Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 11-25-2018, 02:19 AM   #31
AskinHaskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by freehouse2002 View Post
It’ll probably be Dinnerman. Young, eager, cheaper.

if his voice ever changes, maybe... (or is it changing now?)
AskinHaskin is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-25-2018, 02:26 AM   #32
Fingal

From reading the Paulick article, Ritvo said the new announcer will be "more involved " with the track. Made me think of Ed Burgart at Los Al & all the hats he's worn over the years besides being the announcer.

If this new guy at SA can also make a morning line.... if I was Jon White I'd start sitting against the wall to block any knives being aimed at my back.
Fingal is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-25-2018, 09:15 AM   #33
upthecreek

From LA Times

What some of you liked about Wrona is what got him fired:
No one offered an explanation, or much of anything, on what precipitated the move. But the speculation is that Wrona’s style of giving lots of information on the horses during the race did not sit sell with Tim Ritvo, the chief operating officer at the Stronach Company.
upthecreek is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-25-2018, 09:32 AM   #34
Andy Asaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by upthecreek View Post
What some of you liked about Wrona is what got him fired:
No one offered an explanation, or much of anything, on what precipitated the move. But the speculation is that Wrona’s style of giving lots of information on the horses during the race did not sit sell with Tim Ritvo, the chief operating officer at the Stronach Company.
I think Cherwa, who I like got this one dead wrong. IMO behind the scenes politics played a big role.
Andy Asaro is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-25-2018, 09:59 AM   #35
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Imagine that loose cannon giving information to the customers!
They should lop off his head for that!
Old 11-25-2018, 10:14 AM   #36
AstrosFan
math/science # cruncher

Matt Dinerman is a cheap hire, sounds horrible and clearly shouldn’t be in the position he is in today. He can thank Larry for his jobs and the same for Stone, but sadly the crop of today’s callers aren’t good and most track managements do not care who is on the roof calling races. Who is the cheapest? You’re hired!

Mark Johnson towers over the boring Stone at CD who wants to so badly be Durkin’s shadow. But does it even matter? Racing continues to chop dates and the foal crop is dropping and most racinos treat their product like a sideshow attraction like Penn National, Mahoning Valley and the list goes on.
AstrosFan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-25-2018, 10:37 AM   #37
airford1

I live 10 minutes from Santa Anita and have 45 years of patronage and will NEVER go back again. Pretty simple for me and saving money too. Racing cant save itself. IDIOTS.
airford1 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-25-2018, 10:55 AM   #38
CheckMark

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstrosFan View Post
Matt Dinerman is a cheap hire, sounds horrible and clearly shouldn’t be in the position he is in today. He can thank Larry for his jobs and the same for Stone, but sadly the crop of today’s callers aren’t good and most track managements do not care who is on the roof calling races. Who is the cheapest? You’re hired!

Mark Johnson towers over the boring Stone at CD who wants to so badly be Durkin’s shadow. But does it even matter? Racing continues to chop dates and the foal crop is dropping and most racinos treat their product like a sideshow attraction like Penn National, Mahoning Valley and the list goes on.
I agree with what you say about both. Dinerman would need a BIG wake up call from going from his small track to a big track like Santa Anita (apparently not now ) and Johnson is alright but he scared the s*** our of me when he announces the derby. I wouldn’t be a terrible announcer if they were looking for a young lad but I would need lots of practice.
CheckMark is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-25-2018, 10:56 AM   #39
airford1

Trying to send a message to Santa Anita and they have a verification program that keeps asking you to confirm you are real and it goes on for ever. They want to close.
Old 11-25-2018, 11:03 AM   #40
CheckMark

Quote:
Originally Posted by airford1 View Post
Trying to send a message to Santa Anita and they have a verification program that keeps asking you to confirm you are real and it goes on for ever. They want to close.
Guess I will have to switch handicapping at Santa Anita on December 26th and wait until January 25th when Oaklawn opens up.
Old 11-25-2018, 11:06 AM   #41
airford1

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheckMark View Post
Guess I will have to switch handicapping at Santa Anita on December 26th and wait until January 25th when Oaklawn opens up.
Easy to do if you have a life. I'll be Drag Racing and fishing on Lake Powell.
Old 11-25-2018, 11:17 AM   #42
CheckMark

Quote:
Originally Posted by airford1 View Post
Easy to do if you have a life. I'll be Drag Racing and fishing on Lake Powell.
Good luck. I am doing a project with Mark the magician on oaklawn and how him and others do!
Old 11-25-2018, 11:20 AM   #43
airford1

Truth is that Santa Anita doesn't have much to offer anymore.
Old 11-25-2018, 11:33 AM   #44
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prioress Ply View Post
According to the experts on this very site, like Dilanesp, SA is doing just fine. What a fing joke this has become.
I think I actually said that Santa Anita might not be around in 20 years. Though I don't see how firing an announcer has anything to do with it.

Having said that, while Wrona is a great announcer, this isn't the first personnel issue he has had. Hollywood let him go a couple of times and he may have left some other places involuntarily as well.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-25-2018, 11:35 AM   #45
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReplayRandall View Post
Let's not get carried away now.....Wrona isn't in the same league as Trevor.
I think he's better actually. Most detailed announcer I ever heard.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply