Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Old 09-02-2015, 09:15 AM   #1
mikesal57
Veteran

Is PRN still around?

I was going through some old post and saw Phillips Racing Newsletter... is it still around???
Went to there site and lo and behold ...they are!!
I still have issues from 1994 to 2004 and I don't know if I stopped it or it went by the wayside. There were so many systems , it made my head spin...and to my recalling ,I think they weren't really profitable.
They still have names that make your mouth water like, PHILLIPS 55% DUTCH, DOUBLE PLAY,MAIDEN FLYER, POWER/PACE II, PHILLIPS QUICK TWO-FACTOR WINNER,PHILLIPS EASY 150% ROI LONGSHOT METHOD..etc. etc.
Being more skilled at Excel ( than 20 years ago...lol) , I believe that there can be some conversions on most of these systems...but time is the problem

Anyone still subscribes or has used these system back then or today?

Mike

Last edited by mikesal57; 09-02-2015 at 09:24 AM.
mikesal57 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-02-2015, 09:33 AM   #2
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

That is where I heard of Doc Sartin back in the day.
Used to get that all the time - always looking for that one system that I would cash in on.

I would like to know if they are still around, too.
Old 09-02-2015, 09:46 AM   #3
Dr Gonzo
Bluesman

http://www.phillipsracingnewsletter.com/
Old 09-02-2015, 09:48 AM   #4
mikesal57
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Gonzo

Yep...thats where it is....

at the bottom shows only 8100 hits on that page...not too good for something that been around 25 years..
Old 09-02-2015, 10:08 AM   #5
upthecreek

Prn

Yes still very much around Its Run by Alan Dietrich,Russ's son They now also have a E-System club where he sends out a system @ the end of each month. I provide weekly selection to E-club members(Saratoga right now) & Rod Young of Turfdom provides news & notes for Dmr. I'm also a monthy contributor to the newsletter.Ive have reviewed Timeform pp's okd by CJ & Marc and also did a 4 part series's on the Gapfire numbers by Kevin Park and his dads with their approval Its still a fair publication.

Last edited by upthecreek; 09-02-2015 at 10:13 AM.
upthecreek is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-02-2015, 11:36 AM   #6
mikesal57
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by upthecreek
Yes still very much around Its Run by Alan Dietrich,Russ's son They now also have a E-System club where he sends out a system @ the end of each month. I provide weekly selection to E-club members(Saratoga right now) & Rod Young of Turfdom provides news & notes for Dmr. I'm also a monthy contributor to the newsletter.Ive have reviewed Timeform pp's okd by CJ & Marc and also did a 4 part series's on the Gapfire numbers by Kevin Park and his dads with their approval Its still a fair publication.
Thats great Creeky....I'll sign up and check it out

But one thing....Why would you need approval if your giving an un-biased review on a product?

Mike
Old 09-02-2015, 12:09 PM   #7
upthecreek

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesal57
Thats great Creeky....I'll sign up and check it out

But one thing....Why would you need approval if your giving an un-biased review on a product?

Mike
They dont,more of a courtesy and a fact check before I submit
Old 09-02-2015, 12:44 PM   #8
upthecreek

Quote:
They dont,more of a courtesy and a fact check before I submit
I meant I don't submit for their approval but to make sure the review is factually correct In the case of the Gapfire #'s I needed permission to use copyright material Along with reviews, I submit handicapping articles as well
Old 09-02-2015, 01:13 PM   #9
NorCalGreg
Authorized Advertiser

Quote:
I meant I don't submit for their approval but to make sure the review is factually correct In the case of the Gapfire #'s I needed permission to use copyright material Along with reviews, I submit handicapping articles as well
Been a subscriber for years.....it's kind of folksy and low-tech, but that's part of it's charm. I look forward to my copy every month
NorCalGreg is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-02-2015, 01:14 PM   #10
Fingal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom
That is where I heard of Doc Sartin back in the day.
Used to get that all the time - always looking for that one system that I would cash in on.

I would like to know if they are still around, too.
Same thing about Sartin, getting the yellow manual & then entering the program on an old Atari 400 with the membrane keyboard. Phillip's when it was Russ Dietrich was....different.

Wish I still had my old Barry Meadow newsletters he did in the later 90's-early 2000's but I remember one where he took on the system claims of the "new" PRN as being less than accurate.

From his website-

http://www.trpublishing.com/?page_id=339

Quote:
November 1996

The Phony Workouts Of Phillips Newsletter exposes what really goes on in that publication
Fingal is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-02-2015, 01:18 PM   #11
NorCalGreg
Authorized Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fingal
Same thing about Sartin, getting the yellow manual & then entering the program on an old Atari 400 with the membrane keyboard. Phillip's when it was Russ Dietrich was....different.

Wish I still had my old Barry Meadow newsletters he did in the later 90's-early 2000's but I remember one where he took on the system claims of the "new" PRN as being less than accurate.

From his website-

http://www.trpublishing.com/?page_id=339
Well if you'll notice Barry went out of business years ago, and PRN is still going strong. Matter of fact--Meadow is trying to sell his old newletters from 15-20 years ago, in a shameless act of desperation from a bitter and broken man.
NorCalGreg is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-02-2015, 01:58 PM   #12
Fingal

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalGreg
Well if you'll notice Barry went out of business years ago, and PRN is still going strong. Matter of fact--Meadow is trying to sell his old newletters from 15-20 years ago, in a shameless act of desperation from a bitter and broken man.
Only stating a fact of what Barry Meadow published, not just my opinion.

Where does the bitter & broken man part come from ? Just because something has some age doesn't mean it's content is worthless. That's like saying the stuff Ray Taulbot wrote in the 1950's about pace is irrelevant today. On Meadow's home page I see listings for current columns he's written on various sites such as Paulick, American Turf & HANA, so evidently they feel he has something to say of value.
Fingal is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-02-2015, 02:35 PM   #13
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalGreg
So...according to you, Barry committed an injustice by exposing a rag of a publication which has been misleading horseplayers for decades? The PRN has been giving its thumb of approval to more worthless systems than anyone could count...and they should be commended for their "investigative" efforts?

Sure Barry is out of business while the PRN is still "going strong"...this is only logical...and it says more about the mental stability of the horseplayers than it does about Barry's work. Regrettably...the majority of the horseplayers can't handle the truth about their favorite game. They'd rather be lied to...
Old 09-02-2015, 04:50 PM   #14
cnollfan

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-raci...ng-media-award
cnollfan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-02-2015, 05:09 PM   #15
thaskalos

Barry Meadow didn't sell "pie-in-the-sky"...and he actually wagered serious money while using the information that he shared with the public. That put him in the small minority among handicapping authors...and for that he deserves respect. He sure's got mine.