Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 11-07-2010, 11:18 AM   #286
RXB

Quote:
Originally Posted by andymays
Zenyatta ran great. Much better than I expected. She is a great one.
Andy, I give you credit for posting this. There's nothing wrong with having an opinion beforehand, but when you follow up like this, it shows some character.
RXB is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-07-2010, 11:37 AM   #287
andymays
Veteran

Stein is interviewing Lenny Shulman right now. Shulman says that he and Hasking were watching the race and Hasking commented that she appeared to have no shot because of where she was early on.
andymays is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-07-2010, 11:40 AM   #288
andymays
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RXB
Andy, I give you credit for posting this. There's nothing wrong with having an opinion beforehand, but when you follow up like this, it shows some character.

I think that people need to separate the opinion of a gambler and the opinion of a fan. As a gambler I thought she would be way overbet and even money was nuts. I liked Blame and thought 5-1 on him was nuts. I did miss the tri's and super's because I was stubborn.

Z is great. Blame ran great. It was a good Breeders Cup.

Last edited by andymays; 11-07-2010 at 11:42 AM.
Old 11-07-2010, 11:42 AM   #289
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Stein is interviewing Lenny Shulman right now. Shulman says that he and Hasking were watching the race and Hasking commented that she appeared to have no shot because of where she was early on.
Why, because she was in her customary spot but getting a fast pace to run into? That makes sense.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-07-2010, 11:43 AM   #290
andymays
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
Why, because she was in her customary spot but getting a fast pace to run into? That makes sense.
It was a comment made while the race was in progress. Just two guys at the track talking during the race. I wouldn't read that much into it.
Old 11-07-2010, 11:45 AM   #291
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
It was a comment made while the race was in progress. Just two guys at the track talking during the race. I wouldn't read that much into it.
I get it. I just don't get the point, other than to maybe say they were clueless.
Old 11-07-2010, 11:48 AM   #292
andymays
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
I get it. I just don't get the point, other than to maybe say they were clueless.
Why are they clueless? The guy is just relating a personal moment during the race. I didn't think she would come close half way through the race.
Old 11-07-2010, 11:49 AM   #293
Saratoga_Mike
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
She was approximately 16 1/2 lengths off at the qtr, much farther back than her previous starts (at least her last 10 races), and looked borderline lethargic. So I think that's why he made the comment.
Saratoga_Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-07-2010, 11:53 AM   #294
Grits

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohbaby
I don't know how you can say she doesn't deserve it and in the next sentence talk about her greatness. Shouldn't HOY be all about Greatness?
No, its an annual event based on annual achievement. Not lifetime honors.
Grits is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-07-2010, 11:55 AM   #295
andymays
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grits
No, its an annual event based on annual achievement. Not lifetime honors.
Exactly.

Why do I get the feeling you're going to have to say this over and over again and then they still won't get it?
Old 11-07-2010, 11:56 AM   #296
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

I see a few 13s. She was closer up because the pace is much slower on synthetics. I guess I'm being too hard on them for not knowing that, it isn't a big deal.

I've watched her other races many times. She always looks that way to me. The difference is those in front of her yesterday were winging it, not loping along. She probably ran as fast or faster early in the race yesterday as she has all year when adjusting for track speed.
Old 11-07-2010, 11:57 AM   #297
andymays
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
I see a few 13s. She was closer up because the pace is much slower on synthetics. I guess I'm being too hard on them for not knowing that, it isn't a big deal.

I've watched her other races many times. She always looks that way to me. The difference is those in front of her yesterday were winging it, not loping along. She probably ran as fast or faster early in the race yesterday as she has all year when adjusting for track speed.
They trained her to run like that so they shouldn't be surprised. In her last two works she didn't pass her workmates after sitting way back early and they said it was by design. Maybe they should have trained her a little differently or run her on dirt prior to this race just one time.

Last edited by andymays; 11-07-2010 at 11:59 AM.
Old 11-07-2010, 12:07 PM   #298
Greyfox

It's Physiology more than anything.

Quote:
They trained her to run like that so they shouldn't be surprised. .
I think that Zenyatta's inherited physiology dictates her running style more than any training could ever do. She's hard wired that way. Trying to get her to go earlier would only subtract from her ability to finish.
Greyfox is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-07-2010, 12:14 PM   #299
cnollfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanT
18 pages! Holy smokes, but to be expected on one of the most interesting horses we have ever had to watch and assess.

Kudos to several of the posters who were questioning this mare on dirt against good horses who made no excuse and gave her some props for her effort.

It kind of ends a long drawn out process on this board.

One thing I will note (imo) is this was a very cool time for handicappers. As a closer mare, who runs to a target and does not flash speed like so many good horses we are used to, she throws a giant hole into handicapping dogma - the dogma that you me and everyone has been weaned on since the 1970's. There are very few horses who do that - I can not even think of one off hand. It was neat to me, because we got to watch a horse and how she races rather than watch her races and then wait for a Beyer figure. That was very cool for me as a handicapper.

I have no idea where she will be placed in the history of great mares, but I know one thing - a mare who can take on the best male horses in the land on two separate surfaces at an American classic distance, and come up a foot or so short of sweeping them, is one dandy racemare.
Great post.
cnollfan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-07-2010, 12:16 PM   #300
FenceBored

Quote:
They trained her to run like that so they shouldn't be surprised. In her last two works she didn't pass her workmates after sitting way back early and they said it was by design. Maybe they should have trained her a little differently or run her on dirt prior to this race just one time.
I told you why that was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenceBored
It's obvious. Shirreffs is psychologically preparing her for a loss. Why else would he accustom her to the idea of not being in front at the wire?
-- http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/s...&postcount=147
FenceBored is offline   Reply With Quote Reply