Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 02-26-2024, 08:07 PM   #31
ElKabong

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman View Post
"Girly girls" are invariably the toughest and most physically capable. When I was younger, I saw several chick fights break out and each encounter, for whatever reason, involved a demure, extremely feminine female throwing down, after considerable taunting and provocation, with a more aggressive and masculine gal who looked 1/9.

I would have lost those wagers because in each instance the girly girl CLEANED UP on the swaggering manly chick.
Wow. Can't imagine my wife in a fight. Don't think that ever happened

She was daddy's girl. He took her everywhere including fishing on weekends at Caddo lake. She loved it but wouldn't touch a worm to put it on a hook. Pretty much describes her to a tee

Glad you got to play a round today. Simple pleasures of lufe
“We’re in a situation where we have put together, and you guys did it for our administration…President Obama’s administration before this. We have put together, I think, the most extensive and inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics,” -Joe Biden
ElKabong is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-26-2024, 08:44 PM   #32
mountainman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElKabong View Post

She was daddy's girl. He took her everywhere including fishing on weekends at Caddo lake. She loved it but wouldn't touch a worm to put it on a hook. Pretty much describes her to a tee

She just might be the exception. Better keep her away from mean biker babes..lol.

btw-if i leave ONE MORE PUTT short somebody should brain me with a 5-iron.
mountainman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-26-2024, 09:35 PM   #33
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Very sorry to hear that. At 66 my golf game has dropped off a bit, but in the gym I am stronger than ever. When I follow much younger beastly dudes onto an apparatus, I rarely need to reduce the weight.

Since it was sunny and 65 here today, I spurned Mahoning and hit the links with two pals. Let's just say pars and birdies were scarce, but my day got a lot better when I came off the course and pulled up race results. Having prepared last night in plans of wagering today, I can say for certain that I saved money by hitting the links.

No more golf after I had to have my spine fused at 38. I don't see how Tiger can still play, I bet he is loaded to the gills on muscle relaxers and pain pills when he is shooting a round. Some people can function pretty well on those things that would put others in a coma. After the back surgery I played my last 18 holes, shot an 81, not bad after not playing for a couple years. I spent half the next week on the couch. I would bet now I could not get the ball out of the cup without falling over. I played a lot of golf in the SoCal desert, summer rates were cheap and a high noon tee time and you could play 36 for the 18 price or 18 for the 9 price. The more expensive courses usually had an attractive young lady towing around a mobile bar. Fortunately
we had a foursome member who did not drink. I am sure by the back nine of the last 18 I was well over the BAC limit for driving and it was .10 back then.
I shot pretty much the same loaded as sober, not the same for my friends.
They did have a rule no more than one drink at a time each. I got the non drinker's beer. Being a decent tipper the range girl was never far away. I usually had to make up the difference as my friends did not tip well.
Inner Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-26-2024, 09:49 PM   #34
Inner Dirt

Quote:

Quote:
She just might be the exception. Better keep her away from mean biker babes..lol.

Many decades ago, yikes it was 40 years! I have been self employed for 30.
My work friends and I would drink our lunch at a local biker bar. There was a sign on the door that said "No colors flown" . The bartender who worked there often would have our usuals waiting for us. Forgot her name we just referred to her as leather tits, not to her face. She was pretty big, pretty face, built like a linebacker. One day one of the regulars an older guy who I am probably older than now had a nice black eye, half swollen shut. The story was he had a few too many and she cut him off and said she was going to call him a cab. When he talked back and demanded to be served she decked him with one punch. It looked like they had kissed and made up.
Old 02-26-2024, 09:52 PM   #35
ElKabong

Quote:

https://youtu.be/i9slyyRgmLs?si=tIvkLiItjVsjEpPb

Guaranteed you're a better putter than me. Found this to be interesting. Android version comes out next month. Like the guy says, use it for a few rounds then you get a feel for the proper break & pace. Stimp at my home course is 10, sometimes more. Kills me.
“We’re in a situation where we have put together, and you guys did it for our administration…President Obama’s administration before this. We have put together, I think, the most extensive and inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics,” -Joe Biden
ElKabong is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-26-2024, 10:10 PM   #36
Inner Dirt

Quote:
The stepson (and my grand daughter, who is the light of my life) lives with us. I'll be glad when he's gone. He graduates from SFA next fall thankfully. Wife and I want some peace and quiet.
But we'll miss our grand daughter!

