Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 07-29-2015, 09:11 PM   #1
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Haskell purse increase

I don't what most people think, but this stinks to high heaven in my opinion. Very fishy move that I think was probably known in advance by certain owners, but not others.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-29-2015, 09:15 PM   #2
ronsmac

Basically the 500k appearance fee I figured it was going to take to get Zayat to run. It may be a good business move if the numbers meet projections. They couldn't take any chance and lose AP. I believe Philly will be watching the attendance and handle numbers closely. They'll have to estimate the right number to get AP next and still make money.

Last edited by ronsmac; 07-29-2015 at 09:18 PM.
ronsmac is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-29-2015, 10:48 PM   #3
thespaah

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronsmac
Basically the 500k appearance fee I figured it was going to take to get Zayat to run. It may be a good business move if the numbers meet projections. They couldn't take any chance and lose AP. I believe Philly will be watching the attendance and handle numbers closely. They'll have to estimate the right number to get AP next and still make money.
Should AP come out of the Haskell in good order, do you think Zayat will go to the PA Derby next?
thespaah is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-29-2015, 10:50 PM   #4
thespaah

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
I don't what most people think, but this stinks to high heaven in my opinion. Very fishy move that I think was probably known in advance by certain owners, but not others.
Well, now I hope some other connections are willing to take a shot at knocking off AP...What do you think?
thespaah is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-29-2015, 10:54 PM   #5
elhelmete

I can't tell if this was done in time to allow for late/supplemental entries?
elhelmete is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-29-2015, 10:59 PM   #6
lamboguy

it is pretty sad to see the direction that this game has gone to. this is just another basic disgrace.

in other parts of the world, this horse would never retire at the ripe old age of 3 either. everyone including the insurance company's get rich on this deal except for the game itself and its fans.
lamboguy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-29-2015, 11:59 PM   #7
spiketoo

It would have helped to actually post the story...

OCEANPORT, N.J. – Late Wednesday afternoon, shortly before Triple Crown winner American Pharoah arrived at Monmouth Park, track management raised the purse of Sunday's Grade 1 Haskell Invitational from $1 million to $1.75 million.

The purse increase comes less than 24 hours before entries were to be taken for the Haskell. There are four stakes for 3-year-olds in the East this week, and the competition for horses has been intense.

The $100,000 Curlin Stakes will be run Friday at Saratoga. On Saturday, the Grade 2, $600,000 Jim Dandy will be run at Saratoga and the Grade 2, $750,000 West Virginia Derby will be run at Mountaineer. On Sunday, American Pharoah tops the Haskell. All four stakes are at 1 1/8 miles.

Some horsemen have been on the fence regarding which race to choose. The hope of Monmouth management is that the extra $750,000 in purse money for the Haskell will help them make up their minds.

"It's a great purse, and hopefully we get an extra horse or two," said Mike Dempsey, the director of racing at Monmouth Park.
spiketoo is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-30-2015, 12:52 AM   #8
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by thespaah
Well, now I hope some other connections are willing to take a shot at knocking off AP...What do you think?
Purse increases are far better than appearance fees, for this reason.

Hollywood Park upped the purse of the Swaps Stakes, got Seattle Slew, and George Pope pocketed $300,000 for upsetting him.

That's exactly the way it should work.

Last edited by dilanesp; 07-30-2015 at 12:53 AM.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-30-2015, 12:56 AM   #9
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamboguy
it is pretty sad to see the direction that this game has gone to. this is just another basic disgrace.

in other parts of the world, this horse would never retire at the ripe old age of 3 either. everyone including the insurance company's get rich on this deal except for the game itself and its fans.
That IS the real problem, but you can blame St. Penny Tweedy for THAT. (Count Fleet also retired early, but had a legitimate injury. Secretariat just had an owner who wanted a quick buck.)

You'll see more triple crown winners, but you'll never see a career like Affirmed or Citation ever again.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-30-2015, 01:30 AM   #10
Fingal

Didn't make sense. Don't you already have Pharoah for your race ? Wouldn't that 750K be better served by adding it to the general purse fund to help support the owners & trainers that don't have an American Pharoah in their barn ?
Fingal is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-30-2015, 06:43 AM   #11
camourous

"The Haskell has been called the fourth jewel of the Triple Crown," said Bob Kulina, president of Darby Development, operators of Monmouth Park.

Triple means three, not four...
camourous is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-30-2015, 07:02 AM   #12
Donttellmeshowme
Veteran

Quote:
Should AP come out of the Haskell in good order, do you think Zayat will go to the PA Derby next?

Ughh Nope..........
Donttellmeshowme is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-30-2015, 08:04 AM   #13
TravisVOX
Track Announcer

It's easy to speculate on a message board. Who knows the parameters behind this decision. Perhaps they were waiting until he landed in NJ to ensure his participation before putting up the additional money.

I would argue that the 487 horses double entering this weekend is far more of a "problem" than this.
TravisVOX is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-30-2015, 08:30 AM   #14
camourous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donttellmeshowme
Ughh Nope..........
Parx is going to throw a whole lot of money at them for him to just show up, thats the only reason they would go there.
camourous is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-30-2015, 08:44 AM   #15
ronsmac

Quote:
The way Bayern won the Haskell, Pa Derby and then the Breeeders cup, it would seem logical. Plus Parx has that bonus for winning tc races and the Haskell. If Delmar offers them an amazing deal and the horse can make the quick turnaround then who knows? I just want to see the horse make it to the Breeders Cup. That'll be fun.
ronsmac is offline   Reply With Quote Reply