Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

View Poll Results: American Pharoah's next race
Travers 42 43.75%
Pacific Classic 17 17.71%
PA Derby 22 22.92%
JC Gold Cup 11 11.46%
Other (please explain) 4 4.17%
Voters: 96. This poll is closed

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 08-03-2015, 05:01 PM   #106
BlinkersOn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grits
You're exactly right, sure can. And it's done something to this one. Big time.
You would never think a heart attack is a good thing to happen, but it caused a 180 with Bob Baffert. He used to be one of my least favorite trainers, and now he's right up there with my favorites. He is so much more compassionate and caring then he used to be. He sure has a special spot in his heart for AP, and that's obvious. He was choking up yesterday just talking about him. He's really changed for the better.
BlinkersOn is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-03-2015, 05:16 PM   #107
EMD4ME
NoPoints4ME

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
That would be a fabulous race for about 6 or 7 furlongs.
Not true CJ!

Texas Red won't be close to him early so it will never be a race.
EMD4ME is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-03-2015, 05:20 PM   #108
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMD4ME
Not true CJ!

Texas Red won't be close to him early so it will never be a race.
His early speed has picked up, I think he'd be able to see him at least.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-03-2015, 05:48 PM   #109
EMD4ME
NoPoints4ME

It's not PA!!!!!

YIPPEE.

Zayat said on twitter, no Penn Derby.
Old 08-03-2015, 05:49 PM   #110
EMD4ME
NoPoints4ME

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
His early speed has picked up, I think he'd be able to see him at least.

You're assuming Texas Red has good long sighted vision
Old 08-03-2015, 06:26 PM   #111
Fingal

I've gone through all 8 pages here ( So far it's 8) & surprisingly haven't seen one post repeating what Tom Hammond mentioned briefly on the NBC broadcast, that Monmouth is working to see if they can create a million+ dollar race for Pharoah in September as a final prep before the BC.

As it's been said that Baffert has a distaste for Saratoga, he has the same amount of like for Monmouth.

Personally I'd like to see AP in the Awesome Again. There was talk of a Pacific Classic/Awesome Again/BC Classic bonus, but if the Pacific Classic is out because of that older horse bit, I wouldn't doubt Stronach would do all he could to make an Awesome Again/ BC Classic bonus work.

Last edited by Fingal; 08-03-2015 at 06:27 PM.
Fingal is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-03-2015, 06:27 PM   #112
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
It's not PA!!!!!

YIPPEE.

Zayat said on twitter, no Penn Derby.
If he sticks to that will be interesting. That is a long gap between the Classic and the Travers.
Old 08-03-2015, 07:06 PM   #113
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Things can change, but as of now I've seen the owner rule out both the Pacific Classic and the PA Derby. What is left, Travers or made up Monmouth race?
Old 08-03-2015, 07:18 PM   #114
Grits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fingal
I've gone through all 8 pages here ( So far it's 8) & surprisingly haven't seen one post repeating what Tom Hammond mentioned briefly on the NBC broadcast, that Monmouth is working to see if they can create a million+ dollar race for Pharoah in September as a final prep before the BC.

As it's been said that Baffert has a distaste for Saratoga, he has the same amount of like for Monmouth.

Personally I'd like to see AP in the Awesome Again. There was talk of a Pacific Classic/Awesome Again/BC Classic bonus, but if the Pacific Classic is out because of that older horse bit, I wouldn't doubt Stronach would do all he could to make an Awesome Again/ BC Classic bonus work.
This has been mentioned. It's in the links provided, or mentioned by a poster in these two threads about AP's race, and his next out race.

Here ya go, Fingal. In one of the links.

Quote:
This year the Pennsylvania Derby Sept. 19 at Parx Racing could be an enticing target for American Pharoah. And Monmouth officials told the Asbury Park Press they are working to put together a million-dollar September race to draw a return visit from the Triple Crown winner.

Last edited by Grits; 08-03-2015 at 07:21 PM.
Grits is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-03-2015, 07:27 PM   #115
classhandicapper

They have the same dilemma other connections have had since the start of the Breeder's Cup era.

Do you try to run the table with the best horse or do you try to increase the probability that the horse will be fresh and able to fire its peak in the Classic?

They have a once in a lifetime horse. So the temptation has to be to just bury everyone in the best available race every month on the schedule. But if you are shipping all over the country running in the toughest race every month, IMO the chances of being over the top for the Classic are higher than running one more time and then going into the Classic.

It's not an easy call.

Personally, I think the gap between the Travers and the Classic is too long. If they go to the Travers, they may have to run again, but I don't think they should go out of their way for another tough spot.

How about Travers, Awesome Again (give the CA fans a chance to see him) and then the Classic?

That seems like a reasonable compromise.

I don't think skipping the Travers is a terrible idea either (I already have plans for the Travers after seeing that performance in the Haskell). The PA Derby is the best timing for one race and then the Classic, but that seems a little weak.

Last edited by classhandicapper; 08-03-2015 at 07:29 PM.
classhandicapper is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-03-2015, 08:12 PM   #116
uncbossfan

Any chance Keeneland creates a race Oct 3rd on their fall stars weekend for AP? Let him get around the track once before the BC then he can stay stabled at Kee or back at CD where he seemed comfortable.

Regardless I just want him healthy come oct 31st. Good luck big fella!!
uncbossfan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-03-2015, 10:29 PM   #117
nijinski

Quote:
You're assuming Texas Red has good long sighted vision
We also have to assume Texas Red can put two winning races together. Lol
nijinski is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-03-2015, 11:39 PM   #118
raybo
EXCEL with SUPERFECTAS

It's looking more and more likely that we see AP in the special race at Monmouth and not again until the JCGC. He looks in fine shape, after that timed and paid workout in the Haskell, to go in the Travers, but I just don't see them running again that soon. I think now, he runs a race in September and again in the JCGC, as a freshening before the BCC.

Personally, I'd love to see him run 3 races before the BCC, but doubt seriously that he will. And, the BCC will probably be his last race.

Excel Spreadsheet Handicapping Forum

Charter Member: Horseplayers Association of North America
raybo is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-04-2015, 12:04 AM   #119
comet52

I'm guessing the Travers for three reasons:

-Coolmore bonus

-rumors at Monmouth

-this quote: “I’m not worried about Saratoga, or the surface or anything like that,” Baffert said. “I’m concerned with ‘Pharoah’ being at the top of his game. Only he can tell me by the way he works.”

To me that sounds like the choice is the Travers if the horse is ok, if not they probably shoot for the PA Derby. But I'd have to think he's fine.
comet52 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-04-2015, 01:52 AM   #120
ronsmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by comet52
I'm guessing the Travers for three reasons:

-Coolmore bonus

-rumors at Monmouth

-this quote: “I’m not worried about Saratoga, or the surface or anything like that,” Baffert said. “I’m concerned with ‘Pharoah’ being at the top of his game. Only he can tell me by the way he works.”

To me that sounds like the choice is the Travers if the horse is ok, if not they probably shoot for the PA Derby. But I'd have to think he's fine.
I forgot about the Travers bonus, it appears coolmore gives a bonus for the Haskell , BC , and horse of the year also.
ronsmac is offline   Reply With Quote Reply