Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > **TRIPLE CROWN TRAIL**

Old 06-15-2018, 09:07 AM   #1
Blenheim
Race Player

It would have been interesting . . .

It would have been interesting to see how Justify responded to a real test of his class.

The horse, he is a fine horse, won the California, the Kentucky, the Maryland and the New York - seized the Triple Crown and did it in fine fashion, but how good is he really? And how does he compare to those that came before him?

Class is measured by how fast the horse ran, whom the horse beat and how he or she beat the opposition particularly in the deep stretch when the true measures of class are displayed - stamina, endurance, courage, determination and late drive - true grit. Best I can tell, this horse won all of his races, less the Maryland, on the front end uncontested, won the Kentucky and the Maryland on the ease and breeze of the slop and the fractional times in the New York unremarkable. In the Maryland when contested by Good Magic, in deep stretch he didn't display any of those true measures of class described above - he couldn't put the opposition away and grind em' into the dirt. If the finish was just a few more yards he loses to lowly Bravazo and Tenfold.

How do his times compare to those Triple Crown winners that came before him? How would you rank him when compared to those Triple Crown winners that came before him? How would you rank him when compared to those Triple Crown winners that came before him?

He is the horse of our time - late developing, lightly raced talented swifty; they get out front and run as fast and as far as their talent and breeding allow. Once they get out front on the fast they're hard to catch, particularly in the Classics because the competition isn't bred with enough stamina to overcome the speed late stretch. If these types go easy uncontested they're hard to beat. We'll never know good they really are because their greed value is found at stud.

Ironically, so few go on to become great sires.

Last edited by Blenheim; 06-15-2018 at 09:11 AM.
Blenheim is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-15-2018, 11:56 AM   #2
jay68802

His class has been tested, 4 times, he passed all of them. In his allowance race he broke slow, did not get the lead, rated and won the race late. In the Derby he dueled through fast fractions and no one caught him. In the Preakness he again went head to head for the lead, and won despite not being the best physically, showing the most important part, heart. And in the Belmont, for a lot of reasons no one challenged him, but no one made up ground on him in the stretch, either. In other word's, he established himself as the dominant horse and no on challenge that. The class is there, no question about that.
jay68802 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-15-2018, 12:01 PM   #3
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay68802 View Post
His class has been tested, 4 times, he passed all of them. In his allowance race he broke slow, did not get the lead, rated and won the race late. In the Derby he dueled through fast fractions and no one caught him. In the Preakness he again went head to head for the lead, and won despite not being the best physically, showing the most important part, heart. And in the Belmont, for a lot of reasons no one challenged him, but no one made up ground on him in the stretch, either. In other word's, he established himself as the dominant horse and no on challenge that. The class is there, no question about that.

The biggest reason he wasn't challenged in the Belmont is he went too fast. Even as it was he sapped the rest of the field that laid close to him. The runner-up came from far back of even the next-to-last horse.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-15-2018, 12:26 PM   #4
BlueChip@DRF
Random Numbers Generator

Location: In the grandstand looking under the seats for tickets or food
He is the dominant horse among the 3YOs, that is the best he has shown so far. He did not have an Alydar to push him all the way around, nor did he beat the field in world record time while performing a tremendous display of separation. He is the dominant 3YO among 3YOs until proven otherwise. I would like to how the does against his elders and/or perhaps overseas.
Old 06-15-2018, 12:30 PM   #5
GMB@BP

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post

The biggest reason he wasn't challenged in the Belmont is he went too fast. Even as it was he sapped the rest of the field that laid close to him. The runner-up came from far back of even the next-to-last horse.
Yea, thats not been talked about, he basically cracked the pace horses in the Belmont just like he did in the Derby. If it was a slow pace they wouldnt have all finished in the back of the pack.
GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-15-2018, 12:33 PM   #6
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueChip@DRF View Post
He is the dominant horse among the 3YOs, that is the best he has shown so far. He did not have an Alydar to push him all the way around, nor did he beat the field in world record time while performing a tremendous display of separation. He is the dominant 3YO among 3YOs until proven otherwise. I would like to how the does against his elders and/or perhaps overseas.
I would say Good Magic was his Alydar. Maybe he isn't quite at that level, but if Alydar is going to be the standard no horse will ever measure up. We might get to see him against his elders, once. We surely won't see him overseas unless they stick around for the Dubai race. I'm not sure what that would prove, basically been owned by US horses on dirt since inception.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-15-2018, 12:42 PM   #7
jay68802

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMB@BP View Post
Yea, thats not been talked about, he basically cracked the pace horses in the Belmont just like he did in the Derby. If it was a slow pace they wouldnt have all finished in the back of the pack.
The other pace horses threw in the towel about half way around the final turn, just shows how a strong pace, distributed evenly, can destroy other horses. The one thing that I personally keep going back to is that I used NI in the exacta, very poor judgment on my part.
jay68802 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-15-2018, 01:02 PM   #8
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Justify should be a horse I'm absolutely in love with...but damn it...I'm not...I'm too jaded at this point.

Holy Bull ruined me for every horse who came after him.

I love speed horses who just go out there and DO IT. Justify just DOES IT.

So why don't I love this horse by now?
Old 06-15-2018, 01:08 PM   #9
Fager Fan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
Justify should be a horse I'm absolutely in love with...but damn it...I'm not...I'm too jaded at this point.

Probably because we can see that he's not a Holy Bull. Winner of a TC or not.

He doesn't inspire me either. And I thought all those 37 years that a TC winner would be this exceptional beast that certainly proved that during his TC run. AP was special but still didn't give me the feeling I expected. This horse? I don't feel anything at all about him other than "nice horse."
Fager Fan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-15-2018, 01:20 PM   #10
GMB@BP

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post

When you first get into something and its new many times after that the feeling is not replicated and thus people say its not as good.

I still feel more fondly for Arazi than I do for many two year olds, because that was when I got into the game, and that horse was inspirational for a impressionable young person.

Good Magic sure didnt give me the same feeling.

As time goes on its pretty universal that people perceive things as not being as good as they remember.
Old 06-15-2018, 02:17 PM   #11
Blenheim
Race Player

Didn't beat anyone and didn't show any true grit; not a sign of stamina, endurance, courage, determination and late drive - those qualities of class that make for a truly remarkable horse. The horse, he is a fine horse. No doubt the horse possesses speed, but just enough speed - measured and paced speed - to get there jussst in time.

How can you connect w/that type of horse? People connect w/him, but just for now. He is a horse of his time, quickly forgotten.

It would have been spectacular to have seen him hook w/another horse early, go nose to nose, stride for stride, crack of the whip for crack of the whip in a thrilling stretch drive and show that what he has compares to those that have demonstrated they truly have it. This one, don't think so. I was at the Bloodhorse site the other day and the headline mentioned something about his "legacy"; kidding me, right?

Read today horse is back in training, so not all is lost, he still has time to show he has the right stuff.

I will, once again, pose the unanswered questions: Where do Justify's Kentucky, Maryland and NY final times rank compared to those that ran before him? How would you rank him when compared to the previous 12 Triple Crown Champions?

Sunday Silence . . .

Blenheim is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-15-2018, 02:25 PM   #12
GMB@BP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blenheim View Post
He is a horse of his time, quickly forgotten.
Laughably inaccurate.

People remember Sir Barton.......why, cause he won the triple crown.

The accomplishment transcends everyday history in this sport, its now generational.
Old 06-15-2018, 04:23 PM   #13
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

James Quinn said that a class horse looks the lesser horse in the eye and that beats him.

But you can't look him in the eye if you can't catch him.

Ask Nobel Indy!
Old 06-15-2018, 06:21 PM   #14
jocko699
Resurrectionist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom;2329663[COLOR="Red"
]James Quinn said that a class horse looks the lesser horse in the eye and that beats him.
[/COLOR]
But you can't look him in the eye if you can't catch him.

Ask Nobel Indy!
Exactly!!!!!!!
Battle is the most magnificent competition in which a human being can indulge. It brings out all that is best; it removes all that is base. All men are afraid in battle. The coward is the one who lets his fear overcome his sense of duty. Duty is the essence of manhood.
jocko699 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-15-2018, 07:01 PM   #15
theotherside

It would have been spectacular to have seen him hook w/another horse early, go nose t

Thought he did that in the Preakness against the 2 yo champ?
theotherside is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: