Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Computers

Old 01-13-2014, 10:21 AM   #1
HUSKER55

My Computer is Slow

I have an AGP6 from AMD in my computer and 12 gigs of ram.

All of a sudden my computer is slow to load, move from web page to web page or anything else you care to do. To add insult to injury, getting on the net and staying on the net is becomming hit and miss.

TWC gave me a new modem and I bought a new router. Neither of which seem to make much of a difference. TWC has sent 5 repair guys to see if they could fix it and none of them have an idea. The last guy put in a new line from the pole to the house to see if there was a difference.

I was thinking more band width but I thought I would ask for some ideas.

I switched to chrome but that didn't change anything. I am looking at open office and getting rid of microsoft to see if that would help, but somehow I don't think that will make a difference.

AVG says there are no threats on my computer and the tune-up program says I am at 90%. Time of day doesn't seem to matter so I am pretty sure it is on my end.

Has anyone run into anything like this? Any ideas?

Thanks! Any thoughts are welcomed!

Thank you boys and girls!

No Balls.......No baby!

Have you ever noticed that those who do not have a pot to piss in nor a window to throw it out of always seem to know how to handle the money of those who do.
HUSKER55 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-13-2014, 10:42 AM   #2
TimesTheyRAChangin
Fast Women & Slow Horses!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUSKER55
I have an AGP6 from AMD in my computer and 12 gigs of ram.

All of a sudden my computer is slow to load, move from web page to web page or anything else you care to do. To add insult to injury, getting on the net and staying on the net is becomming hit and miss.

TWC gave me a new modem and I bought a new router. Neither of which seem to make much of a difference. TWC has sent 5 repair guys to see if they could fix it and none of them have an idea. The last guy put in a new line from the pole to the house to see if there was a difference.

I was thinking more band width but I thought I would ask for some ideas.

I switched to chrome but that didn't change anything. I am looking at open office and getting rid of microsoft to see if that would help, but somehow I don't think that will make a difference.

AVG says there are no threats on my computer and the tune-up program says I am at 90%. Time of day doesn't seem to matter so I am pretty sure it is on my end.

Has anyone run into anything like this? Any ideas?

Thank you boys and girls!
H55,
Have you tried resetting to a date before the trouble started?
Barry
TimesTheyRAChangin is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-13-2014, 10:50 AM   #3
Red Knave
dGnr8

-For internet, go to http://www.speedtest.net/ or one of the many speed testing sites out there and try a few tests to see what kind of results you get. Compare that to what you are paying for.

-There are also a lot of tweaks you can do to your internet settings to help speed things up. Google Internet Tweaks and check them out but be careful applying them. If you have any doubts, don't do it. A number of software utility programs, like System Mechanic, can set some common parameters correctly for your type of connection also.

-Start the Windows Task Manager and see whether some process is using up a lot of CPU percentage.

-Turn off your anti virus for a few minutes and see if that speeds things up.

-Use CCleaner or a utility like that to clean up caches, cookies etc.

The takers get the honey, the givers sing the blues - Robin Trower, Too Rolling Stoned - 1974
Red Knave is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-13-2014, 01:34 PM   #4
jerry-g

I suppose those hot shots thought of defraging your hard drive. If not, there
are free open source files that will do a nice job and if you choose full
optimation, they put more frequently used files in front and less in the back.

I can provide a link to the open source defragger if you need it.
Old 01-13-2014, 05:12 PM   #5
HUSKER55

i DID THE PING TEST. gota a "D" for national average at 16.13 download and a .5 upload. Globally the gave me a "C". I called TWC and their rep said our records say you are just fine. I am paying for 20.

Yep! going down to their office tomorrow and they will remember me. I may need to start a "bail me out" program.

The gal was smooth. Didn't pause or stutter. Talk about a canned speech. Of coarse, she has had a lot of practice.

I am going to disengage soft malware and AVG and I will let you know.

Thanks!

No Balls.......No baby!

Have you ever noticed that those who do not have a pot to piss in nor a window to throw it out of always seem to know how to handle the money of those who do.
Old 01-13-2014, 05:57 PM   #6
Dave Schwartz

Empty your cache. That can be a huge slowdown.
Dave Schwartz is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-13-2014, 09:00 PM   #7
tupper

Live CD/DVD.

Quote:
Boot a live CD/DVD.

You will be able to tell instantly whether or not your problem is your software or your ISP (or, possibly, hardware).

Until you try a decent live CD/DVD, you won't realize what you have been missing.

Find a small, snappy distro. I used to recommend Parted Magic, but now they charge for a download (not sure how they swing that, since it's open source). I am willing to help you find another one.
tupper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-14-2014, 06:46 PM   #8
HUSKER55

Well, my computer got fixed but I still don't understand. So I am passing this along so if it happens to you there will be another place to start.

I got lost in all the terms. (what else is new), but when you reboot your modem and router at home, it is not the same as when they do it and also reboot their end.

That solved the problem but I have not got one clue what they told me. I think I was brushed off. Why didn't they do that in the beginning?

Oh, well.....

Thanks for your input guys. I appreciate your help.

No Balls.......No baby!

Old 01-15-2014, 03:38 PM   #9
whodoyoulike
Veteran

Quote:
Well, my computer got fixed but I still don't understand. So I am passing this along so if it happens to you there will be another place to start.

I got lost in all the terms. (what else is new), but when you reboot your modem and router at home, it is not the same as when they do it and also reboot their end.

That solved the problem but I have not got one clue what they told me. I think I was brushed off. Why didn't they do that in the beginning?

Oh, well.....

Thanks for your input guys. I appreciate your help.
Have you tried using IE (Tools Inprivate browsing feature) or Chrome's (Incognito feature)? I first deleted the browsing history and then used the previously mentioned features. My computer seems to run a lot faster. A downside in IE appears to be, you have to re-enter your passwords. In Chrome, you have to re-enter your user name. Chrome appears to remember your passwords.

Hope this helps.
whodoyoulike is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-15-2014, 06:43 PM   #10
badcompany

I'm getting rid of my windows laptop and getting an Apple. I actually dread turning on the machine as it is always an unpleasant experience. Steve Jobs said Microsoft makes third rate products and boy was he right.

― Thomas Sowell
badcompany is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-16-2014, 11:02 AM   #11
_______
Veteran

Glad you got the problem fixed.

Just an FYI on your speed test. Read the contract from your IP. They have to provide you "up to" the promised speed.

It's a cap they place on access, not a guarantee of your speed.
_______ is offline   Reply With Quote Reply