Wife is as girly girl as it gets. Dresses , talks, walks, acts like a woman. Can cook better than any woman I've met. Started a large chess business on the side long before i met her, we turned it into the largest chess instruction, tournament, camp combine in North Texas prior to covid.

Has her faults like anyone but I consider myself lucky.

But she amazes neighbors with her ability to run a saw. Almost every man here in the neighborhood knows how to DIY, hunt, fish, etc. She's been asked for pointers often since our deck went up.

I need to ask her again what we spent at McCoys for materials on that deck. 1400$ is what I recall. I do know this, post covid the contractors have quoted ridiculous amounts for work. I'm no diy guy, but I can lift and take directions. I wasn't about to pay about 20k for a deck that a team could be done eith in 3 days.

Unlike our resident retired mailman I have no reason to run around and call people liars, but now I am starting to question your honesty. I have been around some women that blew my mind with their behavior, some good, some bad. First I was skeptical of a petite woman highly skilled at construction trades. The few I knew that were like that were far from petite and feminine.

Now you are claiming a petite DIY woman is also a skilled chess player? I am sure I have know more women than most men as many used me as fly repellent in health clubs. I probably have known the personal details of 1,000+ women, their likes and dislikes. I would say 4 had or could be taught DIY skills.ZERO of them played chess. You are telling me your wife is highly skilled at both? get the f**k out of here.
Old 02-26-2024, 10:54 PM   #37
Inner Dirt

Quote:
https://youtu.be/i9slyyRgmLs?si=tIvkLiItjVsjEpPb

Guaranteed you're a better putter than me. Found this to be interesting. Android version comes out next month. Like the guy says, use it for a few rounds then you get a feel for the proper break & pace. Stimp at my home course is 10, sometimes more. Kills me.

I hate to brag, but when I played no one could come close to sucking at putting worse than me. If I could take a full swing back in the day I was deadly long and accurate. I would shoot the same scores on long courses as short. I cannot remember if it was the south or north course but look up Los Serranos in Chino Ca. One is longer but both have insane distances from the black tees or championship as they are called. One of the courses or maybe both are par 74 from the back tees. Best round I ever shot a 3 over 77 was there. I would shoot the same at a 1500 yard shorter course, because of my horrible short game. A sand wedge was also a weapon in my hands, no one could pitch out of trap in front of the green and into the one behind the green like I could. My strategy on long par 5's was to get on in two and 3 put for a par. At Soboba Hot Springs outside of Hemet Ca which the scientologist bought and turned into their headquarters I drove the green on a 350 yard par 4. Mind you that was before I bought a set of metal clubs.

I missed a 3 footer that would have given me a eagle.

I think lifting weights starting at 13 until the spinal fusion at 38 ruined me for anything that took finesse. I swear I think I had more birdies at the Indio Municipal par 3 course playing before my growth spurt and lifting than I did as a full grown man. The closest I ever came to a hole in one I was 12. It was a course in Long Beach my grandma dropped me off at. I had a 4" put for a birdie, I made that one.

I "retired" from competing in basketball after 8th grade. I had a regulation hoop and free throw line. I could shoot free throws in the 80's at 12. Full grown man who played in many a full court pick up game and practiced trying to dunk and shoot free throws by myself I was a 50% free throw shooter. I was probably everyone's favorite teammate in pick up games.
I was a short but stout Dennis Rodman, played tough defense, and rebounded well, and let my teammates shoot, unless it was an easy put back shot.
Old 02-26-2024, 11:49 PM   #38
Inner Dirt

As long as someone mentioned golf I hope I will not be tarred and feathered for referencing it one more time.

I think I tend to be a negative person, but hey if you are a pessimist and assume the worst will happen you are rarely disappointed. No kidding, I am at a course in Hemet Ca hitting a large bucket at the driving range. Just using a driver and some fairway woods. There is a guy dressed in golf attire staring at me. I threw him a look back and pulled out my 9mm (just being funny pretending I am down with gang culture). He introduced himself as the club pro and said if he had my distance he would be on the PGA tour. He said no one has hit that shed before me and it was 325 yards out. This was before metal woods were common place. That was a metal maintenance building
and the worker in it where they repaired and charged the golf carts thought someone on the course was hitting balls at them.

He then asked what I shot and when I was truthful he was shocked and of
course said I just need lessons and handed me his business card. I told him I actually had tried lessons and there was no improvement. I really think he was impressed with my distance and not trying to sell his services.

Ok a club pro admired my distance, true story, but the next one is also true,......

I am in my early 20's, we usually walked as at this short par 4 course allowed people the option of not renting a cart. We only had 3 and the starter asked
if it was OK if a guy joined us to make a foursome. The starter said he was elderly but rented a cart and since we were walking he would not slow us down. We agreed to let him join us. We let the guy who I forget, was either 86 or 88 play off the ladies tees. I played off the back tees as I do and easily defeated my two friends. This old geezer who was lucky if he hit a drive, long iron, or fairway wood 125 yards beat me by a stroke!

This SOB had a deadly short game. I never saw someone can long puts like he did. I obviously got to the green faster than he did but his one putts countered my 3 putts. The old geezer even had the nerve to say his wife will think he is lying when he tells her her he beat a big strong looking young man at golf.
Old 02-27-2024, 02:59 AM   #39
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Very sorry to hear that. At 66 my golf game has dropped off a bit, but in the gym I am stronger than ever. When I follow much younger beastly dudes onto an apparatus, I rarely need to reduce the weight.

Since it was sunny and 65 here today, I spurned Mahoning and hit the links with two pals. Let's just say pars and birdies were scarce, but my day got a lot better when I came off the course and pulled up race results. Having prepared last night in plans of wagering today, I can say for certain that I saved money by hitting the links.

Very impressive! I was just hoping to keep my strength into my late 40's
I only made it to 38. After a bad weight lifting accident put me out of commission for two years at 18 I never even got close to the 18 year old me.
I always wanted to bench 400 again, after 18 I could never get past 395. At 18 I put up 470, clean no drugs. Not bad for someone who weighed 215-220.
I did partake in some weight lifting contests. That 470# only got 4th place in a SoCal event for college students. I did put up 3 wheels as in 315# in the seated military lift and got a first place medal. Unfortunately I pitched that medal into a field when I hurt my back and could not lift or play college football any more. I even took a baseball bat to a bowling trophy I won.

Since athletic achievements took so much work for me as I definitely was not a natural, I was really proud of the ones I had. On the other hand the academic ones did not mean spit to me. My aunt called me and congratulated me that I was in the LA Times for being a straight A student, for the whole year. I was like who cares, I made the wall in the weight room for my lifts.
Old 02-27-2024, 11:11 AM   #40
mountainman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner Dirt View Post
Very impressive! I was just hoping to keep my strength into my late 40's
I only made it to 38. After a bad weight lifting accident put me out of commission for two years at 18 I never even got close to the 18 year old me.
I always wanted to bench 400 again, after 18 I could never get past 395. At 18 I put up 470, clean no drugs. Not bad for someone who weighed 215-220.
I did partake in some weight lifting contests. That 470# only got 4th place in a SoCal event for college students. I did put up 3 wheels as in 315# in the seated military lift and got a first place medal. Unfortunately I pitched that medal into a field when I hurt my back and could not lift or play college football any more. I even took a baseball bat to a bowling trophy I won.

Since athletic achievements took so much work for me as I definitely was not a natural, I was really proud of the ones I had. On the other hand the academic ones did not mean spit to me. My aunt called me and congratulated me that I was in the LA Times for being a straight A student, for the whole year. I was like who cares, I made the wall in the weight room for my lifts.
All that's pretty impressive. Golf drives me nuts. It's the only human endeavor that you can practice yet get worse at. Maybe way worse.

On the age thing..my first drop-off came at 35, slight, but noticeable. The next, at 52, was like falling off a cliff. If I've maintained (slightly) more strength and athleticism than most 66 yr old fat guys, it's through hard effort and a youthful mindset. And I treat activities like an auction at which MY abilities are perpetually up for bids and if I don't buy them back (everyday), they are gone for good.

