunday at the same place, but I'm a little wary. Am I stuck in the restaurant? Can I stay the whole racing day, or is there a time limit? Maybe Barchy can help.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: