Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 12-15-2022, 01:02 AM   #1
FRMNBRI

Playing Gulfstream Park?

Its been awhile since I have posted but follow PA daily. Hope everyone is doing well and staying safe.

I have stayed on the sidelines lately playing just Del Mar and Aqueduct (a bit) but last couple weeks have been capping GP since turf is back which is nice. I like seeing some of the bigger names like the Ortiz brothers back in the line up but still GP baffles me. For the life of me I can't cap the all weather track and I find that GP especially differs race to race, day to day. Is anyone having luck at Gulfstream and if so what is something that I might be missing?

I always look forward to the Champions meet because it seems that the higher profile jocks are back in the saddle and you hopefully get the ride that the horse dererves or maybe seems to make sense based on form, sheets etc.. or whatever capping tool you use.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciative. Hope someone here at PA had that pick 6 today. LIFE CHANGING SCORE!!!
FRMNBRI is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-15-2022, 09:41 AM   #2
Robert Fischer
clean money

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRMNBRI View Post
For the life of me I can't cap the all weather track and I find that GP especially differs race to race, day to day. Is anyone having luck at Gulfstream and if so what is something that I might be missing?
I honestly haven't been playing a ton of Gulfstream. Just some spot plays.

Same as you, the meet is starting to get more interesting.

On the all weather track, I still value what the Fat Man taught me about going through the charts and finding a horse that was able to go against the grain. Usually either a forwardly placed horse who was the only pace survivor, or a horse that closed in a 'merry-go-round' race where no one else was passing in the stretch.
Only saw one of those today, and unfortunately was claimed by a low% outfit and his morning line today is lower than he was last time in a big field.

Race 5 today - Poetic Code ran big but probably has new vet etc... 3 weeks later. Double Blessing was at least on the scene entering the stretch. Lugging in a bit, and may have had his form darkened a tiny bit by the forward flow and is 15/1 today. Perhaps an underneath key in Tri or Su?

nothing great jumped out, and I have to go to work on doctor appointment

another mildly interesting horse was Englehart's My Microburst in the 3rd today. Compromised by a poor start, and in the replay there appears to be a significant weather rain storm. Morning line maker could have put a little air in the balloon but instead did the handicapping and made 6/1ml
Horse may stink, but was a mildly interesting replay to watch w/ some changes for today 2ndTime 80 degrees sunny StretchOut DropClass

Last edited by Robert Fischer; 12-15-2022 at 09:46 AM.
Robert Fischer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-15-2022, 11:29 AM   #3
lefty359

Not many early horses win on the Tapeta.
Need Tactical speed. That's my experience anyway.
lefty359 is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-15-2022, 11:54 AM   #4
BarchCapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefty359 View Post
Not many early horses win on the Tapeta.
Need Tactical speed. That's my experience anyway.
Haven't played any Gulfstream, so this got me wondering. Pulled up the BRISnet PPs for a 5f Tapeta race. The race summary page showed:

185 races in the database
36% Wire winners
43% E horses won
30% E/P horses won

So at that distance (assuming the numbers and RS designations are reliable) it would seem early horses prosper.
BarchCapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-15-2022, 12:13 PM   #5
metro

Tapeta as an alternative to off the turf races I can understand. More tapeta races than dirt races on a summer card when the turf course is not available I can't.
metro is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-15-2022, 12:22 PM   #6
lamboguy

i love losing 25% of my money after the horse breaks on top in the first race today.
lamboguy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-15-2022, 12:48 PM   #7
davew

There seem to be only a handful of jockeys that understand the tapeta as well.
davew is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-15-2022, 03:01 PM   #8
FRMNBRI

Thanks everyone for taking the time to reply to my question. Appreciate the charts,notes you attached Robert along with the stats on Tapeta from BarchCapper.

I capped the late pick 5 and got knocked out in 2nd leg. I missed the money that came in on the 3 horse I guess. The funny thing is this year, I had some nice hits at Presquile Downs that races on synthentic track. It seemed that what I saw in the from was more true to how the race panned out. Maybe it was just luck because I definitely struggle with GP, Golden Gate and of course Turway Park. Turfway park is a whole different ball of wax.
Old 12-19-2022, 10:18 AM   #9
metro

Gulfstream ran 20 races over the weekend, 15 on tapeta surface, 5 on the main track.

Championship Meet!
Old 12-19-2022, 10:38 AM   #10
therussmeister
Out-of-town Jasper

Quote:
Originally Posted by metro View Post
Gulfstream ran 20 races over the weekend, 15 on tapeta surface, 5 on the main track.

Championship Meet!
Championship meet starts after Christmas this year.

~Alan Watts
therussmeister is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-19-2022, 10:40 AM   #11
$w1fT
SaratogaFan1

Quote:

Championship Meet!
Technically the championship meet does not begin til next week

But yes, and they wonder why the handle there is down.

I think that if people want to bet a synthetic track, they will bet Turfway, which provides an excellent winter product of full fields.

I don't know what GP wants to be at this point, but the quality of racing there has gone way down.
$w1fT is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-19-2022, 12:02 PM   #12
JohnGalt1

Quote:
Originally Posted by $w1fT View Post

I think that if people want to bet a synthetic track, they will bet Turfway, which provides an excellent winter product of full fields.

I don't know what GP wants to be at this point, but the quality of racing there has gone way down.
When they did the great remodel, I wish they went the way of Aqueduct. Two turf courses and either a dirt or Tapeta track.
JohnGalt1 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-19-2022, 02:41 PM   #13
metro

Quote:
Originally Posted by $w1fT View Post

Oaklawn obviously benefits with horsemen migrating south with stables dominated with dirt horses. Tampa would seem to benefit as well but I haven't noticed an uptick there.

Maybe it will get better at GP once the new year turns over but I'm not holding my breath.
Old 12-19-2022, 03:23 PM   #14
FRMNBRI

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnGalt1 View Post
When they did the great remodel, I wish they went the way of Aqueduct. Two turf courses and either a dirt or Tapeta track.
Agree 100%. The Tapeta was suppose to help with the handle bc they were loosing so many horses when the turf got rained out. The handle is dropping bc the quality of racing and lets just say some IMO the ethics behind GP. For a track that is owned by Stronach racing they allow alot of horse to run with no works and trainers that have zero record at all, basically anywhere. Orlando Sanchez Rodriguez Jimenez Rancho III (joking) has a first time starter at 50-1 ML and zero works that runs light out.
Old 12-20-2022, 09:18 AM   #15
azeri98

Quote:

Championship Meet!
It rained
azeri98 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply