Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Sports

Old 01-26-2021, 11:01 AM   #1
Teach

The Chiefs: “Too Many Weapons”

I believe the Kansas City Chiefs will win Super Bowl LV. They have, to put it succinctly, “too many weapons.”

The last I saw the Chiefs were -3; the over/under was 56.5.
Let me assert my firm belief that the game will go “over.”
The long-range, 10-days-out-weather-forecast calls for high temps at Tampa’s “Ray-Jay,” Raymond James Stadium, on Sunday, February 7 to be in the mid 70’s (possibly lower by game-time: 6:30 p.m.). Nonetheless, there will be a fast track.

In their regular-season meeting in Week 12, the Chiefs won: 27-24. The score was not indicative of the one-sidedness of the game. The Chiefs jumped out to a 17-0 first-quarter lead; they never looked back. They shredded the Bucs’ defense (now much-improved). At the half, the score was: Chiefs 20, Tampa Bay 7. The Buccaneers scored 14 unanswered fourth-quarter points to make things look closer than they appeared on the scoreboard.

Yes, Tom Brady has a mystique. He lives for moments like these (his 10th Super Bowl appearance). He knows that this may be his “last hurrah.” What better way than to go out a winner and, in the process, get his 7th Super Bowl ring. Yet the Andy Reid-coached Chiefs may have something to say about Brady’s hopes and aspirations.

The Bucs do have the home-field advantage (no travel; no acclimation). The Chiefs, according to reports, will arrive late – two days before the Super Bowl (Covid-19 protocols). Moreover, only two teams in league history have made it to Super Bowls playing in their home regions — the 49ers at Stanford Stadium in Super Bowl 19 and the Rams at the Rose Bowl in Super Bowl 14 — but neither was at their home stadiums. The Bucs, who play at Roland James during the regular season and now in the Super Bowl, is a first.

The ongoing pandemic adds a wrinkle to any potential home-field advantage for the Bucs: Only 22,000 fans will be present. That’s roughly 30% of the stadium’s capacity. The league will gift roughly 7,500 tickets to healthcare workers, which means only about 14,500 are available to purchase. I believe more corporate types will be there than die-hard fans. I wonder, as an aside, what tickets will be going for as game-time approaches.

Moreover, psychological studies do indicate that sports teams that are playing in their home stadia (home-field advantage) do gain an edge. It’s a case of familiarity (the “pirate ship” and the primarily Bucs crowd, albeit limited). How much that will help the Bucs is hard to say (The Bucs were just 5-3 at home this year). However, one thing’s for sure; it won’t hurt.
It’s just that the Chiefs, particularly on offense, have “too many weapons,” e.g., Patrick Mahomes, Tyreek Hill, Travis Kelce, etc. You can’t just stop one player; you have to stop several. That will be a tall task for the Buccaneers’ defense.

If I’m the Bucs defense, I’ve got to stop both Hill and Kelce. Double-cover? I doubt Patrick Mahomes will do much running. Scamble, yes. But running… A recent mild concussion (pinched nerve) plus turf-toe will likely lessen that probability. I don’t figure Mahomes to take many chances.

Further, Todd Bowles, the Bucs defense coordinator, may be thinking, “Let’s emphasize pass defense and see if Edwards-Helaire et al. can beat us on the ground.”

For the Chiefs, when on defense, they must pressure Tom Brady. He sometimes “wears his emotions on his sleeve.” He is prone to throwing interceptions. The Chiefs defensive coordinator, Steve Spagnuolo, might just throw in a few “blitzes” or change up his defensive schemes to keep Brady off-balance.

It boils down to “cat-and-mouse” and adjustments.
In the end, I believe that despite the home-field advantage the Chiefs are too strong.

An added dimension is that the Chiefs are the “defending Super Bowl champs.” “Been there; done that!” Last year they defeated San Francisco, 31-20. The last time the Bucs were in the Super Bowl, 2003, they defeated Oakland, 48-21. Maybe, with the exception of Brady, most of the Bucs’ players were in elementary school.

Again, I believe the Chiefs cover and that both teams will combine to go “over.” In the end, the Chiefs just have “too many weapons.” Good Luck!

"Walt, make a 'mental bet' and lose your mind." R.N.S.

"The important thing is what I think of myself."
"David and Lisa" (1962)

Teach is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-26-2021, 11:29 AM   #2
king kong

Super Bowl

Will Kraft and or BB attend?
king kong is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-02-2021, 09:36 AM   #3
burnsy
self medicated

I agree with that. With exception to the total bet. It’s a wager I don’t usually care for anyway. But if the game starts slowly , there’s a good chance it could go under. Plus, a low scoring contest may be the only chance TB has. The Chiefs style is like the Yankees in baseball. They want one big quarter or series of scores to knock you out. Much like the Yankees look for that big inning. Cleveland withstood it and had a chance where the Bills defense got the knock out blow in the second quarter. The last time these two teams met the Chiefs had them where they wanted them by half. The Bucs need a few breaks, mistakes or turnovers by the Chiefs to even things out. And like you said on the other side the Bucs can’t afford fumbles or pics like they did vs Green Bay. That’s the difference between Green Bay and Kansas City. The weapons you talked about don’t let those opportunities go by. The Bucs won that last game in spite of Brady. Even though he gets all the hype. If he gets picked 2 or 3 times this will get ugly. The Chiefs can be beaten like any football team....... but right now they are the best team in the league. Maybe the Bucs get a break with the injuries the Chiefs have. But with Andy the Walrus coaching I would not count on that either. The Bucs have to come up with their 3 rd defensive gem in a row to have a chance .

Last edited by burnsy; 02-02-2021 at 09:42 AM.
burnsy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-02-2021, 09:27 PM   #4
Ray Donovon
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by king kong View Post
Will Kraft and or BB attend?
You don’t think they are rooting for Brady ? He made millions for them. I would find it hard to believe any Patriots fan, player, or former teammate or former coach Would be rooting against Tom Brady. It would take a small person to feel otherwise.
Ray Donovon is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-03-2021, 12:39 AM   #5
lamboguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Donovon View Post
You don’t think they are rooting for Brady ? He made millions for them. I would find it hard to believe any Patriots fan, player, or former teammate or former coach Would be rooting against Tom Brady. It would take a small person to feel otherwise.
you root for anyone that you have your money on.
lamboguy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-03-2021, 01:13 AM   #6
mountainman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Donovon View Post
With all respect, sir, I disagree. People are way more complex than that. And success-even mutual success-often sparks resentment in the unlikeliest of places. Perhaps ESPECIALLY in the unlikeliest of places. Familiarity breeds contempt at least as often as it engenders loyalty. There is an old European proverb for which there is no exact American interpretation, but the general thrust is : "When my friends prosper, I die a little."

That's just my take, Ray, and I could certainly be mistaken in this instance.

BTW..I would bet big that Belichick roots hard against Brady. And that Tom returns the favor. Unless, that is, they are saints as well as GOATS.

Last edited by mountainman; 02-03-2021 at 01:18 AM.
mountainman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-03-2021, 01:39 AM   #7
Ray Donovon
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamboguy View Post
you root for anyone that you have your money on.
I root for my friends, and my teams . I bet Green Bay last week, but I rooted for Tampa and Tom Brady and Gronk. It may seem strange, but you gotta bet with your head not your heart. My head said Green Bay at home was the play. I should have known better.

Super Bowl is the same deal. My formula for winning almost every year is that the best team wins and covers. KC is the better team, even though they have looked very common at times this year. If they get in front they will slow the game and win. If they get behind, they are equally dangerous as we have seen. The TB defense has improved as of Late . They will look to hit Mahomes early and often. Devin White is all over the place. Tough to cover Hill and Kelce though.
Bet on KC root for Brady.
Ray Donovon is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-03-2021, 05:07 PM   #8
crestridge
Paladin & Fudge

Yes, it is proper to bet with logical analysis, and root with your "heart". However, I entered a work force tournament to pick the Superbowl winner, before the playoffs started, and picked TB to win the Superbowl. But it was with the "heart" not analysis, all the way up to the Superbowl, because analysis revealed New Orleans, and Green Bay to be the proper choice, but I went with the "heart", probably because of Brady's story. He's many times been not wanted, or thought to be finished. Which from a logical perspective would be accurate, but for some illogical reason, he's overcome the odds. It would be nice to see him/TB win. But like everyone has said, it's going to depend, not so much on Brady, but TB's defense.
crestridge is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-07-2021, 10:57 PM   #9
crestridge
Paladin & Fudge

number "7"

He beat the odds again!!!
crestridge is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-08-2021, 05:27 AM   #10
judd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teach View Post
I believe the Kansas City Chiefs will win Super Bowl LV. They have, to put it succinctly, “too many weapons.”

The last I saw the Chiefs were -3; the over/under was 56.5.
Let me assert my firm belief that the game will go “over.”
The long-range, 10-days-out-weather-forecast calls for high temps at Tampa’s “Ray-Jay,” Raymond James Stadium, on Sunday, February 7 to be in the mid 70’s (possibly lower by game-time: 6:30 p.m.). Nonetheless, there will be a fast track.

In their regular-season meeting in Week 12, the Chiefs won: 27-24. The score was not indicative of the one-sidedness of the game. The Chiefs jumped out to a 17-0 first-quarter lead; they never looked back. They shredded the Bucs’ defense (now much-improved). At the half, the score was: Chiefs 20, Tampa Bay 7. The Buccaneers scored 14 unanswered fourth-quarter points to make things look closer than they appeared on the scoreboard.

Yes, Tom Brady has a mystique. He lives for moments like these (his 10th Super Bowl appearance). He knows that this may be his “last hurrah.” What better way than to go out a winner and, in the process, get his 7th Super Bowl ring. Yet the Andy Reid-coached Chiefs may have something to say about Brady’s hopes and aspirations.

The Bucs do have the home-field advantage (no travel; no acclimation). The Chiefs, according to reports, will arrive late – two days before the Super Bowl (Covid-19 protocols). Moreover, only two teams in league history have made it to Super Bowls playing in their home regions — the 49ers at Stanford Stadium in Super Bowl 19 and the Rams at the Rose Bowl in Super Bowl 14 — but neither was at their home stadiums. The Bucs, who play at Roland James during the regular season and now in the Super Bowl, is a first.

The ongoing pandemic adds a wrinkle to any potential home-field advantage for the Bucs: Only 22,000 fans will be present. That’s roughly 30% of the stadium’s capacity. The league will gift roughly 7,500 tickets to healthcare workers, which means only about 14,500 are available to purchase. I believe more corporate types will be there than die-hard fans. I wonder, as an aside, what tickets will be going for as game-time approaches.

Moreover, psychological studies do indicate that sports teams that are playing in their home stadia (home-field advantage) do gain an edge. It’s a case of familiarity (the “pirate ship” and the primarily Bucs crowd, albeit limited). How much that will help the Bucs is hard to say (The Bucs were just 5-3 at home this year). However, one thing’s for sure; it won’t hurt.
It’s just that the Chiefs, particularly on offense, have “too many weapons,” e.g., Patrick Mahomes, Tyreek Hill, Travis Kelce, etc. You can’t just stop one player; you have to stop several. That will be a tall task for the Buccaneers’ defense.

If I’m the Bucs defense, I’ve got to stop both Hill and Kelce. Double-cover? I doubt Patrick Mahomes will do much running. Scamble, yes. But running… A recent mild concussion (pinched nerve) plus turf-toe will likely lessen that probability. I don’t figure Mahomes to take many chances.

Further, Todd Bowles, the Bucs defense coordinator, may be thinking, “Let’s emphasize pass defense and see if Edwards-Helaire et al. can beat us on the ground.”

For the Chiefs, when on defense, they must pressure Tom Brady. He sometimes “wears his emotions on his sleeve.” He is prone to throwing interceptions. The Chiefs defensive coordinator, Steve Spagnuolo, might just throw in a few “blitzes” or change up his defensive schemes to keep Brady off-balance.

It boils down to “cat-and-mouse” and adjustments.
In the end, I believe that despite the home-field advantage the Chiefs are too strong.

An added dimension is that the Chiefs are the “defending Super Bowl champs.” “Been there; done that!” Last year they defeated San Francisco, 31-20. The last time the Bucs were in the Super Bowl, 2003, they defeated Oakland, 48-21. Maybe, with the exception of Brady, most of the Bucs’ players were in elementary school.

Again, I believe the Chiefs cover and that both teams will combine to go “over.” In the end, the Chiefs just have “too many weapons.” Good Luck!
Old 02-08-2021, 07:02 AM   #11
Teach

This morning, I'm eating "humble pie." Kudos to Bucs head coach, Bruce Arians, asst. head coach, Harold Goodwin, offensive coordinator, Byron Leftwich, and defensive coordinator, Todd Bowles. Was it the Chiefs offensive line? (it seemed that every time I looked up Patrick Mahomes was either scrambling or trying to throw passes from most unusual positions). Was it the Chiefs kicking game? Was it Mahomes' toe (said to be operated upon after the season)? Was it the tragic incident involving Andy Reid's son, Britt, that weighed heavily upon him and possibly the team? Reid did not seem himself. The Chiefs didn't make adjustments. Could they have thrown screens? Run draws? The Chiefs came across as predictable. The Chiefs do have other receivers besides Hill and Kelce (there were some Bucs pass interference plays that were not called). Get the others receivers more involved. In a hyphenated word, the Chiefs were "self-destructing". Is there something to be said for home-field advantage? Whatever it was the Bucs did, it worked. In closing, Tom Brady is still "the Master." Hats off to "Tom Terrific."

"Walt, make a 'mental bet' and lose your mind." R.N.S.

"The important thing is what I think of myself."
"David and Lisa" (1962)

Teach is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-08-2021, 11:51 AM   #12
king kong

Tom Brady

Tom Brady carried the N.E. team with a run of the mill coaching staff for years.
king kong is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-08-2021, 12:30 PM   #13
PhantomOnTour
C'est Tout

Father Time is no longer undefeated...he took the L last night
Old 02-08-2021, 12:53 PM   #14
barahona44

Location: Diez meses en Port St. Lucie, FL; two months in the Dominican Republic
Tom Brady now has seven rings,Michael Jordan has six.

I heard a few people say in the past couple of weeks that Brady will have/now has more championships in any team sport than any other player.

Apparently, they've never heard of Bill Russell, Yogi Berra, Lou Gehrig,K. C. Jones, John Havlicek, Joe DiMaggio,Sam Jones,etc

Fleetwood Mac, Oh Well, Part 1 (1969)
barahona44 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-08-2021, 01:26 PM   #15
Vinnie

The D of the Tampa Bay Bucs secured the Victory Last night. That was some kind of disruptive defensive effort. Major Kudos to the Bucs!!

Vinnie

"All Human error is impatience; a premature renunciation of method"- F. Kafka
Vinnie is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: