Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Old 08-25-2020, 12:35 AM   #1
CBYRacer

Bulk data file purchases

Sorry for the new threads tonight. Relatively new to the boards and have enjoyed learning from you all.

Have any of you purchased bulk data for your databases (e.g., a few years worth of performance data for a particular track) from any of the major vendors (e.g., Timeform, Equibase, DRF, Bris, etc.)? Was the process to do this simple and what bulk datasets would you recommend?

As always, thanks for your insights into this.
CBYRacer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-25-2020, 01:14 AM   #2
mikesal57
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBYRacer View Post
Sorry for the new threads tonight. Relatively new to the boards and have enjoyed learning from you all.

Have any of you purchased bulk data for your databases (e.g., a few years worth of performance data for a particular track) from any of the major vendors (e.g., Timeform, Equibase, DRF, Bris, etc.)? Was the process to do this simple and what bulk datasets would you recommend?

As always, thanks for your insights into this.

You mentioned a couple of vendors that supply them...

what exactly do YOU want to do? and with what program?

If I'm not mistaken, HDW has a price of $100 per month...
There is a bulk discount but its still a lot for a years worth..
I dont believe you can get a particular track either, you have to buy the whole package...
mikesal57 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-25-2020, 01:47 AM   #3
CBYRacer

Thanks for the reply, Mike.

I would like to test the new data in a machine learning model I wrote. I probably wouldn't need to buy years of data to do this, but if the data proves useful, I would buy more.

I'll take a look at HDW.
CBYRacer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-02-2020, 01:36 PM   #4
staf

Can't say that I'm completely knowledgeable on the subject, but there doesn't appear to be an easy option to build a database for back testing. Every time I've looked into it, 1 file per track per day appears to be the only option.
staf is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-02-2020, 01:46 PM   #5
Jeff P

Location: JCapper Platinum: Kind of like Deep Blue... but for horses.
HDW (Handicappers Data Warehouse.)

re: 1 file per track per day --

HDW works with several different software vendors whose programs are fully capable of looping through a collection of past performance data and chart result files sitting on a hard drive - and writing both past performance and charts data to a database (that you can export to .csv file/get to afterwards.)

-jp

Last edited by Jeff P; 09-02-2020 at 01:57 PM.
Jeff P is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-03-2020, 08:49 AM   #6
JerryBoyle
Veteran

I purchase the DRF CSV files by year. They're easily consumable and pretty consistent with regards to adding the previous day's data. If I were starting from scratch, I'd probably go with either BRIS or some other data provider, as the DRF CSVs contain the bare minimum data.
JerryBoyle is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-29-2020, 12:11 PM   #7
TCors

I have several years worth of data that I've downloaded from BRIS in multi-file format and Exotic-Results files. The data is in csv format and BRIS provides files that explains the source of each field. I sent you a message on how I use the data in my own database application.
TCors is offline   Reply With Quote Reply