I really enjoy making things hard on myself. I've always been a bit twisted in that regard. (just not twisted enough to put down the cheezits)
mountainman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-27-2024, 11:42 AM   #41
davew

having a roof with lights would be nice if you plan on using it after dark or during rain/sleet/snow.
davew is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-27-2024, 12:57 PM   #42
Inner Dirt

Quote:
All that's pretty impressive. Golf drives me nuts. It's the only human endeavor that you can practice yet get worse at. Maybe way worse.

On the age thing..my first drop-off came at 35, slight, but noticeable. The next, at 52, was like falling off a cliff. If I've maintained (slightly) more strength and athleticism than most 66 yr old fat guys, it's through hard effort and a youthful mindset. And I treat activities like an auction at which MY abilities are perpetually up for bids and if I don't buy them back (everyday), they are gone for good.

I really enjoy making things hard on myself. I've always been a bit twisted in that regard. (just not twisted enough to put down the cheezits)

Cheezits, funny thing when I moved from Cali to Va I took multiple trips not wanting to shut the business down for too long. On one trip I took my friend that will be the last escapee from Cali that I know. I am very good at math, not what I used to be. I could figure minimum place and show prices at the snap of your fingers. Anyway I packed a lot of snacks and a large cooler of sodas. My friend and I made quick work of a large box of Cheezits. I did the math on the calories and said "Do you realize we just ate 2500 calories of those damn things." he reached back in the second row of seats where the box of snacks was and said. "What should we have next?"

As for golf driving you nuts you a not the only one. I would consider myself calm cool, collected and fearless. I never panic, I had a friend catch me on fire, I just dropped in the freshly watered lawn and put myself out. I stayed inside a mid engine van and put out an engine fire. Been caught in riptides while body surfing, one time the life guard came out (they cheat and use swim fins) The guy throws me a flotation device. I was like "WTF is that for?" He is like "You are in a rip tide." I told him "No shit, I am fine, I am a very good swimmer." The guy told me I had to swim back in behind him, but at least I never touched the flotation device. I have no problem

striking up conversations with attractive women, no problem getting into fights, etc,etc.

Then there was golf. I was in constant fear of the snowman (an 8) no amount of practice cured my horrible short game. I was like scarred to putt. I always took risks and I never beat my step dad who I could out drive by 100 yards. If I had a late lead on him he would get in my head.
I had a stroke on him going into the 18th par 5 at Los Serranos. I figure up a stroke and a par 5, game over. That was a long one pushing 600 yards with a creek in front of the green. I probably end up in that water 50% of the time trying to get on in two. I rarely laid up unless there was head or cross wind. I hit a pretty long drive and on shot 2 grabbed a 7 iron to lay up as there was a little head wind. I could hit a 7 iron about 200 yards.
My step dad said no one wins not playing their game and he was shocked I was going to play it safe. He goaded me into grabbing my trusty 5 wood.
I got under it too much, the ball cleared the creek but instead of bouncing from the apron up the slight hill onto the green it went backward down the hill and into the creek. I then proceeded to not get any back spin on the pitch shot, it bounced into the trap behind the green, bad shot from the trap left me a mile long putt and of course I three putted for an 8. Step dad bogeys and wins by a stroke.

I think the only time I have had mental melt downs were playing golf.
Old 02-27-2024, 01:11 PM   #43
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by davew View Post
having a roof with lights would be nice if you plan on using it after dark or during rain/sleet/snow.

Speaking of lights I am pretty impressed with the new LEDs. The ones I put in the shop put out more light with a single tube than a fluorescent with two tubes and use less wattage. Those tubes are permanent so if they go the whole fixture is shot. As the florescents die I replace them with LEDs. I should have written down when I bought them, none have died yet and the temp in the shop varies wildly. Dumb ass me I did not insulate it, no chance now with it full of machinery. I am sure being as low as 20F and as high as 105F is not good on lights.
Old 02-27-2024, 03:49 PM   #44
davew

do the LEDs start right up when it is really cold (like 20 degrees)? My fluorescents flicker for a long time before popping on.
davew is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-27-2024, 04:11 PM   #45
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by davew View Post
do the LEDs start right up when it is really cold (like 20 degrees)? My fluorescents flicker for a long time before popping on.

They start right up.