Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Old 10-15-2020, 08:35 PM   #1
thaskalos

Remington Park...Race 1

As an admitted novice in the art of trip handicapping, I appeal to the expertise of the more experienced among you to tell me how many lengths the winning -horse was compromised in the race as a result of her tardy start.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 10-15-2020, 09:35 PM   #2
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Interesting. I'd agree with the 10 lengths the announcer said, at least, but often times if the pace was hot a lot of that can be mitigated in my opinion. I'd wait to see how fast the pace looks on figures before giving too much extra credit.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-15-2020, 09:44 PM   #3
Jeff P

Location: JCapper Platinum: Kind of like Deep Blue... but for horses.
In R1, #1 came away from the gate slowly, hopped in the air after coming away from the gate, nearly threw the rider, and spotted the field about 9 lengths before settling into a normal stride.

You almost never see horses win a race after giving a field that much of a head start.

But --

Imo, after four races, late runners appear to be at an advantage. Early runners appear to be at a disadvantage.

Based on my assessment of late bias if I had to come up with a 'number' for lengths compromised by the bad start --

I'd take take the 9 or so lengths the horse spotted the field before settling into a normal stride... use that as a starting point and divide by 2... about 4.5 lengths.

If I didn't think tonight's conditions were creating a late bias, my 'number' for lengths compromised by the bad start would be my estimate for actual distance the horse spotted the field before settling into a normal stride... about 9 lengths.

-jp

Last edited by Jeff P; 10-15-2020 at 09:50 PM.
Jeff P is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-16-2020, 06:40 AM   #4
FakeNameChanged

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
As an admitted novice in the art of trip handicapping, I appeal to the expertise of the more experienced among you to tell me how many lengths the winning -horse was compromised in the race as a result of her tardy start.

Thanks in advance for your help.
The question I'd have after reading the pdf charts of that race, how many lengths does that effort compromise her in the next start? Is she an almost automatic throw out?